DonutKing

3drealms shut down?

This is terrible news :(

As you can probably tell by my avatar I'm a big fan of this company... (well some of their older work anyway) but I guess you can't spend 13 years making a game without releasing it, the money's got to run out eventually.

I haven't seen any confirmation of this yet, but nothing to deny it either. Could still be a hoax but if it is they're staying tight lipped about it.

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35533

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=58519

EDIT: The shacknews article has been updated, looks to be official :(

Edited by DonutKing

Wow....if true, and by all accounts it isn't sounding good this is a huge let down....

George was a douche but I desperately still had hope that DNF would be awesome...:(

Yeah its pretty sad, in later years the company really foundered under GB's management, but still they were one of the great pioneers of PC gaming.

I guess it'll be "Duke Nukem Never" now :P

One of the rumours going around:

"3d Realms went to Take 2 asking for about 5 million more to finish Duke Nukem, which Take 2 declined, instead offering to sell the franchise back to 3d Realms for around 30 million. 3d Realms shut it's doors instead."

Supposedly some of the staff have said stuff on Facebook that hints this is true but I haven't seen it myself.

5 million more to finish?

WTF have they been doing if this is true?

The number of times George has said 'it's basically done' is downright insulting now.....

My shock has turned into a more familier emotion....anger....

I guess you can't spend 13 years making a game without releasing it.

Exactly right.

I don't see how the community, let alone the company itself, didn't see this coming.

Edit:

5 MILLION MORE??? What, 13 years and God knows how many $$ wasn't enough?

That's a joke.

On a lighter note, if they do shut down, I think they could win back the communities respect by making the game (the finished part anyway) freeware or open source.

Edited by d3c4y

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Hmmm.

It's a shame if true, since they were definitely going to release it this year.

It's a shame if true, since they were definitely going to release it this year.

lol

I see what you did there

I really wonder how much money has been sunk into DNF over the years, I bet its a massive number, especially if they still needed another 5 million.

I've been getting the "server is too busy" message at the 3Drealms website too, I think they are just getting heaps of hits at the moment. If you keep trying you eventually get through.

EDIT: the shacknews article has been updated, looks to be official :(

Edited by DonutKing

LoL, an hour too late... glad I did a search first.

Pretty sad... but hopefully its not complete vapourware. As d3c4y said, it'd be pretty awesome for it to be released open source if they aren't gonna do anything with it. Except, I don't find it particularly likely that would happen after the amount of money that's been spent. >_<

-A-

Apogee haven't shut down, just 3d Realms.

Is it any wonder that this has happened. After probably hundreds of millions of dollars being sunk into a vaporware product, looks like Take2 finally told them to gtfo.

The only companies that seem to be able to get away with "When It's Done" are Blizzard, Bungie and Valve. TF2 was ages in the making but at least Valve were smart enough to do other things as well than just sink all their chips in one big money sink.

i just hope this is a blessing is disguise and a company like EA or Ubisoft pick up the pieces and give it to a dev team that can resurrect this awesome IP. God imagine what a team like Valve, Monolith, Raven, Gearbox or iD could do with the DN IP....fingers crossed someone with $$$ still believes the Duke Nukem name is still viable.

Wilkshake: Did Blizzard, Bungie, or Valve take 13 years to make a game? Ever?

Me? I can't fucking believe people were still drawing wages to make this. I mean, I loved DN back in the day. I remember the DN:F ads in 97, 98ish. At the time I was excited. I kind of thought they wouldn't still be working on it. SURELY.

I mean, fuck. Most dev houses could have fucking made an entire series, killed it off, and started a new IP in the mean time. On five different engines. Even if they released it episodically, and used different engines for each bit, at least they'd have something to show for it.

I hope the source gets released. Let's see what they actually did. There's probably enough community to finish it, and embarrass the dev team by doing it in under a year.

Wilkshake: Did Blizzard, Bungie, or Valve take 13 years to make a game? Ever?

Me? I can't fucking believe people were still drawing wages to make this. I mean, I loved DN back in the day. I remember the DN:F ads in 97, 98ish. At the time I was excited. I kind of thought they wouldn't still be working on it. SURELY.

I mean, fuck. Most dev houses could have fucking made an entire series, killed it off, and started a new IP in the mean time. On five different engines. Even if they released it episodically, and used different engines for each bit, at least they'd have something to show for it.

I hope the source gets released. Let's see what they actually did. There's probably enough community to finish it, and embarrass the dev team by doing it in under a year.

TF2 was announced in 1998 and released in 2007.

Sure 9 != 13 but both are longer than your average development cycle.

I very much doubt the source code will be released. What too many dollars have been sunk into it to just let it go for free.

Yeah I can't really see the source code being released. If there IS much source code.

This sort of gives some credence to the rumours that 3DR were never going to release the game and it was all a scheme to ride high on the hogs back off investors/publishers money for as long as possible... :P

They were being much more active in recent months in trying to hype the game up though.

EDIT: Confirmation from Joe Siegler http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.p...5533&page=4

Edited by DonutKing

Is anyone at all surprised. Really?

Fuck it!

I'll just make Duke Nukem Forever.

brb

When will it be ready?

Fuck it!

I'll just make Duke Nukem Forever.

brb

When will it be ready?

When it's ready! Jeez.

What was the idea behind DNF anyway?

Was it just going to be a modern, 3d-accelerated version of Duke Nukem 3D?

Seriously, some company with a track record of producing modern games should buy the franchise, and get it out there.

They did actually have a working game to some extent...does anyone seeing the clip of the guy playing it on his show?

TF2 was announced in 1998 and released in 2007.

Sure 9 != 13 but both are longer than your average development cycle.

I very much doubt the source code will be released. What too many dollars have been sunk into it to just let it go for free.

I agree. It took ages.

But at the same time, TF2 went through SEVERE redesign. Not just 'update engine', but 'change entire setting/aim of game'.

DN:F seemed to be always promising the same thing, with whatever generation of tech was available at the time. But never actually hitting ANY goals.

I'd much rather have had a quake-tech level release, which looked a bit outmoded, but was at least a game to play.

According to Wikipedia, Valve made 3 or 4 complete versions of TF2 before settling on the current one.

So the development process was probably active the whole time, even though the main producers were also heavily involved in other Valve projects, such as Ep1.