Sign in to follow this  
radar

Which Blu-Ray Combo

Dear experts,

I have just purchased all the parts for my first time computer build except for the optical drive. Unfortunately everywhere in Melbourne seems to be sold out of the LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray combo which I was recommended to me (I've seen its price range from $165-$235 :-o).

Now I have to either keep searching for it or purchase a different one but don't know which one? I'm looking for an optical drive that plays Blu-Ray and burns CDs and DVDs. Hopefully under $200 if possible but can bend on this.

Please help with any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Dear experts,

I have just purchased all the parts for my first time computer build except for the optical drive. Unfortunately everywhere in Melbourne seems to be sold out of the LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray combo which I was recommended to me (I've seen its price range from $165-$235 :-o).

Now I have to either keep searching for it or purchase a different one but don't know which one? I'm looking for an optical drive that plays Blu-Ray and burns CDs and DVDs. Hopefully under $200 if possible but can bend on this.

Please help with any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Pioneer all the way ! you wont get any better.

Pioneer BDC-S02BK Blu-Ray Combo Drive SATA, Black Retail Internet Price: $165.00 Umart Out of stock ATM but will have some shortly for sure :)

Don't have anything agaisnt the pioneer but i won the LG it is a good drive and Ive only had one region problem (Rambo) aside from that 8 months or so and not a hitch.

I'd be sticking with the LG GGC-H20L - it's a good drive and supports HD-DVD. While the HD-DVD format may be dead, there are quite a few movies out there to be had for $5 or less as rental stores and others dump them.

Why not look at some of the online stores in NSW? Postage isn't that much :)

You know I unfortumnately had problems with my Pionner bd drive. Not neccessarily to do with bd playback but with reading other disks. It felt 'unstable'. When i went to reformat the box a while agao the drive wouldnt read the windows disk properly, stopping and saying that so and so file couldnt be found etc. Very odd. I have an LG bd now and havent had any problems. In my experience Pionner pc drives arent always cracked up to be as good as people often make out, though their stand alone dvd players and bd players have been absolutely outstanding in my experience.

I agree with bowiee. Pioneer make awesome optical drives... One of the best.

I am one of the few people who got their hands on the pioneer drive before release, directly from pioneer.

After i pulled the whole thing apart(both the burner and the combo drive, $1500 worth at the time!) i can say that i have NEVER seen a drive so over-engineered in my life.

Oh, i can also say i have NEVER in my life seen a disc burnt so well as what came out of the BDC-S02. Ever. I've so far tested for quality more than 10 DVD and BD drives, and nothing has even come close to the BD combo from pioneer.

Can you tell i like it?

I have the LG BD player and to be honest I am a little disappointed. It doesn't read my COD4 DVD very well and froze several times when trying to install the game. Works fine in my Pioneer DVD rom or my Asus DVD rom as well.

It was cheap though so can't complain that much and it does play BD movies although I dont think the quality of the picture is that great.