just_some_guy

Broadband: should I go cable, or naked DSL?

What's the best broadband technology these days, in terms of fastest probable speed?

I realise there are many real world factors affecting the various technologies, including distance from exchange, and the number of other users on a cable.

However, if I want the fastest probable speed, should I be looking primarily at cable, or naked DSL?

All tips appreciated.

Separately: I'm prepared to pay up to say $80 per month for about 60Gb of downloadage at the fastest available speed. Can anyone recommend any providers or plans?

I'm with Exetel, they are so-o-o cheap, and I've had absolutely no problems with them. all their plans have 660G of off-peak (you can choose your hours), only the peak downloads vary from plan to plan. they don't charge for uploads, unlike most of them, and when you reach your limit, it's only $3 per Gig, or you can opt to have it shaped (N0-o-o-o!!!) if you so desire, they have 12 month plans - I can't fault them.

I pay $65 per month for 72G, ADSL2+, and a home phone (17c local calls)

for $80 (actually $75) on a 'naked' plan, you'd be looking at over 100G of downloads!

I got on to them via this site:

http://www.tandb.com.au/broadband/

Edited by osama_bin_athlon

Thanks. I can't find any mention of naked DSL on Exetel's website. Do they call it something else???

Or are you paying for a phone line connection with someone, and just getting standard ADSL 2?

I'm trying to avoid line rental costs, and go with VOIP, if possible.

Edited by just_some_guy

iinets plans are worth a look for VOIP and Internet bundles.

However if you want true reliability and speed, Internode is your port of call.

While CABLE is THEORETICALLY faster, i'd be checking your distance from your local telephone exchange. and if you're close to that I'd be going ADSL2+.

You pay through the ass for cable too.

You might want to try posting this in the right area next time mkay.

I had a look in the Networking Forum before I posted, but I couldn't see anything about Broadband. So I thought the Networking Forum must related to Networking of PCs, rather than broadband per se.

go to the link I gave you.....

I did. They seem to be an Exetel reseller. I prefer to deal with the supplier where possible. Exetel don't mention Naked on their site, so the reseller must somehow be bundling something from a carrier with the Exetel broadband.

But look, not trying to argue, appreciate the lead you gave me, just explaining why I asked the question.

While CABLE is THEORETICALLY faster, i'd be checking your distance from your local telephone exchange. and if you're close to that I'd be going ADSL2+.

Yeah, I must be lightyears away from my exchange... Im with TPG ADSL2+ and i get 1.2 down, 0.7 up. FML.

edit: oops, not exetel, im with TPG

Edited by computer_blue

to answer this question you need to understand your line quality and distance to the exchange.

I went from cable to ADSL2+ and back to cable. ADSL2+ was about 3 times slower than cable for me. So, how do you understand your line quality and distance? Well when i spoke to iiNet, they got those details from Telstra for me. They advised me that the speed would be poor when compared to cable, but Telstra had pissed me off so much I was willing to give it a try. I lasted 6 months of crappy performance before I switched back...

cable is faster.....for me, I get 17 mb per sec, shame I got crap router...

I'l give ya the results.

Posted Image

and for a country who has one of the slowest internets in the world, I think getting over 17mp/s is pretty good.

yep....

Edited by half kill

Internode.

Westnet.

TPG.

In that order.

Internode probably provides the best quality/quantity ratio. TPG has the best usage meter you could possibly want but the gaming pings are impossibly high and they take their net from Optus (blows). You're better off getting it from Internode who own lines out of Australia. :)

I'm on Bigpond, but moving to Node as soon as I can convince mum and as soon as the Extreme plans come into Area 1.

Yeah, I must be lightyears away from my exchange... Im with exetel ADSL2+ and i get 1.2 down, 0.7 up. FML.

Then why noy drop back to ADSL1 where you're almost guaranteed to get 1.5mbps

TPG has the best usage meter you could possibly want but the gaming pings are impossibly high and they take their net from Optus (blows).

I used TPG for gaming for years, and pings to all the major gaming services (Gamespace, Gamearena, 3FL, etc) were more than acceptable.

And No. TPG operate their own backbone connections, and have their own ADSL2+ infrastructure.

Scythe: If he's only getting 1200kbps on ADSL2+, it'll definitely be lower on ADSL1.

Bearing in mind that syncing at under 1500kbps generally indicates a fault on-premises somewhere, since this is normally the "You can't get ADSL" cut off point.

Cable is a very fast, very low latency connection, mainly owing to the fact that it's more or less a direct ethernet connection to your service provider (the MAC and Physical layer change, but there is no encapsulation as with DSL). Cable modems are not much more than a transciever. ADSL goes through an ATM layer, and more often than not, a PPP layer as well (PPPoE: PPP packets in Ethernet frames in ATM cells, or PPPoA: PPP packets in ATM cells). Unfortunately, cable connections are very expensive, usually prohibitively so. Sadfase.

Edit: Elaborated in some things in the last paragraph.

Edited by SquallStrife

TPG has the best usage meter you could possibly want but the gaming pings are impossibly high and they take their net from Optus (blows).

I used TPG for gaming for years, and pings to all the major gaming services (Gamespace, Gamearena, 3FL, etc) were more than acceptable.

And No. TPG operate their own backbone connections, and have their own ADSL2+ infrastructure.

Scythe: If he's only getting 1200kbps on ADSL2+, it'll definitely be lower on ADSL1.

Bearing in mind that syncing at under 1500kbps generally indicates a fault on-premises somewhere, since this is normally the "You can't get ADSL" cut off point.

Cable is a very fast, very low latency connection, mainly owing to the fact that it's more or less a direct ethernet connection to your service provider. Cable modems are not much more than a transciever. ADSL goes through an ATM layer, and more often than not, a PPP layer as well. Unfortunately, cable connections are very expensive, usually prohibitively so. Sadfase.

Yea I am glad I still have my old optus cable plan 12gig on peak and 24gig off peak $64.00 the plans they have now come no where near it for price and allowance.

Tpg would be my recommendation as well a mate of mine has it and speaks very highly of it.

Edit: I will also be going to TPG for my mobile later this month (when my contract with optus is over) $20.00 per month for $300.00 credit no contract my wife is already on it, (thank god) ;)

Edited by bowiee

I have 30 gig flat out for optus for 125$, but I guess that does include alot of phone stuff... lol

We've used Adam ADSL2+ for 5 years now and are pretty happy with them. $69/month for 80GB plan, starting on the 19th of this month (doubled our 40GB plan for no additional charge, 40GB up and 40GB down during peak, and 40 GB up and 40GB down off peak). They throttle if you go over limits rather than charge, which I prefer (but never gone over either).

http://adam.com.au/announcements/2009/Apri...ing_changes.php

I'd never use cable again. Upload is worse than ADSL2+. Dynamic IP on ADSL vs static IP on cable. ADSL speed is dependent upon line quality and distance to the exchange (although we've always been almost 7 kms from the exchange and never had a probelm), where cable is dependent upon cable quality, modem, and traffic (so at peak times it can be very slow). Also ADSL speeds remain consistent, but cable speeds vary drastically.

Naked DSL plans tend to be a little more expensive.

We use our VOIP regularly, but use MyNetPhone rather than an Adam bundle. For $15/month all calls are free. I call the USA often, so it's a must have for me. :-)

Edited by darklife41

I have 30 gig flat out for optus for 125$, but I guess that does include alot of phone stuff... lol

You're being ripped I think. Does it include VoIP? You could get a much better plan for less...Optus and Bigpond take Australians up the ass when it comes to internetz.

I'm with iiNet NakedDSL, 100GB for $90 a month. I thought that was ok, till I saw my speeds :(

4.11Mb/s

0.87Mb/s

Dynamic IP on ADSL vs static IP on cable.

False. Optus and Telstra both use 24-hr DHCP leases on their cable networks.

A static IP is preferable in a lot of situations, anyway.

where cable is dependent upon cable quality,

No, it either works or it doesn't. They don't run cable where it won't work.

modem,

Telstra and Optus both issue their customers the same cable modem, and have done for some time.

and traffic (so at peak times it can be very slow).

No different to ADSL.

Also ADSL speeds remain consistent, but cable speeds vary drastically.

Bollocks. ADSL's speed ceiling decreases proportionally to signal strength.

Cable customers can ALL get the same maximum speed (as determined by their plan), dependant on congestion at the optical node.

ADSL users are also subject to congestion-related speed loss, as everybody with a given ISP on a given exchange shares the backhaul. It's just not been as prevalent, since until relatively recently, the fastest ADSL connection was 1500kbps.

Dynamic IP on ADSL vs static IP on cable.

False. Optus and Telstra both use 24-hr DHCP leases on their cable networks.

A static IP is preferable in a lot of situations, anyway.

where cable is dependent upon cable quality,

No, it either works or it doesn't. They don't run cable where it won't work.

modem,

Telstra and Optus both issue their customers the same cable modem, and have done for some time.

and traffic (so at peak times it can be very slow).

No different to ADSL.

Also ADSL speeds remain consistent, but cable speeds vary drastically.

Bollocks. ADSL's speed ceiling decreases proportionally to signal strength.

Cable customers can ALL get the same maximum speed (as determined by their plan), dependant on congestion at the optical node.

ADSL users are also subject to congestion-related speed loss, as everybody with a given ISP on a given exchange shares the backhaul. It's just not been as prevalent, since until relatively recently, the fastest ADSL connection was 1500kbps.

Yep I agree with you completely he had the wrong end of the stick about cable connections. Also I dont even have a phone line to the house so no line rental, I use VOIP through my optus cable. As I said my old cable plan is no longer available for new customers but as long as they continue to keep me on it I will stay with cable.

I'd never use cable again. Upload is worse than ADSL2+. Dynamic IP on ADSL vs static IP on cable. ADSL speed is dependent upon line quality and distance to the exchange (although we've always been almost 7 kms from the exchange and never had a probelm), where cable is dependent upon cable quality, modem, and traffic (so at peak times it can be very slow). Also ADSL speeds remain consistent, but cable speeds vary drastically.

We were 4-4.5 km from the exchange I think, and ADSL was crap and never got anywhere near cable.

This just goes to show that it is dependent on the location, area, even the wiring in the house.

Just FYI, I get between 18Mb/s and 20Mb/s at speedtest.net on ADSL2+ with TPG, but mine's not naked, (not that that makes a difference afaik), and I can see the roof of the exchange about 150m away, out my window.

Years ago when I was renting with friends we got Optus cable when it rolled out. By today's standards it wasn't blazingly fast, I think about ~8Mb/s even though it was rated for higher, back then though it was the cream of the crop. Their usage policy then was kinda cool too, it was based on the usage of others, but we still got caught out a lot by going over 10 times the average user, and the way they updated this was always weird, (we could be under then all of a sudden the day rolled over and we were over). I guess this was because there was about 5 of us using it a *lot*.

When I moved out and got ADSL I didn't really notice much of a difference because there were fewer people using that bandwidth, and the costs weren't too high. I haven't really considered going back to cable since really.

I guess you do hear some horror stories about ADSL2+, but all in all, it's pretty damn good and should be your first option. If you find yourself living some ridiculous distance from the exchange, then weigh up the other options.

Edited by Periander