You answered the question in the first line :)

I got the SB-900 to use as a second light source. I've had a few goes with just the 800 and a reflector, but realised that this option had some limitations. Though, I could probably manage with the things I had already if I tried hard enough with my imagination lol.

I guess with an extra flash it opens up new things to explore so I won't really know whether or not it was a wise decision until I give it a bit more time.

It was also $650 off Ebay compared to the $900 I would've had to pay in a shop. And besides, it's Rudd money :P

Edit: Oh and it's definitely big. I've handled the SB-900 before but didn't realise how big it was until I had it side-by-side with the 800. Bulky but not as heavy as expected for some reason.

Edited by Oomph

I am just going to borrow some images I have on my website. I know that they are small but once you have seen a Canon EOS 30d, you have seen them all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

My kit consists of

Canon EOS 30D Enthusiast Kit (Main Camera)

Canon Film SLR EOS 3000N

Canon EOS 1D

Canon EOS 10D with professional grip

IXUS 330

Intelligent Canon Speedlite 580EX Flash with IR and master slave feature

Gary Fong light sphere diffuser.

Various Hoya Lens Filters (Skylights, polarizer's, lens flares etc)

Heavy Duty Tripod

reflector (light reflector)

remote trigger

hurricane lens blower

IXUS underwater case

EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II USM with lens hood

EF 90 - 300 mm with lens hood

EF 28 - 90 mm with lens hood

EF 70-210 mm 1:4 (From Japan)

EF 24mm 1:2.8 Wide and ultra wide (From Japan)

Tamron 500 mm Tele Zoom with Lens hood

Super Wide/Fish Eye

2x Teleconverter

Angle Eyepiece

OM to EOS converters

Flash Rotating Bracket

TTL Off Camera Shoe Cord for Canon OC-E3

Photographic Background Stand with Backdrop

Portable Photo Background Light Tent

Saxon Quick Release 3 Way Camera Tripod

28 piece lens filter kit

Studio light Barn doors with coloured Gels

58mm Flower Lens Hood Cover (and other hoods)

Car windows camera mount

SCA 1.25" T-Adaptor for a telescope

Extension Tube Macro Ring

Pro Photography 600W Strobe Flash Light Set

light stands

600W studio lights

white/silver reflective umbrella

rectangular softbox's

radio slave set

You can see my Olympus equipment on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=olympus&w=29180950%40N06

Olympus OM2 and OM10

Posted Image

Baumar Panowider Super Wide Ser VII 49mm,

Olympus F.Zuiko OM Auto S 1:1.8 F=50 mm (x2),

Kenlock Auto 1:2.8 F=135 mm,

Tamron BBAR MultiC 1:28 F=28 mm,

Vivitor (Tokina T4) 75-260 mm 1:45 Auto Zoom,

Starblitz 3000BT-Twin flash with light filters and diffusers,

Original leather camera cases x 3 and the original leather carry case.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3603130997_e27a041dd6_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/360313...27a041dd6_b.jpg

Edited by michael.jenkin

For the time being, this is it (selling my FZ-30):

Canon 50D with a Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical and the BG-E2N Battery Grip. Sits on top of a Manfrotto 141RC / 190D Tripod/Head and the new Manfrotto 776YB Monopod. The cameras pack into a Lowepro Slinghot 200AW bag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And one of these puppies (Panasonic DMC-TZ3) - they take a hell of a beating! Image grabbed from Cameralabs.

Posted Image

well it is a 1D. As in the first one. 4mp won't really stress out lenses to their absolute maximum. It also makes sort of sense to have an EOS 1 - the EOS 1D MKII is still quite expensive second hand, so if you wanted to explore full frame on a budget it's not such a bad camera. I'm more curious as to why you would have an EOS 10D and a 30D at the same time? You can buy grips for a 30D. In fact several stores had fire sales on them for about $100 when the 40D came out.

well it is a 1D. As in the first one. 4mp won't really stress out lenses to their absolute maximum. It also makes sort of sense to have an EOS 1 - the EOS 1D MKII is still quite expensive second hand, so if you wanted to explore full frame on a budget it's not such a bad camera. I'm more curious as to why you would have an EOS 10D and a 30D at the same time? You can buy grips for a 30D. In fact several stores had fire sales on them for about $100 when the 40D came out.

Oh, right, I didn't realise it was a MkI. That makes sense.

So you'd be a professional then? ;)

Nah, just needed to escape from IT, tried cameras. loved it, got addicted and now this obsession is driving me insane. Maybe I was there to start with :)

Hey Michael, I gotta ask - why fork out for a 1D, but only put consumer level glass on it?

I could not include the "l' series lenses that I had, but were stolen. Never replaced them due to cost and my insurace would not cover the full values.

Hey Michael, I gotta ask - why fork out for a 1D, but only put consumer level glass on it?

I could not include the "l' series lenses that I had, but were stolen. Never replaced them due to cost and my insurace would not cover the full values.

Ouch. My commiserations, dude. I've got my stuff insured to a value of about $8k under my home and contents.

sorry, I read that as 'canon i series', what did you have? I assume the bastards were never caught?

sorry, I read that as 'canon i series', what did you have? I assume the bastards were never caught?

No probs. I should have said "L" series. They pinched just lenses which is weird. Maybe they know the bodies are serialised and logged. the lenses are also serialised but there are so many, I bet noone bothers recording them.

I guess the lenses went up on eBay and have now been turned over. The people were never caught and I doubt they will.

I have been on the other end of this as well. Bought a EOS 1D from eBay with a CF card still in it. On the CF card were a companies confidential records (Tax returns and other details). contacted the person listed as a Director (Lucky their name came up in Google) and it turns out it was a Hot camera. Just goes to show it can happen to anyone.

Silly idiots took a few test photos with the camera so their photos ended up going to the police :)

New addition to the family: Sigma EF-530 DG SUPER! (emphasis added). Purchased from B&H for about $420, including shipping and currency conversion. Locally it's about $530, which is perculiar, given the great pains both Sigma and Pentax take to leval their international pricing these days.

Also purchased a Stofen diffuser. Now to wait for the call from Vanbar about my extrordinarilly stupid Pentax "three part saga" TTL cable and adapters.

20% difference isn't that great given there has been at least a 15% variation in exchange rate over the last few months. When you also take into account the lower margins that the high volume resellers like B&H can work on, it's not so surprising.

Earlier this year, when the exchange rate was bad, the Grey Market importers in Australia were struggling to beat official imports, Now with the improved rate they're back to being cheaper but the saving is typically under 10% - nothing like the 25% that it was at this time last year, and they were still beaten by direct import from the US in most cases.

Well I'm happy with the $250 (almost 28%) saving I made by importing my SB-900 off Ebay :)

Gotta love Hong Kong lol

Well I'm happy with the $250 (almost 28%) saving I made by importing my SB-900 off Ebay :)

Gotta love Hong Kong lol

I think you'l find $250 off is against RRP not street price - They're going for about $795 locally - glad I got mine back in Jan when they were only $615 locally.

Well Paxtons and Camerahouse had it for $900. Not sure what Ted's had it for. But yeah...should've bought it a lot earlier before the price hike.

20% difference isn't that great given there has been at least a 15% variation in exchange rate over the last few months. When you also take into account the lower margins that the high volume resellers like B&H can work on, it's not so surprising.

Earlier this year, when the exchange rate was bad, the Grey Market importers in Australia were struggling to beat official imports, Now with the improved rate they're back to being cheaper but the saving is typically under 10% - nothing like the 25% that it was at this time last year, and they were still beaten by direct import from the US in most cases.

Dont forget even when the dollar is bad for us there is still stuff half as cheap from the U.S. that profiteering Aussie retailers sell with a huge markup.

Which is sort of what I was getting at. The local price of that flash is near equal the respective RRP listed on the Sigma website, which gives all prices in American. The BH Price for the Sigma flashes is about half of that RRP. But for their other products there's very little saving (Sigma declared war on grey importers as I recall). Keeping in mind though, that price was including the $61 US in shipping, added to the price of the flash and the diffuser, then converted to kangaroo currency, with a surcharge. And it's still cheaper. I wouldn't just point the finger at retailers though - if a retailer wants to sell a Pentax or Sigma product, there's only one importer, who is also the warrenty agent.

I point the finger at retailers when there is a massive price discrepancy on many things just between Australian shops selling non-grey gear.

When I got my 12-24mm it was about $700 AUD including shipping from Melbourne... then the prices it jumped to.. sheesh.

Got a bargain at a flea market on Sunday. EOS 500N film body with 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 USM lens. $15. All in perfect working order.

Posted Image

Edited by SquallStrife

My early Christmas/Birthday present:

Posted Image

It arrives Thursday.

:D

Edit: Fixed image URL.

Edited by SquallStrife