Sign in to follow this  
AIMBOT

iPhone Warranty

I have iPhone 3G 16g model, and every since I first got it 6 months ago, little tiny hair-line cracks have started to appear around the chrome facade on the white plastic case. There’s now a large number of them, and sometimes when I hold it while on a call, I can hear the case almost move and crack more. Every time I hope to God that it doesn’t fall apart! These cracks started to appear around the volume controls.

It has never been dropped nor had any damaging amount of pressure applied to it. It has however, as of last week, been wet – and most probably set off some of the moisture sensors. There are several other problems with it, such as the screen does not detect input (have to power cycle it to work again). Does this mean that, even though all these issues were present before it got wet, that warranty is now void?

Any info on what my options are is much appreciated.

Um dont tell that it got wet!!!.

I would take it back immediately. In fact you prolly should have done so the first time you noticed cracks. I have 2 friends who have had a similar problem - apparently the materials that Apple use are getting cheaper and cheaper. One friend has had there s sent for repairs. 6 weeks and waiting. Apple is diputing with my other friend that the problems stem from 'normal use'.

just tell the guys that you have experienced cracks around the handset, better still, why not go to an apple branded store not a reseller. Unless of course, you are in Perth, and dont have an apple store nearby, then in that case, may i suggest that you call apples helpline and see if they are able to do anything for you.

By the way, if you do want to sell the damaged iphone, give me a buzz, im trying to source a motherboard for my out of warranty iphone :(

wow, same thing (cracks) is happening to my cousins 3 week old iphone. looks pretty bad, dont know if he's called apple or not.

Um dont tell that it got wet!!!.

I would take it back immediately. In fact you prolly should have done so the first time you noticed cracks. I have 2 friends who have had a similar problem - apparently the materials that Apple use are getting cheaper and cheaper. One friend has had there s sent for repairs. 6 weeks and waiting. Apple is diputing with my other friend that the problems stem from 'normal use'.

It's not a case of telling them if it got wet or not, they have moisture indicators in them, one is in the headphone jack for example.

Hey, i had the same problem with my phone as well. I decided to visit the apple store last week and they looked at the crack and looked inside the microphone jack for some reason and replaced the phone itself. The same thing happend to my bosses phone, they just replaced it a couple of months back.

Not sure if its a completely new one or just a refurbished model though, I heard of reports early on last year about the same problem, they probably got new phones as replacements but i doubt they do that so long after launch.

A quick google suggests this is starting to become a known issue.

If you fight hard enough (and are polite enough) I reckon they'd understand that the water damage has nothing to do with the cracks.

Rob.

Wonder if my iphone also has it, but since it is black, less noticeable...

What is it with apple and cracking cases :-/ My macbook is bad enough...

freespace: It's probably the same problem. The manufacturer using non-spec plastic mixture. If that is the case, and there is a widespread issue, then it will probably be covered by a REP.

Don't take it to a reseller. Take it to the premium store for your network, or an official apple store.

Resellers/service providers can't replace iPhones :(

Apple don't repair iPhones, they replace them. Unfortunately if the water immersion indicators have gone off, they won't replace the phone under warranty. However, they are now offering to replace even water damaged phones for $199.

Unfortunately if the water immersion indicators have gone off, they won't replace the phone under warranty. However, they are now offering to replace even water damaged phones for $199.

Ouch.

Who do I have to sleep with for someone to see reason?

I'd agree with TinBane, ODM's stuffing up with the plastic mixes is not uncommon, Apple aren't the only one's effected.

Rumor has it that Quanta are the iPhone 3G's Manufacturer, it wouldn't surprise me if they were at fault. having worked for a company that used them as an ODM it wouldn't surprise me because we had the same thing happen.

Just examined mine carefully, seems good.

Hey, TinBane, know anyway I can get a white macbook top case for DIY repairs?

If it got wet they'll know, my mate fixes phones for a living (at nokia) and he said just being in something that causes moisture, like a plastic bag will set it off it's a convenient way too get out of warranty.

Apple don't repair iPhones, they replace them. Unfortunately if the water immersion indicators have gone off, they won't replace the phone under warranty. However, they are now offering to replace even water damaged phones for $199.

That's $US a mate cracked his screen today $A245 for a replacement, they don't repair iPhone's they replace them.

The cracks might be covered by warranty.

All brands of phone have immersion indicators.

$245 makes me feel sick :-(

I'm going to the Apple Store in Sydney's CBD on the weekend. I shall bring flowers and chocolate to sweetheart the girl behind the counter... And possibly a leather thong in case it's a guy.

If it got wet they'll know, my mate fixes phones for a living (at nokia) and he said just being in something that causes moisture, like a plastic bag will set it off it's a convenient way too get out of warranty.

Humidity will not set off the detectors. Moisture (precipitate) will. Funnily enough, precipitation will cause water damage to the device. If you put a phone in a plastic bag, in the fridge, it will almost certainly at least partially set off an immersion sensor, and will probably over time kill your phone. Yes, I've played with the immersion sensors quite a bit :P~

What do you mean by 'get one for DIY repairs'?

A replacement top case that is brand new, in case yours breaks? Or a working but poor condition one to play with?

Top cases for macbooks need to be sent back to Apple, as of a month ago. They now contain (or the replacement ones contain) immersion sensors, because of the large numbers of dodgy warranty repairs put in.

is there a way to see (for the average user) if the moisture indicators have activated?

just wondering cos putting on my cover, it required the film to be wet with a special solution.

Yeah. One is in the headphone jack, at the bottom. It will be half white half red if it's "gone off".

If you are looking at the front of the iphone, behind the dock connector bit at the bottom, there is a black section. If it's "gone off" you can see it as red.

Basically, you can't see it if it's not gone off.

What do you mean by 'get one for DIY repairs'?

A replacement top case that is brand new, in case yours breaks? Or a working but poor condition one to play with?

Top cases for macbooks need to be sent back to Apple, as of a month ago. They now contain (or the replacement ones contain) immersion sensors, because of the large numbers of dodgy warranty repairs put in.

Well my top case is cracked, would like to get it fixed. Would not like to not have laptop for 3+days while it is getting fixed. Have taken it apart before, happy to do it again. Would like to replace top case myself.

Well my top case is cracked, would like to get it fixed. Would not like to not have laptop for 3+days while it is getting fixed. Have taken it apart before, happy to do it again. Would like to replace top case myself.

Now that top cases are 'return to apple' parts, because they have immersion sensors, it's just not going to happen. Resellers need to guarantee they'll get the old top case back, and need to get it back quick. If you are in Melbourne, I'll install one for you in ten minutes while you wait.

It shouldn't be an issue. Ring a reseller, ask them if they'll replace it while you wait, if you give them the serial number. They may want to see the macbook before they order. They don't need to take the laptop. There is no reason for you to lose it for three days.

They should offer to do it under warranty, in half an hour, while you wait. No priority fee.

If not, they aren't worth going to.

@TinBane: I forgot mention it is out of warranty... :P

No wonder they are no longer available on ebay...