TheSecret

F.E.A.R. is the best game I have ever played.

Damn.

It's awesomely creepy. Actually creepy...not just surprises and startling you...actually atmospherically creepy. The story seems original and interesting.(Still playing it). The AI is damn impressive, actually knocking over things for cover, coordinating etc. The weapons and difficulty are pretty damn fine. The graphics are pretty damn fine. Really, I don't think I have played a better game.

I loved Deus Ex, mainly because of the story and openness. As an experience I think F.E.A.R has it beat. HL and HL2 were overrated, by a long shot. HL had some of the worst AI I have ever seen, in any game. No one lives forever was quite fun. Prey was pretty damn fun, with a great game and decent story. I loved the innovations such as no loading levels. I still remember Project IGI fondly. Soldier of Fortune and Max Payne were a fun ride, but mediocre. F.E.A.R takes the cake for me so far though.

What are other peoples thoughts?

Edited by TheSecret

fear is alright although

HL or HL2 are the best games ever (I cant decide which is better cause they are both awesome) then maybe fallout3 or goldeneye

i enjoyed HL2 more than FEAR, though both are excellant games imo.

FEAR 2 was utter tripe tho, didnt even bother finishing it because it was so boring, crashy, and dumbed down.

they dont make games like they used to, sigh.

Wont you one of the people saying how good it was Grelk?

i belive i was one of the people saying how meh it was to begin with.

grew bored of it really quick tho, i made a thread about it, ill go dig it up...

EDIT:

original thread

well, there you go, i liked it to begin with, except a whole bunch o little things.

imo the story was too weak towards the end. i just ended up reading what happens off the wiki as i didnt bother finishing the game.

crashes were annoying as well, as was the button mashing to get rid of those horror thingies and alma.

so really, a whole bunch of things that ruined the overall experience.

ah well, you win some you lose some.

Edited by G-relk

I enjoyed F.E.A.R. quite a lot, but the second game, not so much.

Still decent, but not up to scratch.

They're also both incredibly easy, even on the hardest difficulties.

Loved the first one, played the second very briefly on 360. I hate FPS's on consoles, so I wasn't surprised when I quickly grew bored of it.

Anyway, Deus Ex - > every other single player FPS.

I enjoyed FEAR. Didn't find it very creepy though. Now that I think about it, I've never played a game where I thought "Wow, this is really awesome."

Maybe I'm not a 'gamer'?

I'm generally not a gamer either.

Playing it with the lights off, and having a little girl appear when your climbing up the ladder...

I thought it was awesomely well done.

I found F.E.A.R's overall level design to be pretty bland in comparison to the likes of S.T.A.L.K.E.R, TES3:Morrowind, Fallout 3 etc. it was the same shit repeating itself over and over, after a few hours play you can tell when you're going to see Alma, having said that however, it was a fun experience, gameplay was good, it just fell short in all other areas, the story was lame and half way through I wished it was over.

Now, if you want a game that just oozes atmosphere, play S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl or Clear Sky, everything clicks so well in that. The level Design is to die for, and I dont think any other game has that beat yet, the amount of detail put into such a huge game world, the only other game that rivals it is Morrowind, Oblivion didnt have shit on either of those. Not to mention the day/night sequences, the other NPC stalkers in the zone, talking, playing music etc. I still havent come across another Open world game (forget the loading screens and fences, stalker is open world.) with that amount of detail and atmosphere.

Edited by nukejockey

Hmm, I'm going to check out STALKER. I don't know if FPS level design can be compared to an RPG.

I thought everything in FEAR was well implemented.., the guns, the bullet time, the effects, the way the story is communicated. Just all well done. Monolith keep on delivering.

STALKER is a god among games.

there is no game ive replayed as much as STALKER SoC. tonnes of excellent mods for it, great atmosphere, and an allround great game. CS had some cooler features, but the starting level in the swamps is annoying as fuck to do more than once.

plus SoC goes for about $20 nowadays, WIN!

Bah. STALKER pissed me right off. Sure it was pretty but the respawning enemies sucked balls.

FEAR was much better IMHO. It had a great atmosphere.

-X

If you're going to play Stalker, patch it to 1.0005 as 1.0006 is a multi player patch.

It will ctd on you, that's the major gripe about SSoC.

Play it through, a couple of times or so, without any mods first.

Then mod it with The Priboi Story 1.1 and/or Oblivion Lost 2.2.

The Priboi Story is the only major game change mod out there for SSoC.

You play a mil officer in Priboi and it's a very good twist to the game too.

Plus there's an RPG element to it too.

You have to find documents hidden throughout the game...there is a pdf walkthrough if you're that way inclined.

;-p

An off shoot of modding SSoC with Priboi, is that it doesn't ctd as much.

When I first played Priboi, I played it for 2 or 3 days before I had a ctd....amazed me completely O_O

Another good mod for SSoC is Faction Wars.

You know it's working, when in Cordon <the start area>, you meet stalkers carrying Nato weaponry and see Duty guys running around too.

Be careful who you shoot when using that mod, as it costs you 40k if you want to buy back favour with that particular faction.

Have fun.

;-p

Edited by pekkahead

You know it's working, when in Cordon <the start area>, you meet stalkers carrying Nato weaponry and see Duty guys running around too.

Be careful who you shoot when using that mod, as it costs you 40k if you want to buy back favour with that particular faction.

fixed, also my game never crashed to the desktop it only lagged badly every 5 minutes but that was from a bad sata cable on my hard drive that led me to beleive the hard drive was dead.

best thing to do at the start of the first one is to lure all those military idiots to the small village and get the outcasts to kill them all for you then take their ak74u's :D and go and raid their camp for tonnes of ammo and medical supplies oh and keep an eye out for those invisible creatures they scared the shit out of me a few times.

Edited by nesquick

never once had STALKER ctd except when i was fidlling with some mods and i buggered them up...

i was one of the lucky ones i spose.

never got around to playing the priboi story mod tho, might get it just to see what its like...

I reckon Crysis has F.E.A.R beat, though both games are some of the few examples of games with awesome gameplay AND graphics

Might have to install F.E.A.R and finish it this time

HL had some of the worst AI I have ever seen, in any game.

i am choking on the ghastly ghastliness of that statement!

i will have less trouble with it if you tell me you werent placing it in the context of the time though. imho, the AI in Half-Life was groundbreaking. in the context of what was out at the time -- from memory, an embarrassing amount of lamety-lame Quake (and even Doom) clones -- HL was the first game to have enemies that attempted to back eachother up and take cover behind corners of walls etc. it was quality. and i dont think it was even surpassed for some years. probably not until the likes of MoHAA or later.

as for FEAR, what it does well it does really well. which is good enough i guess. if only, if only, though -- it had more varied and detailed environments along with the freedom of, say, FarCry to go along with the atmosphere and hectic balls-to-wall room-shattering firefights.

Edited by @~thehung

well then, i put it to you that the scripting was groundbreaking. whilst i recognise the difference, the distinction is often unimportant to the end-user's experience. furthermore, i would wager that most games with "good AI" are judged so because they employ brilliant scripting under the hood, since the goal of sophisticated scripting is to generate behaviour which is indistinguishable from believable dynamic decision making.

perhaps your trained eye notices things in retrospect that others didnt / wouldnt / couldnt at the time? i know that amongst my circle of friends who were all fervent FPS gamers at the time, the common enduser experience was that it was noticeably superior AI.

Edited by @~thehung

HL relied on scripting to give the appearance of AI. The actual AI was complete shit.

well how else do you expect the NPC's to be able react to you? without set nodes and inputs/outputs for where they can walk/appear how else is the AI to know where its meant to go and when? if you don't think HL was groundbreaking in terms of the advancements it brought compared to other games of the time then you shouldn't be a PC gamer.

Didn't mind FEAR, but like a few others here I really enjoyed the STALKER games. Looking forward to the next one.