Takoma

The absolutely positively humungous post-your-photos thread

Burnt some incense against a black background and lit it using remote flash. Photo was then played around with in Photoshop (contrast, exposure, curves, saturation)

Had trouble getting defined smoke since I had only one flash and for stuff like this you need a huge amount of light.

Might give it another go soon though :)

Back in my moving picture days, I found the best way to light smoke dramatically was with a high-angle backlight, the kind of thing you'd use for a halo effect on a model.

I really like that B+W headstone Tak...

Here's a pic I took at last years Brisbane Motorshow.

Posted Image

Edited by Antraman

This is one from a few years back that I was inspired to dig out after Antraman's pic.

Taken at the Fezza exhibit during the 2007 F1 in Melbourne. Initially focussed on the pony and zoomed back during the exposure.

Camera: Panasonic DMC-FZ30

Exposure: 10 sec (10)

Aperture: f/11

Focal Length: 7.4 mm

ISO Speed: 80

Exposure Bias: 0/100 EV

From memory I didn't tweak it but I think I might pull the file and have another look.

Posted Image

Edited by seehund

A few fresh ones for your comments and criticisms:

Posted Image

Lace Monitor - South Stradbroke Island, QLD

Posted Image

Silhouette - Palm Beach, QLD

Posted Image

Rock Garden - Springbrook, QLD

Posted Image

Shore stones - Palm Beach, QLD

Posted Image

Birdhouse - South Stradbroke Island, QLD

I like the rock one, and if that silhouette didn't have the two scrubby trees poking in from the sides, it would really be something!

Just walked out the back into a burning sunset, dashed back inside, grabbed my camera and tripod, set up like a mad bastard, and took some shots. Had time to group 3 exposures and do some HDR, so here we go:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And one exposure on its own. (Converted straight from RAW in Lightroom, no saturation, brightness or contrast):

Posted Image

Nikon D80 1/100sec at f11 ISO100 with Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens at 170mm

Posted Image

Bore in Flinders Ranges

Edited by Antraman

I prefer the single exposure, also the sunset colour is much better in it, and the HDR conversion looks rather dreadful, what did you do/use?

Frodays shoot turned out not too shabby... should have started much earlier, sunrise probably would be a lot better and easier to work with.. and I seem to have a habbit of underexposing my portraits by normally a consistent 1 stop, sometimes more.. need to work on that, next time I think I'll get the school's light meter out for it.

Think I can do a fair bit better next time hopefully

Posted Image

I prefer the single exposure, also the sunset colour is much better in it, and the HDR conversion looks rather dreadful, what did you do/use?

Yeah me too, I'm just dicking around with it at this stage. Photomatix 3, just let it do what it wanted.

Yeah me too, I'm just dicking around with it at this stage. Photomatix 3, just let it do what it wanted.

I've never found a good way to use tone compressor, I always use details enhancer.

Frodays shoot turned out not too shabby... should have started much earlier, sunrise probably would be a lot better and easier to work with.. and I seem to have a habbit of underexposing my portraits by normally a consistent 1 stop, sometimes more.. need to work on that, next time I think I'll get the school's light meter out for it.

Posted Image

Are you just compressing the crap out of your jpgs, or is that photo actually quite blurry? As for overexposing, if anything I'd have cut her exposure about half a stop, not increased it.

Nice background, though!

I've never found a good way to use tone compressor, I always use details enhancer.

Me too, that's what that is :)

Posted Image

Are you just compressing the crap out of your jpgs, or is that photo actually quite blurry? As for overexposing, if anything I'd have cut her exposure about half a stop, not increased it.

Nice background, though!

I must be overcompensating in post, my CRT is kinda dark... then a lot of LCDs are way over bright (Apple LCDs are horrendous for that - along with their banding).

But her face is sligtly out of focus, though at that resolution it looks acceptably sharp.

And the majority of the histogram in the original capture was in the bottom third, pushed it way way up, so def was way underexposed as capture, might have pushed a little far, though it looks good on my monitor.

We were shooting in very low light.. i need to attach some led torches to the flashes to use as a modelling light for focus next time..

Anyway, two more I had time to post on:

Posted Image

still on the beach, just 0 ambient exposure, well after sun down, focussing by trial and error >.< lol

Posted Image

Hey Athiril, do you calibrate your monitor?

Or is your CRT on it's last legs and struggling to deliver brightness?

It's a pain in the arse when a good screen dies.

I think it's fair to say I'll be spending much of my photo time over the coming months processing holiday snaps.

Some of them will be a little easier - this guy is straight out of the camera:

Posted Image

I think it's fair to say I'll be spending much of my photo time over the coming months processing holiday snaps.

Some of them will be a little easier - this guy is straight out of the camera:

Posted Image

Great shot man. Love it.

Nikon D80 1/100sec at f11 ISO100 with Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens at 170mm

Posted Image

Bore in Flinders Ranges

I like the quirkey and unusual. This photo has definatly captured my imagination. Well done !

Took this one a week or so back near the Hilton in Melbourne:

Upped the blacks, neutrals and yellows the applied a lomo effetct, dropped the opacity back and finished with a vignette and a border.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/runnerone/3756212585/

Posted Image

I've wanted to take a photo that'd do this bridge justice for a while now...think I might've pulled it off ;)

Edited by seehund