bnew

Who do you use for your business internet link?

Hi everyone,

I'm a System Admin at a private college. We have around 500 students and 50 staff. Currently, our internet link is an E1 2Mbit/2Mbit.

Due to our location standard ADSL/ADSL2 isn't an option (hence the E1 link).

This week I've been attempting to gather information about what services various companies would be able to provide us, but It's pretty much been a huge headache. People say they will call me back and don't. I get left on hold for hours at a time. Emails go un-answered. It's like these people don't actually want our business.

Was hoping some of you might have some suggestions as to some reliable, professional companies that might be able to offer the kind of service we need.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Although i don't work there anymore, my previous work(of about 1 month ago) had Telstra 10mbit fibre links throughout the company.

Telstra DO offer them in regional areas(we know this from experience!), no matter what your local rep might say. You might need to go onto a 5 year contract to get them to waive the setup cost however.

Cost is approximately $2000/mo(+/- $500) for a 60GB limit.

We also had a 2MBit ethernet link from AmNet as well, unlimited transfer for about $1700/mo

We initially just went with the 2mbit link as we weren't able to get ADSL, and management weren't prepared to go for fibre at that stage.

You could also speak with Westnet, Internode or other providers about SHDSL which is probably available wherever you are. You'll be limited by which providers have SHDSL DSLAMs in your local exchange however. (and distance from the exchange as usual)

Hard to make recommendations without knowing where you are.

Can yo ube a bit more specific?

Yeah, apologies. Meant to come back and add some more detail.

We are located South West Sydney, past Campbelltown.

We use Exetel.

Despite their bad name they are cheap and we haven't had many major problems at all.

Thanks for the replies so far.

We are certainly limited by our distance from the nearest exchange. Not to mention most of the exchanges out here are still ADSL1.

Probably looking at something along the lines of the ethernet link that Caelum mentioned.

Edited by bnew

we have a 30mb link onto the optus network, tho it can go upto 100mb, we are paying about $10000 a month with unlimited downloads

we have a 30mb link onto the optus network, tho it can go upto 100mb, we are paying about $10000 a month with unlimited downloads

30 meg static/guaranteed, 100 meg burst?

$10K a month is still a lot of money. What sort of infrastructure do you have using that?

You might be surprised which exchanges have SHDSL available. It's still worth getting on to a few decent ISPs regarding the connection - even if the worst they can provide is something based on Telstra Wholesale SHDSL. (Though hopefully your exchange has xyzed or powertel SHDSL DSLAMs)