Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
DonutKing

3drealms shut down?

Well they had to be working on something.....

It's all very well to say it's real, but if we can't actualy play it.....

for anyone that wants to replay duke you may want to take a look at this

Duke Nukem 3D: High Resolution Pack v4

http://www.gamearena.com.au/downloads/deta...lution-pack-v4#

For all Duke fans who want to play the game again in a modern Windows environment with 3D accelerated graphics, the Duke3D community has created the High Resolution Pack (HRP). Utilizing the amazing skills of various texturing and modelling artists, the project´s goal is to replace all textures and sprites with high-res versions, optimizing it for latest OpenGL ports.

All you need is the "duke3d.grp" file from your original Duke3D v1.3d or Atomic (v1.5) CD-ROM. You can also play with the Duke3D Shareware Episode.

Here's what the Duke3D HRP has to offer:

EDuke32 port for Duke Nukem 3D (by TerminX and Plagman), based on JFDuke3D by Jonathon Fowler. For more info about these ports, check out JonoF's JFDuke3D and the EDuke32 site.

32-bit high resolution textures with 4 times the detail of the original textures.

Models instead of the old sprites.

OGG soundtrack (by MusicallyInspired) and DukePlus mod (by DeeperThought)

While the HRP is still "work in progress" and missing quite a few textures and models, you can check the Duke Nukem 3D source code forums for additional content or - even better - contributing something of your own.

The community's goal is to issue a new HRP version at least once a year or anytime JonoF comes up with a new milestone of the JFDuke3D port. For the impatient ones, NightFright is offering an update pack every one or two months, integrating latest forum contributions and fixes into the HRP.

Edited by Dasa

I just installed Manhattan Project, this is actually a cool game, I'm disappointed that I didn't play it when it came out. Fans of Duke will like it especially if you played the original platformers.

Definately give it a go if you haven't tried it.

Some of his corny one liners are pretty funny- after dying and respawning he goes "Hmm, so there really is life after death"- got a laugh out of me :)

From: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47009/Sa...e-Nukem-Dot-Com

Destructoid thinks that the whole 3D Realms closure thing is a scam because someone registered savedukenukem.com the day before the company went kaput.

Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory, so here's some further credence to the idea that Duke Nukem Forever's death is merely a marketing ploy by 3D Realms. Apparently, the URL "savedukenukem.com" was registered on 05/07/09, the day before 3D Realms announced its closure.

Many people now believe we are being played, which is something I myself had considered briefly, since I'm convinced that everyone involved with Duke Nukem Forever has been laughing at us for the past ten years. Some suggest that the huge amounts of assets that have come flowing onto the Internet since 3D Realms' closure also hints that this is little more than a gimmick for PR purposes.

Posted Image

Plus, looks like this comp is still running: http://www.dukeisback.com/

Yes - I realise that comp is being run by Deep Silver, but iirc they are a fairly big EU publisher

Edited by Khirareq

meh, fuck DKN, fuck 3DR.

The gaming world doesn't need retards like them.

They won't be missed.

From: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47009/Sa...e-Nukem-Dot-Com

Destructoid thinks that the whole 3D Realms closure thing is a scam because someone registered savedukenukem.com the day before the company went kaput.

Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory, so here's some further credence to the idea that Duke Nukem Forever's death is merely a marketing ploy by 3D Realms. Apparently, the URL "savedukenukem.com" was registered on 05/07/09, the day before 3D Realms announced its closure.

Many people now believe we are being played, which is something I myself had considered briefly, since I'm convinced that everyone involved with Duke Nukem Forever has been laughing at us for the past ten years. Some suggest that the huge amounts of assets that have come flowing onto the Internet since 3D Realms' closure also hints that this is little more than a gimmick for PR purposes.

Well, the theory does match up nicely with that WTF marketting plan...

Posted Image

Plus, looks like this comp is still running: http://www.dukeisback.com/

Yes - I realise that comp is being run by Deep Silver, but iirc they are a fairly big EU publisher

LOL!!

Love it...

-A-

How much do games make anyway?

$12 million is a lot of sales.

]

Huge, successful games?

Well, GTA IV made over $500m if I recall correctly. Also cost some ridiculous figure to make ($100m?).

How much do games make anyway?

$12 million is a lot of sales.

]

Huge, successful games?

Well, GTA IV made over $500m if I recall correctly. Also cost some ridiculous figure to make ($100m?).

Apparantly that was in its first week, its sold over 13 million units now.

A major commercial and critical success, Grand Theft Auto IV broke industry records with sales of around 3.6 million units on its first day of release and grossing more than $500 million in revenue in the first week, from an estimated 6 million units sold worldwide.[23][24] As of 11 March 2009, the game has sold over 13 million copies.

Edited by nukejockey

Here's (supposedly) 3DR's statement on the lawsuit:

http://www.gameslice.com/2009/05/18/3d-rea...n-duke-forever/

Basically they claim that Take Two never gave them any money and are simply trying to acquire the rights to Duke by bleeding 3DR dry.

They also said that it was only the inhouse developers that were let go, (plus Joe Siegler, but it sounds like all he did was surf the web and refill the coke machine anyway), the company itself will still exist and licence Duke to other developers.

It may have already been mentioned, but there's a heap of old games on the 3D Realms website for download. Get them while you can I guess.