dollfee

Webcam over LAN

OK im sure that this has come up before, infact im sure im the one who brought it up.

So heres the situation. I have 7 Pc's and 2 Lap-Tops in the network. All with webcams. It is a real pain in the ass having to walk into another office (even the one right next to me) just to ask a simple question. We have been using Skype to just video chat to the other offices with great success...... untill the boss found out what we were doing and hit the roof about the excess internet usage and leaving noting for actual work. He said we could continue using the cams as long as it does not impact on the internet downloads.........

SO What I am looking for is some software that will allow me to have video calls over LAN without any internet. We have looked into using VLC with VLVC plugin and that is just not straight forward enough for some. What Im really looking for is someting with a Skype / MSN / IM interface, where you just click on a name and start talking. Im sure im asking for the impossible but if you can help I would owe you big time.

It is a real pain in the ass having to walk into another office (even the one right next to me) just to ask a simple question.

Fuck you've got it hard :-)

Apparently Google Talk also supports video chat now - don't know whether it's peer to peer but I expect it would be - could also check that out. I'm sure there are a multitude of options (with netmeeting being the most obvious).

I know im sounding like a whinger but after stoping what im doing, getting up and going into another office (even the one right next to me) or having someone come in to ask me a simple question, 50+ times a day (no shit) really is a pain in the ass but then thats what we are paid for. Or so the boss tells us. *boss quote* "your not paid to like it, just to do it"

n e way we tried bigant messenger 2day and it works perfectly if all you want to do is type a quick message but as soon as you fire up a voice or cam chat one of te PC's locks up untill the call is terminated.

BTW 6 PC's are running Vista Ultimate x64, 1 laptop and 1 PC are running Vista home premium 32bit and the other laptop is running XP media centre, if that helps at all. Our network is a mix of wired (gigabit) and wireless N (laptops only)

Just keep using skype.

It's peer-to-peer. Therefore the data for the video/voice calls shouldn't leave your local LAN if it's only local LAN people participating.

Of course there's protocol overhead for call initiation and what not, but every other solution you're looking at is likely to have the same, and the overhead would be terribly insignificant.