Mac Dude

Should it be put to the sword?

You WANT me to start a thread about me fondling my hairy ears!?

That is just sick Mac D. :{p

No thankyou.....please no :D

it seems to me a lot of the spam has vanished from proper threads since that one was made.

leave it there, sticky it, but also make a "how to use the what are you thinking about thread" thread, and sticky that above it. encourage people to place fleeting but interesting thoughts there, along with breif discussions about dreams etc. stuff like that.

but tell them that bigger topics, like advice, interesting happenings at work, stuff like that should have their own thread.

Honestly, I bet stickying it will kill it.

A combination of the sticky threads being hard to keep an eye on (because of their seperation from the main list of threads), and it kinda makes it feel too formal. It's a rather laid back thread as it is, and that's what makes it a pleasant one to participate in (or even just peruse).

Rob.

Enough with the"interesting ideas" on what to do with the thread.

IT'S NOT BROKEN. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE FIXING.

Do you think that was a tad loud?

GOOD:P~~~~~

:)

I say keep it.

I've noticed that silly spam threads which end up nowhere have reduced dramatically since its implementation. I also know that I myself would not start a thread to voice my thoughts, because such endeavours will certainly result in stupid replies, a petty argument, or the mundane 'spam' comments.

No thanks.

thread needs moar poll.

Epic spam thread should remain.

Some of the discussions in this thread have been worthy of their own thread - this is indisputable

Obviously not. If people thought it was thread worthy, then they would have created a thread.

That is total and complete crap. People often make posts/threads in the wrong spot, so to say that it must be right because people have posted there, well it doesn't make sense.

If there is a discussion on a topic, then it should have its own thread. Otherwise you may as well have just one forum with all discussions in that forum.

Edited by Mac Dude

I find the thread a quirk.

I don't know if it should be killed altogether, but I doubt that moderators want to take the time to fork out any actual discussion to a separate thread.

At the same time, the (IMO) logical conclusion to the thread is to merge every green room thread into it. Which would suit me fine, as then I could skip the Green Room entirely.

If there is a discussion on a topic, then it should have its own thread. Otherwise you may as well have just one forum with all discussions in that forum. The logic is the same, and flawed.

Well it seems to me that it's a bit more complicated than that.

The thread is entitled "What's on your mind". So whatever is "on people's minds" is effectively on-topic.

In any case...

Wasn't that thread started by a 'God' aka 'staffmember'. Isn't that one step beyond 'condone', a hop over 'endorse' and right onto 'model'?

Edited by just_some_guy

Advice?

Think of the advice you've missed because it's lost in that thread that many don't bother to contribute to. Posting a question there is a lucky dip, will anyone read it before the page ticks over?

I agree there may be a need for "tweet" type posts, which this thread is, but that doesn't really belong in the forum format.

If he had wanted that advice then he would have put it in a thread of his own.

Then relying on a random thread for advice is null and void, continue.

"Don't you want more/better advice?" is not an argument against the WOYM thread when every user is capable of creating their own thread instead.

I think that the WOYM is the single biggest improver of The Green Room since... I can't even think of a time.

A lot of the stuff in there used to get it's own threads, but quite frankly didn't deserve it's own threads.

I want to share with people my boo-boo about scheduling myself for too much work this week, I want to share my foolishness, but at the end of the day this does not deserve a thread of it's own.

Take away the WOYM thread and watch The Green Room be unindated with meaningless and inconsequential threads again.

The WOYM thread is doing no harm.

Rob.

You state that it's doing no harm. I have stated that it is - because there is no doubt some of the topics would have had their own threads, but now they are lost in the spam that is that thread.

Well it seems to me that it's a bit more complicated than that.

The thread is entitled "What's on your mind". So whatever is "on people's minds" is effectively on-topic.

In any case...

Wasn't that thread started by a 'God' aka 'staffmember'. Isn't that one step beyond 'condone', a hop over 'endorse' and right onto 'model'?

yup, it's more complicated, no doubt :)

And as for who created it, who cares?

That's the beauty of not being a mod. If I had brought this discussion up when I was a mod, I'd be accused of being Hitler, now I just get accused of being a has-been.

Win/Win :)

Edited by Mac Dude

You state that it's doing no harm. I have stated that it is - because there is no doubt some of the topics would have had their own threads, but now they are lost in the spam that is that thread.

It get's lost in the stream of consciousness (as Catmosphere put it). Just where the author wanted it to go.

I've quoted Catmosphere's post, because she summed up on aspect of the thread really well...

i love this thread. so much has happened in people's lives and been told about in this thread. i doubt that i would have found out any other way 'cos people don't want to necessarily take up a whole thread and stick it in the green room to be lampooned. here it can drift in and get commented on or not. people can show care or ignore. i would be sad if this thread got blocked for spam reasons - i don't think it's spam. i think it is a genuine stream of consciousness thread from a community perspective - and like any stream of consciousness just in an individual will contain elements of the inane, absurd, rude, weird, sad, happy, practical and pragmatic parts of life.

let it live i say. let live.

Rob.

Why don't we put it to the mods? If it's as harmful as has been said, surely it'll be locked.

Hell, I'll even fire the RTM myself.

How about a sub-forum for the snippets of what people think?

Rather than have the thread, just have a subforum. One that doesn't contribute to post-count.

Back in the day there was the "Night Eyes" thread. Basically the exact same thing. But it was locked because it was an easy way to spam up the postcount/ranks. They were stopped.

These days less people care about postcount, so it's not as big an issue. Maybe that's partially why WOYM has been left alone to get so large.

Maybe I should think more before I post...

Why don't we put it to the mods? If it's as harmful as has been said, surely it'll be locked.

Don't you see? This is a difficult decision for the mods, it's the exception that proves the rule. I started this topic, discussion, thread so that the average users, you and me, could discuss the topic BEFORE anyone acted. I could not do this as a mod because of the baggage that label carries. This way, we can discuss it before anyone is forced to act.

There's no hurry :)

Edited by Mac Dude

What mod is going to lock a thread started by a staffmember?

Honestly, the mods opinion on the thread matter little to my opinion on the thread.

The mods could think it was the spammiest spam that every spammed like a dirty spammer and I'd still argue it should stay.

As would, I imagine, the 50 posters that have contributed more than 50 posts to the thread. (pure coincidence that the numbers line up like that)

I'm figuratively signing off now. But you can bet your backside I'll be back tomorrow morning :P

Rob.

Honestly, the mods opinion on the thread matter little to my opinion on the thread.

The mods could think it was the spammiest spam that every spammed like a dirty spammer and I'd still argue it should stay.

As would, I imagine, the 50 posters that have contributed more than 50 posts to the thread. (pure coincidence that the numbers line up like that)

I'm figuratively signing off now. But you can bet your backside I'll be back tomorrow morning :P

Rob.

So would I.

Maybe I should pants more before I post...

lol

It is no pants friday afterall ;)

Maybe I should pants more before I post...

lol

It is no pants friday afterall ;)

even though it's been saturday for nearly an hour? :P

/pants off

That is total and complete crap. People often make posts/threads in the wrong spot, so to say that it must be right because people have posted there, well it doesn't make sense.

If there is a discussion on a topic, then it should have its own thread. Otherwise you may as well have just one forum with all discussions in that forum.

You're comparing people posting threads in the wrong spot, to people posting in an existing thread instead of making a new thread. That's a false analogy.

As JSG pointed out, everything is on-topic in an anything goes thread.

One forum with all discussions in a forum would be quite a different mess from having a designated thread for a bit of sanctioned randomness....