Takoma

The absolutely positively humungous post-your-photos thread

Played with the original shot yesterday in CS4. Encahced the blacks and brought the magenta up a couple of points then and added a light, glow effect.

Didn't come out too bad I think and not too far removed from the original image.

Jiayuguan Morning

Posted Image

Love this shot Tak. Nice and crisp :)

Posted Image

Edited by seehund

it's, a photo.

Posted Image

Tak that first one, the blue bubbles! Is this an incorrect white balance?

You've actually reminded me, I seriously need to recalibrate SOMETHING! Pics look ok on the screen but have a slight pinkish hue when printed....

Can you put the original somewhere we could get to it? I wouldn't mind having a look at it if that's ok...

Posted Image

Hrmm. That's the untouched file (apart from a resize). I run my stuff through Lightroom before finishing in Photoshop, I wonder what I'm doing there that's giving them a blue? I usually up the Vibrance a touch, but tend to leave Saturation alone. I don't usually alter the Temperature, and certainly didn't in this case.

/shrug

hmmmm. A couple of questions :

You're shooting in jpg not raw?

did you change the white balance, or leave it "as shot"?

Cool.

I highly recommend shooting in RAW (NEF for Nikon) format. It provides the maximum amount of information per shot and leaves you a lot more flexibility in terms of white balance. On the downside, the images are BIG :) I'm sure some of the camera gurus here can give better reasons, but that's my basic understanding. There are lots of articles if you google "raw versus jpg"

I'm going to drag the raw image into LightRoom to see what happens when I do...

Edited by Mac Dude

I fooled around with RAW, but to be honest, as an amateur I don't think I'm able to make the most of its benefits. You have to fool around before opening them in Photoshop, they don't display thumbnails in Explorer, and let's face it, I'm only going to end up converting them to JPG and deleting the source NEF anyway.

The thumbnail thing, while perhaps sounding trite, is important to me. I reference images mentally by the image itself, not by some long and convoluted filename. It's one step of guesswork that I can do without, at least until I understand and will make use of the benefits that RAW offers :)

I fooled around with RAW, but to be honest, as an amateur I don't think I'm able to make the most of its benefits. You have to fool around before opening them in Photoshop, they don't display thumbnails in Explorer, and let's face it, I'm only going to end up converting them to JPG and deleting the source NEF anyway.

The thumbnail thing, while perhaps sounding trite, is important to me. I reference images mentally by the image itself, not by some long and convoluted filename. It's one step of guesswork that I can do without, at least until I understand and will make use of the benefits that RAW offers :)

I agree times eleventy billion, how you access your images is very important. Which is one of the reasons I use LightRoom. It treats the original image like a film negative. Any changes you make to an image are kept in the catalog - the original image is never touched. Regarding access to your raw images in Explorer, you should be able to. XP has the Microsoft RAW Image Viewer, and Vista support for raw images is better than it used to be.

May be worth checking this out.

For me, I use the LightRoom Library to search,and I find it much better than Explorer, especially if you start tagging pics. Makes grouping much easier...

Just some thoughts :)

EDIT : Nikon codec is here...

Edited by Mac Dude

http://www.arcsoft.com/products/rawviewer/

Allows you to view thumbnails of most of the "big name" manufacturers in Windows Explorer (working fine in Vista with Olympus .ORF files).

Free (just needs an valid email address, I think).

I use it and it's great for quick scans of what files are which.

Edited by hectorbustnuts

Awesome, that will remove the biggest hassle I have with RAW (or NEF, as it were).

Thanks guys :)

If you're still using the classic version of ACDSee Tak, I know how to make it able to view RAW images :)

If you're still using the classic version of ACDSee Tak, I know how to make it able to view RAW images :)

Share the love :)

It's easy.

Download the latest trail version of ACDSee.

Install it (I recommend into a virtual machine, to avoid it fucking with your associations etc).

Browse to the Plugins directory.

Copy ID_DCRaw.apl & the "Raw Defaults" folder from the latest version into the classic version's plugin folder.

Voila! Classic now has raw support! :D

Thank goodness for program writers using the same system for a decade. Backwards compatibility FTW!

If only they had an SDK for public use for the classic era of ACDSee. I'd totally learn how to program, just to write up a decent IPTC/EXIF/XMP plugin for it.

Did a bit of playing around with bouncing flash off walls whilst taking shots of graffiti on the weekend:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tweaked up this fine looking fellow in PS from Hosier Lane:

Posted Image

Oh, and the cat does his best "This Is SPARTAAAAAA!!!!" routine...

Posted Image

Love the colour seehund :)

Finally got a decent photo of the lizard who lives under my windowsill:

Posted Image

And a not so good one. It's kind of interesting though, the way there's one foot caught stationary while the rest of it shoots up the wall. This was taken at something like fifteen second exposure too, which I can't really explain.

Posted Image

I love the borders you do around your shots, seehunny. It really lifts them I feel.

Anyhoo...here's a pic I took a couple of months back in Bendigo (Footbridge entrance at Chinese Gardens) that I finally got around to balancing.

Posted Image

I love the borders you do around your shots, seehunny. It really lifts them I feel.

Anyhoo...here's a pic I took a couple of months back in Bendigo (Footbridge entrance at Chinese Gardens) that I finally got around to balancing.

Posted Image

Thanks man :D

While I normally don't like a lot of flare in an image, I quite like this one...the angle really suits it too.

I'm not a huge fan of flare either...it can really detract from a picture at times.

Fortunately I'd intended it and the low angle was given a bit of thought, to try and get the flare to sit "just right" (There were a couple of "too hot" and "too cold" shots before locking down this one which I've since deleted).