What's the difference between an external flash unit and the pop up job I have on the top of mine? In the short time I've had a decent camera, I've learned to hate the flash. Everything just looks like arse.

How do external flash units improve that?

What's the difference between an external flash unit and the pop up job I have on the top of mine? In the short time I've had a decent camera, I've learned to hate the flash. Everything just looks like arse.

The light doesn't have to be blasted straight at the subject, it can be bounced off the ceiling, or a wall, or a bounce card, or a diffuser.

The only reason your on-camera flash makes things look flat and sterile, is because it destroys the subtle shadowing that you'd see with your naked eye under "normal" lighting.

Light has a properties - colour, hard/soft (non-diffused/diffused), and the direction it's coming from.

On camera flash is front lighting, and hard, you can try softening with some tissue paper, or bouncing it off the ceiling with a mirror to get it up (or white card even).

I use several flashes, on cheap light stands/tripods, so I can light a subject with light weight portable equipment exactly how I want like I can in a studio, and use closed down apertures and slow ISO :)

Demo time!

Flash Difference by squallstrife, on Flickr

Posted Image

Left is head on with the on-camera flash, right is bounced off the ceiling with a butchered Sunpak hotshoe flash.

Edit: Looking at it on another screen, it seems like the one on the right is a little underexposed, but it's still easy to see how much more "naturally" the subject is lit.

Edited by SquallStrife

Sold the LX3 a week or so ago, will have to post a pick of my new SLR setup tomorrow, using the little $120 Pentax I got mum for mothers day.

Fuck, I feel so inadequate in these forums.

I have ONE camera. THIS camera.

That's it.

/hangs head in shame

The best camera there is is the one you have with you at the time ;)

Good tools don't make a tradesman.

-X

heres my camera gear taken with my iphone

missing from the picture is my other 70-200 f4L

camera: eos30d with 17-40 L

lens 70-200 f2.8L

sekonic 358 light meter

canon m80 harddrive

580exII flash

Posted Image

Edited by andrewnarit

Posted Image

Camera - Pentax K200D (with Da 21mm f/3.2 LTD), Pentax Da 40mm f/2.8 LTD, Pentax 70mm f/2.4 LTD, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8

Looking to get a Pentax 360 Flash in the near future

Don't think I've seen you around here before Andrew, so welcome. Nice seeing the old 30D still popping up here and there, I had one of those untill earlier this year, and the 17-40 too. Are you studying photography somewhere - I ask because I noticed the Sekonic light metre, a device which seems to have gone the way of the dodo in the photographic world, for better or worse.

One of my workmates has the K200D.

Let me know how you go with it, he's been a little disappointed with the AF in low light. You might do better with your Pentax hotshoe flash, if it offers an AF assist beam.

Chinese bellows arrived today + 4 way focus rail, happy happy camper :D

1/100th sec, ISO 100, f/11, indoors, backlit essentially with a Sunpak 433D on 1/16th power, fired with some wireless flash radio triggers that also showed up today :) (mounted on a floor stand that showed up today too).

0 of a 10 cent coin, not a crop.

Posted Image

Edited by Athiril

Well 3 of my four cameras are at my mums place but they are...

http://www.leicapages.com/Artwork/M6titanium.jpg

http://www.halfhill.com/leica1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pentax_Auto_110.jpg (I have nearly all the lenses for it as well and it still works, lightmeter and everything)

and a Nikon D80 with the kit lens, my first digiSLR

Anyway when i get them from my mums house I will take some snapshots if anyone is interested

lol how many lenses have you got for the Leica? Just the 50 I'll bet, they're staggeringly expensive.

Squall: I took the focus screen out and put a KatzEye manual focus screen in, so the AF doesn't get much attention. Even then, any camera can have difficulty in low light with AF accuracy. So far I absolutely love it.

Edited by Mademan

lol how many lenses have you got for the Leica? Just the 50 I'll bet, they're staggeringly expensive.

I have a 35mm f2 a 50mm f2 and a Noctilux (50/f1.0)

The 35f2 was 1000 US when I bought it there, retailing here for 3500-4000 dollars

The Noctilux was the most expensive I wont even mention that one due to the excessive haemorrhage it caused my wallet

Oldish thread, but since I've already got most of my gear out to be repacked, it made sense to line it up and take a snap with the cheap P&S.

Posted Image

Bodies: Nikon D70 & D300 + Grip

Flashes: SB600 & SB900

Nikon Lenses: 70-200/2.8 VR, 17-55/2.8, 18-200 VR, 18-70, 70-300G, 50/1.4, TC14 and TC20

Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24/4, Kenko extension tubes

General: Assorted Filters, spare batteries, remotes 117 GB of CF cards

Edited by stadl

Oldish thread, but since I've already got most of my gear out to be repacked, it made sense to line it up and take a snap with the cheap P&S.

Posted Image

Bodies: Nikon D70 & D300 + Grip

Flashes: SB600 & SB900

Nikon Lenses: 70-200/2.8 VR, 17-55/2.8, 18-200 VR, 18-70, 70-300G, 50/1.4, TC14 and TC17

Other Lenses: Tokina 12-24/4, Kenko extension tubes

General: Assorted Filters, spare batteries, remotes 117 GB of CF cards

How do you find the Tokina, Stadl? Did it set you back much?

I also lust after your D300.

How do you find the Tokina, Stadl? Did it set you back much?

I like it.

At the time I bought it about 2.5 years ago, it was good value for about $740 AUD compared to the $1800 for the Nikon equivalent, it's almost as good from what I can tell (a friend has the nikon). The other choice at the time was the Sigma 10-20 and the Tamron, There's a lot of reviews etc of the 4 lens options from around that time that show all lenses compete fairly well in their respective features. For me, I chose the build quality, constant F4, the zoom/focus rings working in the correct/nikon direction and general feel of the results when I tested in the store.

It's only DX, and since then, the Tokina price has gone up to nearly $1100, while the Nikon has stayed the same as well as coming up second hand for good prices, so it could be a different decision now.

But optically it's fine for my needs, build quality is great, it's not AF-S, so that could be a problem for D40/60 owners.

Interesting. I've been mulling over some kind of cheap wide-angle, maybe even a fixed focal. Just something to play with - I wouldn't do much solid photography with it. That said, I don't think I could justify more than a few hundred, which wouldn't get me much.

Yeah, unfortunately with price rises around the start of the year, a few hundred won't get much in the way of the modern UWA zooms - at least not new.

I go through phases with using the UWA lens a lot, then go off it for a while, it's a really fun range to play with, and you can be quite creative with it, but it's not something I can justify always lugging around. It's also been marginalised a little by the 17-55/2.8 which I got about 3 months ago - not a substitute for an UWA, but it does reduce the times I'd carry an UWA.

My standard kit is: D300 + Grip + SB900 + 17-55 + 700-200 + TC14

The 12-24 and 50/1.4 will be taken when there's an expected need - there's room for them in the backpack, but I'd prefer not to lug the extra weight.

The 18-200 is for when I want to go for single lens convenience in a snoot bag - parties etc.

The D70 + SB600 + 18-70 + 70-300 will probably be a kit in the car boot for emergencies and loaning out to family & friends - it's still a very useful kit and over the last 4.5 years has given me some great shots.

Interesting. I've been mulling over some kind of cheap wide-angle, maybe even a fixed focal. Just something to play with - I wouldn't do much solid photography with it. That said, I don't think I could justify more than a few hundred, which wouldn't get me much.

Sigma 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm f/1.8 primes are in that range.

And the Olympus 21mm Zuiko's should be too (Though dont think you can adapt them to Nikon).

Sigma 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm f/1.8 primes are in that range.

And the Olympus 21mm Zuiko's should be too (Though dont think you can adapt them to Nikon).

I'm on DX, so they aren't particularly wide : ). My widest lens goes to 17mm, so I've had a look at the Nikon 10.5mm prime. There's a cheap 8mm coming out from some weird Polish company soon too, I believe.

Finally got to play with my new toy! :D

Posted Image

And look what I found lying around the house lol

Posted Image

Finally got to play with my new toy! :D

That's a nice new toy - have lots of fun!

Do you mind my asking, since you already had the SB800 was there a reason for getting the 900.

Is it to have a second flash, or for the extra features (which I wouldn't have thought were enough to justify the upgrade price).

I have the 600 & 900, and they make a good combo with options for different sizes, but I have to admit that the 600 is really more than enough flash for my skills, I bought my 900 basically because the price was good and I was cashed up at the time, so I don't have a good justification for having it.

I've played a little with using both flashes and the on-camera flash to light scenes from 3 positions, and it's fun, but products & people in such controlled lighting isn't something I shoot, so again not really a legit reason for having it. But I'm interested in why other people have been upgrading.