Mac Dude

Should it be put to the sword?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you're trying to create a mountain out of a molehill, MacDude.

Even though you're not a Mod anymore, you're now trying to compensate for all those years of being tied in to a 'mod role', and now starting threads which are totally shit.

If anyone else did this they would be automatically reprimanded or suspended.

/RTM

(I'm serious).

Why don't we put it to the mods? If it's as harmful as has been said, surely it'll be locked.

What mod is going to lock a thread started by a staffmember?
I can think of a couple :>

/RTM

(I'm serious).

I don't know why anyone would get reprimanded or suspended for what he's put in the OP.

It should stay cause it cuts out most of those whinge threads.

the "what's on your mind" and "what are you listening to" are general discussion staples....

So is the "let's count to one million!" so be glad we don't have one of those!!!

As Mac himself said, he's no longer a Mod...so he can't himself axe it.

I don't have a problem with Mac's thread, just like anyone here he's

perfectly entitled to his opinion.

I actually think it shows quite well how every one feels (or at least those

posting) .

I'm still majorly of the opinion that WOYM thread should be left alone.

It's inconsequentially brilliant.

Atomic needs pageviews and clicks to survive.

Anyone who proposes anything that results in fewer pageviews and clicks must be declared an Enemy of Atomic (EOA).

EOAs are the ones who should be put to the sword. Or better still, light sabre.

so, is spam is good!

:P

As Mac himself said, he's no longer a Mod...so he can't himself axe it.

I don't have a problem with Mac's thread, just like anyone here he's

perfectly entitled to his opinion.

I actually think it shows quite well how every one feels (or at least those

posting) .

I'm still majorly of the opinion that WOYM thread should be left alone.

It's inconsequentially brilliant.

I'd like to point out that I didn't axe it when I was a mod :)

It's not my forum, I'm just traveling through...

Edited by Mac Dude

The WOYM thread is a harmless bit of fluff. Maybe it could be replaced by a thread titled WTF ! ;)

Oh and laptirp makes me laugh ;)

EDIT: finish the word "maybe" lol

Edited by bowiee

so, is spam is good!

Well, that's what I inferred from it.

Mind you, that seems slightly contrary to something I read about spam in the FAQ, so who knows what the official policy really is?

Edited by just_some_guy

so, is spam is good!

Well, that's what I inferred from it.

Mind you, that seems slightly contrary to something I read about spam in the FAQ, so who knows what the official policy really is?

Not me, I had it erased from my brain when I was defrocked ;)

Why should it? Posts are on topic more than not, and it's just that, a snap-shot of what people are thinking. Most enjoy, but a few seem annoyed by it. Don't open it if you don't like it. Quite simple really.

Why don't we put it to the mods? If it's as harmful as has been said, surely it'll be locked.

What mod is going to lock a thread started by a staffmember?
I can think of a couple :>

/RTM

(I'm serious).

I don't know why anyone would get reprimanded or suspended for what he's put in the OP.

agreed. threads started by staff and mods have been locked before. clearly, most people here haven't been around long enough to recall this :)

i think macdude raises a perfectly legitimate point and he has every right to ask the question and wonder who else feels the same way. i don't see anything in what he's posted as worthy of a moderators attention. i''ve never seen macdude post questionable content.

i also think the thread is a waste of space. it's my opinion that it serves no purpose other than an avenue for spam.

Keep it..

I rarely if ever look in it.

But it's either spam up that thread or spam up the forum..

I've noticed that since that has been active the amount of crappy spammy threads has reduced greatly.

People will NEVER have self control. If that thread wasn't there, they'd still post.. And it would be crap. Filling up the green room with pointless threads and sending people like me on hiatus again because I can't deal with the drivel.

Keep it controlled in the ideas concentration camp.

AD

It's not my forum, I'm just traveling through...

This post has been edited by Mac Dude: Today, 05:27 PM

As are we all.

Enjoying the communication - spam - whatever you want to call it :)

Why should it? Posts are on topic more than not, and it's just that, a snap-shot of what people are thinking. Most enjoy, but a few seem annoyed by it. Don't open it if you don't like it. Quite simple really.

errr, dude, if you read the OP you would realise that "Don't open it if you don't like it" is not what this thread is about.

It sounds to me like the benefits outweigh the negatives.

If it keeps the bullshit thread count down and isolates a lot of shit into one, easily ignorable place, then that sounds absolutely glorious to me.

Sure, there might be the odd thread-worthy topic that arises, and may even turn into a conversation in that thread, but that hardly seems like a reason to shut it down, especially when you consider that this happens in other threads, too. It doesn't have to be a spam thread for it to shoot off on some random tangent resulting in an interesting discussion that's either off topic, or outside the scope of the thread it's in.

I'm not really a fan of spammy posts, but they're going to happen, so by all means, feel indignant about it occuring and this thread glorifying it, but be aware that spam's still going to happen, and with this thread gone, it'll be less isolated and be not as easily ignored.

errr, dude, if you read the OP you would realise that "Don't open it if you don't like it" is not what this thread is about.

You posted your opinion, "the thread is robbing the rest of the Green Room of it's usual fodder", which is just that, your opinion. Most of the "usual fodder" are just crap spam threads anyhow, and this allows things to be consolidated without messing up the front-page overly. You seem to think it's an issue, many others do not. Don't like it? Don't read it. Then you won't have it to complain about.

I think MacDude had a valid point. I also think those who think the thread is beneficial have valid points.

In fact, there are more valid points in this thread than a herd of stampeding echidnas at a diabetic's convention.

I don't see any harm in people discussing their different views?

Edited by just_some_guy

I think MacDude had a valid point. I also think those who think the thread is beneficial have valid points.

In fact, there are more valid points in this thread than a herd of stampeding echidnas at a diabetic's convention.

I don't see any harm in people discussing their different views?

I think that about sums it up :)

In all honesty, I knew the thread wouldn't be locked unless the views of the mods had changed for some reason. The thread has been around for quite some time, so the mods perspective is clear. So what was the point of the discussion?

To get people to think.

Many people think that having a spam thread is good because it isolates the spam. There is obviously *some* truth to this, though I can't say I've noticed a drop in the percentage of spam in the Green Room. Yes, there has been a drop in the quantity of spam in the Green Room, but that is because there has been a drop in the number of posts overall.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the thread has possibly lead to a drop in the spam in the Green Room. I don't think anyone disagrees that the thread has also robbed the Green Room of some good threads.

The trick is, to separate the two.

Is it possible to have a "twitter-like" thread, collecting the one off comments and spam, but not collect what could be a great conversation?

I think the answer is yes, but it requires people who post in that thread to think before they post. Think, could this topic spawn a good conversation? If the answer is yes, go the extra mile and create a thread. It really isn't that hard to do, It only requires a little bit more effort and thought. Just a little bit.

I think ideally, technology could be the answer. Where we have a scrolling window to hold the one liners that people want to post. Kind of an IRC within the forums, but not :)

Until then, it's up to everyone to possibly think a little bit more before they post...

Oh and Midnighter, you missed the point again when you said, "Don't like it? Don't read it. Then you won't have it to complain about." It's because there are some very worthy topics posted in that thread that I bought up the discussion. It's not because it also contains crap. I'm as happy as the next guy for a toilet thread. But I think it would be beneficial to separate the shit from the good so that more people can participate.

Edited by Mac Dude

I personally consider the WOYM thread to be a kinda chat thread, there is always a few people in there and should I be sufficiently interested by a piece of net info that's worthy of being written down. WOYM is where it goes.

I cannot speak for the usefulness of the information that goes into there, but at the same time I couldn't say that the content was of such a low quality overall that it should be blown up all together.

The WOYM is like North Korea. There is a tonne of people in there who only post in there, if you take away there homeland they will angrily take up keys and spread over the boarder to China (Tech Talk) or move down into South Korea (Console Games)

Best to think of the citizens in the thread like worrysome, but for the most part fairly harmless Uranium - 238. And the thread itself a giant centrifuge that will rarely spit some U-235 out of the thread and into the hands of someone who might find it useful.

I do not support any military action against The Green Rooms saber rattling upstart. I think resources would be much better diverted to putting together a functional 3 state solutions for cross platform game discussion.

Mac Dude,

Can you give some examples of discussions in the thread that you feel would have been better suited to separate threads?

Yes I would also have to ask about some of the examples of a post or discussion that would have deserved its own thread. In regards to personal issues in the WOYM thread they were taken to their logical conclusions for the most part. I am not naive to think that WOYM is some kind of spam insurance but to say it has prevented other discussion is a similarly long bow to pull as we don't know what would have happened regardless and to think that one knows how things would have turned out is impossible. I think the existence of the thread hinges on one certain aspect being that people still find value in posting in the thread, now you won't get any argument from me there is spam in there and it is natural for anyone to post some spam at some point or another and for some reason we all still find value in that spam and the rest as well. Forums are usually quite good at moderating themselves into a nonevent when people stop finding value to the discussion and thus people still find value in what is in the WYOM thread. For what reasons I cannot tell you but you cannot just decide to ignore that value and deride it as spam enjoyment, hopefully that is why you started this thread in the first place.

What value do I get out of it? I get to see the thoughts of my friends on atomic at a given point without actually having to prod them to open up because if you put it out there means you want to discuss it. Just because I don't post in the thread to get some discussion going in the thread doesn't mean I'm not using it for something constructive.

Edit: Sentence structure.

Edited by Rion

The WOYM is like North Korea. There is a tonne of people in there who only post in there, if you take away there homeland they will angrily take up keys and spread over the boarder to China (Tech Talk) or move down into South Korea (Console Games)

LOL! Analogy of the Month!

The WOYM thread is in reality no different to the "What are you listening to" thread... since the latter has survived for as long as it has (back into V2.6 for those who don't know) there is no reason for the former to be locked.