Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
bolt_krank

EB Trade-in

If there's anyone here that works for EB - could you let me know how the trade-in policy works ?

Is there a set price for a set game ? or does it go on other things - like quality of disc, etc. or both ?

If there is a set price - is this published info ? or a "trade secret" ?

If it's anything like cash converters, they'll buy it off you at a quarter of the price, and sell it for half.

Although i've seen games that are brand new, and their trade-in counterpart is about $5 cheaper.

Last Time I went there with a mint condition copy of Metal Gear Solid snake eater for PS2 and NBA Live '06 they offered me $10 total!

Previous to that I walked in and forgot my ID then they pulled some shit that I had to bring in a bank, bank statement and other shit. But I ignored going back to that place because she gave me the bigger shits when some guy who was standing behind me walked up to her to trade games in as well and didn't ask him for anything, and that just gave me the shits.

Also dependent on what games they are after at the time and which games to not take in I think.

Last Time I went there with a mint condition copy of Metal Gear Solid snake eater for PS2 and NBA Live '06 they offered me $10 total!

Previous to that I walked in and forgot my ID then they pulled some shit that I had to bring in a bank, bank statement and other shit. But I ignored going back to that place because she gave me the bigger shits when some guy who was standing behind me walked up to her to trade games in as well and didn't ask him for anything, and that just gave me the shits.

Also dependent on what games they are after at the time and which games to not take in I think.

eBay definitely better, but if you reeeeeeally wanna trade-in, JB offer much better prices these days, even if (like me) you have an EB edge card (more for trade in, and discount on pre-owned).

They have always been shit with this kind of thing, but I was amazed that I got about $90 off of gtaIV when I traded in some games. Most were crap like Pimp My Ride etc.

Was expecting about $9.

The real crime here is that you were actually trading in Snake Eater.

The trade-in policy works by you giving over a game most likely in very good condition for a paltry amount, far less than you'd get on Ebay or through other means of private sale. Following that they will resell your old game for an amount many times more than what you were given for it, making a ridiculous amount of margin and hurting the games industry at the same time.

I work at GAME, and our trade in policy is effectively everything except Xbox games have a variable trade-in value, and we have a bit of discretion about it.

IE, if you bring in a PS2 game in great condition, books/manuals, plus case, and it is reasonably rare, you can still get good value for it, say $10 or $12. Not great, but better than nothing. Wii, DS and PSP games are all worth a fair fortune ($50 to $70 in some cases), as are (of course) 360 and PS3 games.

However, there is one caveat. Xbox1 games are capped at $0.50 each, end of story, and that can't be changed. This is basically because GAME has a bazillion copies of xbox games, and also something to do with our agreement with MS.

Basically, if you want max $$, eBay it. If you can't be arsed, or you're looking to trade in towards another game or console or whatever, you migh tbe better served by dropping into GAME or EB.

The real crime here is that you were actually trading in Snake Eater.

I played it a few times. But never got hooked to it like the original, which I still have!

So not all has been lost ;)

The trade-in policy works by you giving over a game most likely in very good condition for a paltry amount, far less than you'd get on Ebay or through other means of private sale. Following that they will resell your old game for an amount many times more than what you were given for it, making a ridiculous amount of margin and hurting the games industry at the same time.

Plus the added bonus of the trade in policy (from a game sellers perspective) is, when re-selling the game, they make even more money back, as they don't have to pay the publisher/distributer anything. This also hurts (to a degree) the games industry, as there is no financial gain whatsoever, from a user buying a pre-owned game.

If it is a new release, you usually get bout half of what you paid back. Essentially, they just check if it works in a console, you don't get any more or less on the quality, although I think if the case is damaged or instructions missing you dont get as much.

Ebay for sure.

I just sold all my original perfect condition xbox games separately, and made a shitload of money.

Sold one footy game which I didn't know was rare, it went for 60 dollars.. I lol'd.

Older games and consoles forget it! Unless you look to make some Quick cash.

If the games is new ie; 1 month old you will get arround 65-70% back of what you paid, but it has to be new.

Also if the game turned out to he a hit and popular then it also increases the chance of better cash, if it was a flop they come up with some crap about they cant trade it in (basically the game is crap and we cant resell it so we wont make money and you will be getting the better end of the deal, so no trade)

bottom line... you will never win, nor come out with the better deal.

Whatever their system is, you'll be arse fucked over the amount you'll be getting back.

+1

Sell on Ebay, you'll get more than anything EB will give you...

+1

Basically the price they give to you to buy your games is not enough to actually trade it in at EB... Go to JB Hi Fi they are more reasonable i believe.

The games industry has already made the profit from original sale of the game, so no real "loss" there.

Having said that, I agree the margins are a joke.

I went to the place at the bottom of Belconnen Mall the other day and they still have PS1 games at $22-$30.

An absolute joke, considering many of them carry the "Platinum" label which in the day had a brand new price of $25-$40.

Every time I go into EB or JB I end up browsing the pre-owned section and walking out laughing about the PS3 games being $5-$10 less than new, forget that, I'd rather buy the new one.

you have to consider the store policy of these stores - jb and eb games about trade-in for games. There are the exclusion list of games that they will not accept trade-in. Foreign copies of games, etc..... and other rules of exemption.

i like the statement there somewhere that the person who trade-in games should not be off-their-face on alcohol or other drugs....

no junkies policy perhaps well-written...

Walp, I'm an EB employee.

All our trade-in prices are set by head office in QLD, and we don't vary from there.

You could bring in a game, disc only, and we'd still give you the same price as if it were mint condition, box, manual and everything.

We also match trade prices, so if you're getting more from JB or GAME, just ask for a trade price match. If they say no, then they're dickheads.

Also, there was mention about some 'bullshit' about needing ID for a trade in.

Legally, in NSW at least, you need to be at least 16 years old to trade in games.

We need the valid drivers license in case the games turn out to be stolen property, in which case we can hand over your details to the relevant authorities.

Otherwise, they just stay in our database and collect dust, because we don't use them for anything else.

eBay definitely better, but if you reeeeeeally wanna trade-in, JB offer much better prices these days, even if (like me) you have an EB edge card (more for trade in, and discount on pre-owned).

i work at jb hifi. we generally offer better prices than eb and game as far as i can tell. not to mention our credit goes further too. xbox original games generally $4-5. ps2 titles anywhere from 5 to 20 roughly. and of course new releases and such a lot more. if you ask we can technically increase the pay out by 10% but that is courtesy so don't expect it, especially depending on the condition of the game. we can reduce any amount depending on scratches, missing cases, manual, etc. we will fix any damaged discs and sort those out of course but we won't take exchanges unless they are still shrink wrapped. different stores may have different policies and of course discretion is taken every time as we try to be fair and reasonable while still being able to offer you guys those prices. if you want a very generous return policy eb is still ur man but you're going to be paying for it.

edit: we require (QLD) an australian drivers license. 18+ too. we will give credit for each game, exclusions are only for promos (trade 3 in to get it free for example) and of course we won't take region locked non-aus games.

if the game is missing a manual or something ask for a better price we might be able to do you better. depends on each store tho really and i think at our store we try to be as fair as possible.