Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Reb1rth.

PS3 Hard drive upgrade.

Hey, well... my hard-drive is full, as I have like ~25 games, I've managed to free up 6gb of space by deleting old game installs from stuff I don't play anymore, but 2009 has many potentially great games in store... so I'll be needing the space.

I was looking at this drive;

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/produc...oducts_id=34834

Any thoughts, or tips from someone that's done this before? How do I go about backing up my saves, etc?

In-depth information is a good thing.

As Juggalo_Scrub said, it's all in the manual.

250GB drives are fine. I have a WD 250GB drive in my machine.

Some 320GB and 500GB drives won't physically fit in the PS3 though (they are 95mm thick, while some larger drives are 125mm thick. Or something like that. I can't remember the exact figures).

Backing it up is easy. USB external drive plugged in. System -> something that I can't remember -> Backup drive.

It took 2 hours to back up a 40GB drive.

Once it's backed up, swap the drives. It's all in the manual. Otherwise it is on the PS3 website. Once it's swapped, turn it back on. System -> same thing that I can't remember -> Restore backup.

Another 2 hours to restore. But now my PS3 has a 250GB drive in it.

Seriously, check the manual. It's easy to do. Otherwise there's plenty of tutorials on the internet that will show you rather than someone type it up here.

RTFM

+1

Its easy as cake. Googleisyourfriend.

I went with pretty much the exact same drive as morris.

Get a 5400RPM; I read in a few places you'll notice fuckall difference from a 7200, and they're reasonable (AFAIK) more expensive in the 2.5" form factor.

-A-

Well I don't know where my manual is... I checked my PS3 box and it's not in there. :S

And I was more looking for personal experiences from people around here, see if anyone came across any issues and all that.

I wasn't asking HOW to change the drive...

Well the manuals are available on the playstation website.

It's very simple to do, but make sure you have plenty of time to back up and restore your data.

As I said it took 2 hours to back up 40GB and the same time to restore it.

Otherwise it was very simple to do.

Only issue as I pointed out above is that some of the larger capacity drives are physically larger, so they won't fit into the HDD caddy.

Well I don't know where my manual is... I checked my PS3 box and it's not in there. :S

And I was more looking for personal experiences from people around here, see if anyone came across any issues and all that.

I wasn't asking HOW to change the drive...

That was my personal experience, above. ;P

Otherwise, what morris said. Its straightforward, I encountered no pitfalls.

-A-

Hmm... well there's $4 difference between a 5400rpm 8mb cache drive, and a 7200rpm 16mb cache drive.

Will there be much performance difference with a PS3, and will heat from a 7200rpm drive be an issue at all?

I'd heard that 5400RPM drives were preferable, but I can't remember who told me or why it was the case.

Probably just reduced noise and vibration. I can't imagine what the PS3 would be doing that would benefit from a faster drive.

I'd heard that 5400RPM drives were preferable, but I can't remember who told me or why it was the case.

Probably just reduced noise and vibration. I can't imagine what the PS3 would be doing that would benefit from a faster drive.

Mmm indeed, and i wouldn't be a fan of that extra heat...

Very easy to do, and didn't have any issues at all. Upgraded to a WD 250GB drive. I was well surprised at how easy Sony made it to do, especially given they sell ones with different size hard drives for higher prices.

Seems no one else has installed a 7200rpm drive.

Looking around online, seems that there's minimal speed benefits. At most 2 seconds.

Also minimal tempurature difference.

i.e. It's not really going to matter.

Looking around online, seems that there's minimal speed benefits. At most 2 seconds.

Quickly reading this link that computerblue posted shows that the only place you'll notice* a speed decrease is whilst installing stuff.

*notice is entirely subjective. If a game is going to take ~2 mins to install, and 7200rpm only makes 10secs difference, then who gives a rats? Just grab the biggest and cheapest drive you can find. I've got one of the Western Digital 2.5 " 5400rpm 250gb in mine.

To clarify my point in a sentence: I agree with Morris.

Edited by elfinke

Yeah.

Well there's only a few dollars price difference so I may as well just grab a 7200 for the fuck of it.

You won't notice the performance difference, really.

It seems like the PS3 does a pretty shitty job of accessing the HDD. There's no way backups and restores should take as long as they do.

Yeah but it's $4.

And yeah, I was wondering why it'd take two hours to transfer 40gb... though I guess it is via USB...

I installed a 7200rpm drive and I pulled the the jumper off to enable SATA 3/GBs haven't had any problems re heat noise etc It was what was available without ordering one in at the local isp/tech place, I put in the 160GB one.

I didn't think my backups took too long and I was backing up to a 7200 rpm large ide drive in a caddy that connects by way of USB .

http://www.seagatepromotion.com/au/model/810/st9160823

I will have to do a fresh one and time it, been a fair while since I have done one {:)

Edited by Waltish

I believe there are some 500GB drives that can be install, but you have to check the physical size of the drive.

There's no reason the PS3 wouldn't recognise 500GB. But the drive has to fit in the caddy. And some 500GB drives are too thick. I don't know which ones.

I'd go 320GB or 250GB to be on the safe side. I read on one site that there are a couple of 320GB drives that are too thick to fit too, but I can't find it anymore.

Yeah I was gonna just go for a 250.

I really cannot picture myself ever needing more than 150 MAX, but we'll see. :P