Sign in to follow this  
binkie

12" Netbook / Notebook

Hi there,

I'm looking at getting a Netbook or Notebook (which one? who knows..) and I'm not too familiar with these little guys.

I wanted to get a laptop that isn't too big nor too small because I found the 7 - 10" range much too small and the 15"+ too bulky and not that portable for Uni and traveling etc.

What are your opinions on this fuzzy border lined laptop range?

I'm very interested to hear what people have to say :)

Looking forward!

if your looking for something portable. i think a 14inch screen would be your sweetspot. its not big and bulky like the 15 inch screens. and its more then adequte for web-browsing and any daily tasks.

I have a 14 inch and my dad has a 15 inch. there is a huge step up in the size and i find that i pefer mine just cause its way easier to walk around the house with, and doesnt have that bulky feel to it.

14" is the best one for a mix of portability and workability, a 10 or 12 will do the job for most stuff except at home media and photo stuff, but then you can use a cheapm external monitor at home.

And zan, I had to quote your second line for it's non-intended double entendre.

Thanks guys.

Can you recommend any brand and/or models too for me to dip my toes into? :)

haha, i had like no idea what u were talking about... Then i realised. haha yay i made lunchbox's sig :)

anyway, as for brands, i have found my toshiba to be very reliable. cant realy say on specific models as i havent realy kept much of an eye on the laptop scene since i bought mine a few years back.

Edited by zan777

Alright.

Difference between the netbook 12" range, and the ultraportable 12" range is that of chipset and processor.

Ultraportable > Netbook in power.

Ultraportable > Netbook in price.

;)

Netbooks are mainly based on the Intel Atom processor and accompaning chipset. The Ultraportables are usually based on the Intel Core ULV range, which is more powerful clock-for-clock than the Atom range.

They're also usually a lot more expensive.

I used to think 14" was the sweet spot: now I'm not so sure. The 13.3" range seems to be the best for portability, weight, power and price for myself.

Toshiba, Asus, Dell... hell, even HP and the likes are all decent brands nowdays. Just stay away from Compaq :P

Alright.

Difference between the netbook 12" range, and the ultraportable 12" range is that of chipset and processor.

;)

Netbooks are mainly based on the Intel Atom processor and accompaning chipset. The Ultraportables are usually based on the Intel Core ULV range, which is more powerful clock-for-clock than the Atom range.

I used to think 14" was the sweet spot: now I'm not so sure. The 13.3" range seems to be the best for portability, weight, power and price for myself.

Toshiba, Asus, Dell... hell, even HP and the likes are all decent brands nowdays. Just stay away from Compaq :P

psst. compaq = hp :)

Alright.

;)

psst. compaq = hp :)

Yes but the compaq range has differences in the standard HP range, there are non-compaq HPs out there I believe.