Techieintraining

Expensive watches

I've got a Maurice Lacroix mechanical watch that I got when it was on special.

Haven't worn it yet, saving it for special occasions.

I have a really beautiful old Omega Seamaster. Its the only accessory like item I have ever worn on my body, and if I lost this watch, I wouldn't get another because I have never seen anything else that is as cool as this one. It broke once and I looked around for half a year for a new watch, but couldnt find anything, so then I had it repaired and valued and was shocked at how much it was worth. It was my dads, and I never knew the original price til then.

Think they are shocking, I want a IWC Large Pilots watch, I doubt I'll ever afford it.

When's the next meet?

Omega, Tag Heuer and Longines are probably the brands you should be looking at.

Rolex and Breitling are out of the price range.

There are plenty of other luxury brands, but the above three are the most well known, and when someone admires your watch, you want them to know that it is a quality timepiece. So a brand that people recognise in Australia is best.

I would personally look very closely at Omega - the James Bond reference is undeniably strong - a watch for men who know quality, but don't need the over the top bling a Rolex or Breitling delivers.

Watches of Switzerland have these brands, so you can compare them side by side.

I've got a Rolex Daytona (fake!! but an excellent copy), a Longines, an Emile Pequignet and a Lorus (!). I prefer to wear the Lorus daily and the Pequignet as my dress watch.

When's the next meet?

Hahaha, I doubt I'd wear it to an Atomic meet. I'd rather not spend the night being paranoid about my expensive watch.

When's the next meet?

Hahaha, I doubt I'd wear it to an Atomic meet. I'd rather not spend the night being paranoid about my expensive watch.

You used to bring your camera!

Hey kungfutiger

Pretty much found that breitling were out of my price range. Not really my style anyway, most were large and heavy as well as having very busy faces alot of the time.

A price tag of $10k didn't help either. What I struggled with was looking at two very similar watches, of the same brand, and finding thousands of dollars difference.

Perhaps there is a point for everyone where price outweighs quality...?

Was at watches of Switzerland today actually, they aren't a bad mob in there and when I do finally make a selection, that'll be my port of call I'd say.

Virul, don't you trust us Bristomicans?

Edited by Techieintraining

You used to bring your camera!

It depends on the meet now. Last time was for Live 08, IIRC.

Techieintraining - It's not that I don't trust other Atomicans, I don't trust myself, especially when alcohol is involved! :P

I have an Astbury Stellar (gift from a former Atomican) and a Georg Jensen Koppel 321A, neither of which I wear often for fear of losing them.

The Stellar is a nice hefty automatic, and I love the transparent back cause you can see the gears and everything. Speaks to the engineer inside me.

The Koppel is a very elegant watch. It is not showy, it just quitely proclaims itself better than anything else.

Those 2 brands are less well known, but I really like their work. If you are fine not running after just a brand name, check those 2 out.

Well, it may come down to four choices

Tag Heuer Monaco - Automatic -black face - leather strap

Omega Deville Chronoscope - Automatic - black leather strap

Omega Speedmaster - Automatic - black face, two straps - metal and a black Alligator strap

Omega Seamaster- Automatic - blue face - metal strap

Happy hunting, and let us all know what watch you invested in.

Edited by kungfutiger

I have this one and a very old seamaster.

For me you cannot go past an Omega.

Dont like dress watches much.

I can't belive that no one has mentioned TokyoFlash. Even just for the lulz value.

I have a Fossil watch that i have had for about a decade. Have been thinking about getting a new one for about a year, hard to find exactly what I want.

While I do admire many of the more expensive watches, the majority of them are friggin huge. I don't like having a massive chunk of metal on my wrist that shouts "look at me". I wanted a watch something a little more, well little :) I hadn't had a watch for ages, and I'm not one who can justify spending big bucks on just a watch, so I ended up with this. You can't tell from the pic but it's quite thin which I like...

well Id love to spend 2k+ on a watch but in reality its just not possible.i have however got two seiko watches one manual thats lasted 6 years with one battery change and still going strong and another automataic my now wife bought me for an engagement present which also hasn't missed a beat. Both were under a thousand dollars new.

The omega seamaster would be my pick, stay away from leather bands as they can fuck up from getting wet etc.

Edited by donaldo74

Like the look of the speedmaster and the seamaster kungfutiger but the seamaster is a little dressier.

I also know what you are saying macdude, that seemed to be especially true of the breitlings which were most often

massive and very heavy.

I guess to an extent I am chasing a brand, and the idea of this thread and my research is to establish whether or not

it IS just a brand or whether the name stands for a little more than that.

Thanks for the replies guys,

keep em coming

Like the look of the speedmaster and the seamaster kungfutiger but the seamaster is a little dressier.

I also know what you are saying macdude, that seemed to be especially true of the breitlings which were most often

massive and very heavy.

I guess to an extent I am chasing a brand, and the idea of this thread and my research is to establish whether or not

it IS just a brand or whether the name stands for a little more than that.

Thanks for the replies guys,

keep em coming

It's obviously a personal choice, and it depends on what you're looking for. There is a difference between a dress watch and an every day watch, there is also a difference between what is a fashion accessory and what is essentially a device for telling the time. :)

All are valid. I have seen however, people by dress watches for every day use and after a few months they end up sitting in a drawer because they aren't practical. It's a pity you can't take one for a test drive to see what it feels like after wearing it for a day...

Having been bought the most beautiful Tissot PR50 Titanium by Gir, I've appreciated having a nice brand of watch that wears well. The titanium model is highly understated and incredibly light - something that I appreciate all the time.

Having travelled a lot in the last few years, the Titanium has also been nice as it doesn't set off the airport metal detectors... just one less hassle through security. I'm not sure from the thread if you want to spend more than something like this Tissot Classic - I'd say it's a mid-ranged priced watch rather than some high end approaching the $1k and above bracket.

Very true macdude.

Essentially, this watch will tell the time like many other watches that are considerably cheaper. In fact, as i am looking at an automatic, the irony is that a chemist watch with a quartz movement can be more accurate in terms of dropping seconds etc.

Devices for telling time = cheap

Fashion accessory equipped with time telling capabilities = expensive

The seamaster im looking at is a plainer faced watch that is a bit more elegant, and that is its appeal over a chunkier watch.

I very much hope that this one (whatever I chose) does not end up sitting in a drawer :)

I could try to take it out for a day, but im not sure how the stores would feel about that haha

Tag Heuer, Longines, Seiko. Three quality brands that spring to mind. It's no coincidence they are all F1 sponsors. :)

Watches are jewelry for men. The bigger the better and bimbos are attracted to men with flash watches like Amy Winehouse to a line of crack. Win!

I can't belive that no one has mentioned TokyoFlash. Even just for the lulz value.

i want to get this one

Nice.

This one just caught my eye. The product line changes pretty quick there.

yea, its nice, bu it looks like a watch. lets face it, if you are going to order a watch from japan, you might as well get one that makes everyone who sees it go "what the hall is that? the remote control for the deathstar?"

i want to get this one

Nice.

This one just caught my eye. The product line changes pretty quick there.

yea, its nice, bu it looks like a watch. lets face it, if you are going to order a watch from japan, you might as well get one that makes everyone who sees it go "what the hall is that? the remote control for the deathstar?"

Good point.

Used school girl panties for everyone!