The Tick

Adsl 2+ Modem/ Router Recommendations

I have a reasonably simple home network.

At present, my linksys all-in-one-crapola is pissing me off, in fact, most of the newer linksys offerings to the home/ soho market have left me less than impressed.

I am looking for an alternative.

I currently have an Apple time capsule running as my wifi AP so the end solution does not need to have wifi (although if a unit that fit all the criteria had it I have no problem just turning it off).

Basically, this is what I am after.

Need to have:

1. ADSL 2+

2. Reliable (prefer the least amount of power cycling as possible. It will be hooked up to UPS)

3. Port forwarding - I have a static IP and run VPN connections into the network (no the modem/ router does not need to handle VPN) as well as ... other inbound routing requirements.

4. QOS - voip

As someone who has primarily used linksys and have only come across the shitful offerings of D-Link product in the field I am at a loss as to what I should be looking for.

What is your budget? a little cisco 1841 could be what you are looking for. Failing that, I have heard good things about the draytec units (never tried it myself however)

I am pretty flexible with budget. While I would prefer to keep this purchase sub $300 if the right unit was presented I might consider upping that.

I am not familiar with cisco gear. Is it still command line configuration or have they moved to GUI? Is it still overly priced for business markets only?

My network is still a home network. While I know my way around networks generally I have never configured Cisco and the like.

I am pretty flexible with budget. While I would prefer to keep this purchase sub $300 if the right unit was presented I might consider upping that.

I am not familiar with cisco gear. Is it still command line configuration or have they moved to GUI? Is it still overly priced for business markets only?

My network is still a home network. While I know my way around networks generally I have never configured Cisco and the like.

Probably way out side your budget then.. I think we can get the 1841 (with a 56% discount) for around the $800 mark. To answer your question there are a couple of different GUI's but at the end of the day, it is easier to do it by hand IMO.

Check out the draytek offering, http://www.draytek.com.au/products.htm. They seem to have a decent following on Whirlpool, and a couple of colleagues swear by them

Haven't heard of Draytek but worth looking into if garlic suggests so.

I'd recommend Billion, I've had great experiences with them and have a lot of good things going for them as a company.

Providing your line quality is good the Billions are supposed to be excellent. Unfortunately they apparently don't handle marginal phone lines to well and I had this experience. I am on a 1500/256 plan and my line stats are pretty poor.

Upstream         Downstream
SNR Margin (dB):        	11.1  	             28.0 
Attenuation (dB): 	        62.0  	             31.5 
Output Power (dBm): 	        16.8  	              8.3 
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 	2112  	             1128 

As a result I had to reboot my 7404VGPM at least daily.

So I replaced it with a cheaparse TP-Link TD-W8920G and I last rebooted it about 2 weeks ago. Doesn't have any voip, but from what I have seen on other forums a lot of the VOIP modems do seem to be iffy, so perhaps a separate VOIP box would be better although it is yet one more device to plug in, configure and keep running.

QOS is more important.

I am very familiar with dedicated voip products and have built and administer a few systems with Trixbox.

Having something that handles both a voip and PSTN backup would be nice more for simplicity though. I would classify that as a nice to have.

Any specific models in the billion range?

Any specific models in the billion range?

Well the reason I got the 7404VGP-M was because it had bandwidth management (QOS) in both directions, based on IP or IP range. Most voip modems seem to only have QOS for upstream and I needed downstream to prevent my brothers PC from hogging all the bandwidth. The 7404VGP and 7401VGP have bi-directional QOS and pretty sure all the Billion VOIP series have this but check the specs (manual) first.

Providing your line quality is good the Billions are supposed to be excellent. Unfortunately they apparently don't handle marginal phone lines to well and I had this experience. I am on a 1500/256 plan and my line stats are pretty poor.

So I replaced it with a cheaparse TP-Link TD-W8920G and I last rebooted it about 2 weeks ago. Doesn't have any voip, but from what I have seen on other forums a lot of the VOIP modems do seem to be iffy, so perhaps a separate VOIP box would be better although it is yet one more device to plug in, configure and keep running.

Hey ppl,

I seem to have some trouble with line noise at my new place, and so looking for a modem/router that can get some good sync speeds with a slightly crappier line. Does anyone know of any comparison type reviews of asstd modems/routers looking at their syncs and line speeds?

I know Atomic did an article like this almost 2 years ago, but anything new since then?

Cheers!

Hey charliek - you may want to start another thread as this one has most likely been browsed by most people.

For the record, I went with the Billion BiPAC 7404VGO which has been pretty solid although I don't think my lines are too bad.

Linksys and Cisco are a pain, i agree. Expensive stuff ROCKS, but thir home or SOHO is just pathetic, unless its a WRT-54-G, caus then you can install custom firmware!!!!!

Moving on, the 'RANGEMAX' series of routers from Netgear have been fantastic, and NEVER locked up.

Dlink id avoid, they tend to cop more of a bad wrap than other brands, though i personally have not used them.

Belkin i'm using now, one that comes with an iinet connection and ive never been happier, belkin seem to have a good wrap online too, so thy're worth considering.

but my highest recommendation is my old modem\router. Netcomm. Known for issues with version 1 firmware, they're often overlooked, however, as soon as they're corrected (usually in one release) they KICK SOME ASS.

best connection ive had, best config interface, fastest boot time, and coolest running ive had a few Netcomm devices).

As for specific ones, i say look into belkin and netcomm and find the model that has your feature list. Once youve done that, read reviews. Caus otherwise its all oppinion.

Linksys and Cisco are a pain, i agree. Expensive stuff ROCKS, but thir home or SOHO is just pathetic, unless its a WRT-54-G, caus then you can install custom firmware!!!!!

Moving on, the 'RANGEMAX' series of routers from Netgear have been fantastic, and NEVER locked up.

Dlink id avoid, they tend to cop more of a bad wrap than other brands, though i personally have not used them.

Belkin i'm using now, one that comes with an iinet connection and ive never been happier, belkin seem to have a good wrap online too, so thy're worth considering.

but my highest recommendation is my old modem\router. Netcomm. Known for issues with version 1 firmware, they're often overlooked, however, as soon as they're corrected (usually in one release) they KICK SOME ASS.

best connection ive had, best config interface, fastest boot time, and coolest running ive had a few Netcomm devices).

As for specific ones, i say look into belkin and netcomm and find the model that has your feature list. Once youve done that, read reviews. Caus otherwise its all oppinion.

I just finished semester 2 of a cisco networking coarse and we had problems with the ISR's there.

At home I use TP-link and have had no problems at all.

Edited by Viperxtx

through my experiences:

Netcomm = shit

Dlink = shit

Linksys = shit unless you manage to find the "good" revision of a sought after model

aaand

netgear = fantastic :D

im looking at a billion for my next router since the wifi has carked it on this linksys one. I would go netgear but in a test the 7300G pulled slightly better line speeds so im going to go for that :D

through my experiences:

Netcomm = shit

Dlink = shit

Linksys = shit unless you manage to find the "good" revision of a sought after model

aaand

netgear = fantastic :D

im looking at a billion for my next router since the wifi has carked it on this linksys one. I would go netgear but in a test the 7300G pulled slightly better line speeds so im going to go for that :D

Hey dude, have you got a link to those tests with the 7300g pulling better line speeds by any chance??