Girvo

Atomic Photo-a-Week I

Nice, Tak.

If I had to crit it, I'd say take it again, aiming your camera to the right and down a little.

The rectangular geometry of the assembly is a good candidate to practice the "Rule of Thirds".

I'd say it conforms, actually. The pipe is kinda flat white, nothing to really look at. There's not much to see in the centre. The textured wood, however is in the left third, and the cobwebbed and calcium stained tap occupies the right. The bumps on top of the post are in the upper left third, and the knot in the post is in the lower left.

Not that I don't appreciate your help, though :)

:)

What you're saying makes sense, sorta. When I look at that photo, I see a lot of bokeh-filled space in the top left of the image, which distracts me from the subject.

Posted Image

The existing thirds are in red, my suggested thirds are in yellow.

The suggested framing puts the image's interest points on the "intersections" of the thirds divisions. Ideally, you want the timber's knot "on" the lower left intersection, and the tap's seat (where the "handle" goes into the "body") on the top right intersection. This is where zoom lenses come into their element. If your interest points don't line up with your thirds, and you're using a prime lens (fixed focal length), then you're screwed unless you can physically move away from or towards your subject.

I thoroughly suggest this book. You'll most likely be able to source it from an uncle or someThing.

Edited by SquallStrife

Whoa!!

Don't get me wrong, I do like it, the colour and texture are rather nice.

I just wasn't sure if you knew about the rule of thirds, and how it works. You've certainly got the concept of exposure down pat, so once you get an eye for composition, you'll be laughing!

Edit: Also, if it seems like I'm condescending you, my apologies in advance, I have no idea how much prior photography experience you have, so I'm guessing long-time-happy-snapper, first-time-photographer, and basing my advice on that.

Edited by SquallStrife

Dude, I'm just fucking with you. All comments and criticism welcomed :)

As for condescending, not at all man. You're bang on about the happy snapper turned budding prosumer, and it's advice I need if I'm going to make good use of it.

Posted Image

I'm not happy about using this as it was actually taken about a fortnight ago at Sky High in the Dandenongs...just haven't had time to get my shit together this week (forgot to take my camera into town on Wednesday, which really pissed me off).

I promise I'll make better use of my time next week (I'll count next week as my proper Week 1 entry).

Well here's mine. Nothing all that exciting unfortunately. Wasn't taken this week so please excuse that (uni finals...got one today actually lol)

Posted Image

Edited by Oomph

Well here's mine. Nothing all that exciting unfortunately. Wasn't taken this week so please excuse that (uni finals...got one today actually lol)

Posted Image

Man, there's always a blue in your pics that I love :)

The tops of the buildings in the background catch my eye every time.

lol thanks guys.

No star filter here, though I should go make some with odd shapes :P

It was a really hazey night around the building tops (for some reason), which is why the lighting might be a little exaggerated. The star burst on the bottom left I think was left by a car parked with its lights on.

That's a fantastic pic Oomph.

Well since everyone else is putting up something they didn't do this week ... taken a fortnight ago. I haven't used the camera since then. (promises something new for next week).

Posted Image

Well, if we're all posting old photos, this is from last month. Plus, we've got photos of city-scapes and cute shots of children, so I need to lower the standard a bit. This one's for The Tick; another photo from the wild and exciting life of a fruit journalist that I know you'll just go nuts for : D.

Posted Image

Edited by orinjuse

Well since everyone else is putting up something they didn't do this week

Hey!

That's a fantastic pic Oomph.

Well since everyone else is putting up something they didn't do this week ... taken a fortnight ago. I haven't used the camera since then. (promises something new for next week).

Posted Image

I really like that shot. Especially the mischevious look on the little tacker's face. ;P

Anywho, my heavily edited effort was from a few weeks back as well. I was going for the look of the video footage of the bombing of pearl harbour. I'll have a new one for next week for sure as my new camera should arrive on monday.

Posted Image

-X

Is Girvo going to consolidate each week's entries into the OP? Furthermore, is CokeMan going to keep a record in the Project 365 thread?

right.

if we can go as back as fas as we like, I'd like to submit this pic :

Posted Image

It's of Genesis, so it's a while ago :P

Well, if we're all posting old photos, this is from last month. Plus, we've got photos of city-scapes and cute shots of children, so I need to lower the standard a bit. This one's for The Tick; another photo from the wild and exciting life of a fruit journalist that I know you'll just go nuts for : D.

You misrepresent my position on fruit photography - smart arse :P

I think we can pretty much say this week was a trial run :)

awwwwwwww :P

right.

if we can go as back as fas as we like, I'd like to submit this pic :

Posted Image

It's of Genesis, so it's a while ago :P

6,000 years? No fair!

You misrepresent my position on fruit photography - smart arse :P

: D