Takoma

The absolutely positively humungous post-your-photos thread

You know what we need around here? One thread, in which everyone can post random workings and get some feedback. We've got Photo-A-Week, and I don't want to take away from that, but I for one find it tricky picking just one a week, and would like somewhere huge and collaborative, full of people's photos.

Post your pics here!

Please though, keep participating in Photo-A-Week. Those are for your best shots, this is for the rest.

For starters, some from a trip to Araluen Botanical Gardens a few weeks ago:

Posted Image

Bad bokeh!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I remember reading somewhere that God invented ducks so crappy photographers could still take photos of birds :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

More bad bokeh!

Posted Image

Could use a little feedback on this one. How do I stop the sun flaring up in the bright areas, and still maintain reasonable detail in the shadows?

Some good shots there, don't really see what your problem with the bokeh is, quite nice and soft with nicely circular highlights.

A for the Q: Either get yourself some graduated ND filters, or take two (Or more) exposures, one for the light area and one for the dark, and combine in Photoshop/exposure stacker/HDR software of choice.

Could use a little feedback on this one. How do I stop the sun flaring up in the bright areas, and still maintain reasonable detail in the shadows?

Some underexposure then some shadow + highlights in photoshop, or take an underexposed shot as well and use a gui for enfuse or a variant of it :)

Enfuse beats HDR hands down for the fact your result isn't a blend of images - it selects the 'best pixels' from various images to create the composite which is superior for shots that have moving objects so you dont get ghosting :)

Edited by Athiril

Some good shots there, don't really see what your problem with the bokeh is, quite nice and soft with nicely circular highlights.

He was probably after the creamy and silky bokeh.

Here's my contribution:

Posted Image

Nothing special about the photo...but just wanted to say that Pilsner Urquell is a great beer :P

I uploaded this one last night after trawling back through my trip photos. I've still got way to many to get through!

This is in Khiva, Uzbekistan. It's an incredibly beautiful place and the people were warm, friendly and went out of their way to make our experience there as smooth as possible.

This old fella was collecting brush for god only knows what, but I'm guessing from the amount of cooking and craft that goes on there it'd be for one of those two. I've only punched the colours up a little and done a bit of dodging around the face and hands:

Posted Image

Now Tak, I absolutely love this shot; could quite nicely be a great desktop. If anything I'd dupe the layer as an overlay and throttle the fill back until the colours are a bit more punchy but not overly dark. That's probably the quickest and dirtiest way to sort out the harsh lighting in the top left corner. Or you could do a little burning in that area instead. But seriously, nice work ;)

Posted Image

Seehund: Thanks, will try that.

First try at HDR:

Posted Image

I'm aware that it licks balls, but at least now I understand the process. Too bad the D40 doesn't have bracketing.

In other news, the D40 is also lacking a dust control system, and I suspect I've got a big bit of dust on the sensor. It's shown up in two separate photos, but doesn't show up in all of them. Good thing I'm familiar with the Clone tool huh :P

Tak, the last shot has me puzzled. The water is so blue, did you play with this, is it the white balance is it ihavenofuckingidea...

It looks artificially coloured. Some of the water shots I've taken with slow shutter speeds get the blur, but not that amount of blue. I'm curious.

Oh, and some nice shots BTW :).

This reminds me of something, I'm going to start to put "processing info" after all my shots so people know what I've done to them. I find this quite helpful.

Tak, the last shot has me puzzled. The water is so blue, did you play with this, is it the white balance is it ihavenofuckingidea...

It looks artificially coloured. Some of the water shots I've taken with slow shutter speeds get the blur, but not that amount of blue. I'm curious.

Oh, and some nice shots BTW :).

This reminds me of something, I'm going to start to put "processing info" after all my shots so people know what I've done to them. I find this quite helpful.

Everyone says that. I don't know what it is, all the water shots from that day turned out like that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm finding it difficult to correct without warming the entire image:

Posted Image

Not really a big issue though, I kinda like it the way it is :)

Posted Image

Picture looks a little flat...maybe a little bit more contrast?

Hope you don't mind me giving it a go:

Posted Image

Great looking dog though :D

Thanks Oomph, looks great, and I don;t mind at all. tbh I was just trying to get the f stops to work correctly with my SX10. It only goes to 2.8 at telephoto, which I'm finding lacking, or I'm just not doing it right :(

Btw, she's a Blue Heeler x German Shepard, you can't really tell but she's now 12 :P

Tak, thats the great things bout Nikons, I think its the combination of shadow, exposure time, and the fact its a Nikon (always vibrant colours). Also have you got the colour mode set to vibrant?

Got a little bored at work this evening, so came up with this :)

Posted Image

Edited by _sentinel

Two things I love capturing, people at ease and contrasting colours!

Posted Image

Damn you and your interesting subjects : D. You just wait till I get back from Santiago in July! (You wait, and then notice I spent all my time taking photos of company executives, instead of Machu Picchu and interesting Mayans :p ).

Seehund: Thanks, will try that.

First try at HDR:

Posted Image

I'm aware that it licks balls, but at least now I understand the process. Too bad the D40 doesn't have bracketing.

In other news, the D40 is also lacking a dust control system, and I suspect I've got a big bit of dust on the sensor. It's shown up in two separate photos, but doesn't show up in all of them. Good thing I'm familiar with the Clone tool huh :P

What software did you use? I tried Photomatix and it failed miserably.

Thanks OJ....really looking forward to seeing your shots when you get back!

This is one of my recent ones from the backlog of work. A locked door in Khiva. I just loved the texture and colours. I've applied an overlay and upped the contrast a tad.

Posted Image

seehund the colours are awesome! noice shot...

Ta fella :D

_sentinel, this is a great shot. I always like the idea of contrasting colour with black and white. The bleakness of the "indoors" just heightens the effect the outside has.

Posted Image

Played with it a bit myself a while back but wasn't overly happy with the results.

Posted Image

SquallStrife: Photomatix. It's touchy, the smallest thing moving in your shot can give nasty cigarette-burn looking blobs, and often bright fluorescent noise. I'm still working it all out.

Seehund:

Posted Image

Not black and white per se, just sponged almost all the way out and the drum burnt in.

Posted Image

SquallStrife: Photomatix. It's touchy, the smallest thing moving in your shot can give nasty cigarette-burn looking blobs, and often bright fluorescent noise. I'm still working it all out.

Seehund:

Posted Image

Not black and white per se, just sponged almost all the way out and the drum burnt in.

Posted Image

Enfuse GUI.

HDR blends multiple photographs together, so you will get ghosting from objects, enfuse selects the best focus, best saturation, or best exposed from each image to make a composite, no blending, no ghosting, but extended dynamic range :)

Posted Image

Yay, first decent bunch of clouds for a while. I need DSLR so I can get a wide lens :/

Thanks seehund :)

Edited by _sentinel

Great shot man, where was that taken from? Tiny CBD is tiny :P

Also, what kind of camera are you using? I notice six-point stars on some of the lights, is that a filter?

THAT was taken at ISO 80????

WTF? It's grain central!

It's a lovely shot, but why is the image so... bad?

Posted Image

Edited by SquallStrife

THAT was taken at ISO 80????

WTF? It's grain central!

It's a lovely shot, but why is the image so... bad?

Posted Image

cheaper, more mass produced sensors, with a lot higher density/resolution, each photosite is likely to have a greater % discrepancy in area in relation to other photosites.

The amplification in decibels required on the analogue electrical signal is going to be significantly higher on ISO 80 than it is on ISO 400 for a typical digital SLR etc.

If digital cameras' were measured in amplification/decibels rather than equivalent sensitivity it would be a royal PITA to translate exposure from one system to another.

It'd be nice to have the CHDK firmware hacks unlocking low amplification levels for the G10 and such (ISO 25 would be quite nice and good for landscape peoples).

Edited by Athiril

It's a Powershot SX10, with the 1.02b firmware, which means no CHDK for me just yet :(

I know the quality is shitty, which is wat depresses me so much :( it takes a far better shot during the day than at night.