Takoma

The absolutely positively humungous post-your-photos thread

Fark...I've got 5gigs worth of pics to go through froma 5 day trip to the Gold Coast. This might take a while!

5Gb, try 20Gb after 3 weeks in France and the UK, must learn to stop pressing the button everytime I see an old building or landscape. Of the latter one or two in the Panorama thread I've just started although my favourite of these is the chateau in St Jean de Cole near Perigeux.

Posted Image

although another from the same village is also very good (imho).

Posted Image

5Gb, try 20Gb after 3 weeks in France and the UK, must learn to stop pressing the button everytime I see an old building or landscape. Of the latter one or two in the Panorama thread I've just started although my favourite of these is the chateau in St Jean de Cole near Perigeux.

I'll meet your 20GB and raise you another 60GB.

I'm about 20% of the way through processing 80GB of photos from a recent 7.5 week holiday - what's worse is that I look through it all and realise I don't have any photos of some of the places I visited, because there were parts of the holiday when I decided not to take the camera out..

I'll meet your 20GB and raise you another 60GB.

I'm about 20% of the way through processing 80GB of photos from a recent 7.5 week holiday - what's worse is that I look through it all and realise I don't have any photos of some of the places I visited, because there were parts of the holiday when I decided not to take the camera out..

Yup, that's when you use the partner's camera... (which has another 4Gb on it)!

At least I've now stitched all the panoramas, now it's just colour and composition...

Yup, that's when you use the partner's camera... (which has another 4Gb on it)!

At least I've now stitched all the panoramas, now it's just colour and composition...

I took 3 cameras and 148GB of flash cards, there really wasn't any reason for me not to get all the photos I wanted, but it was a holiday first and photo trip second.

Yeah Tak, you're knocking out some good ones. I really like the third one, it feels like it's hit a great balance.

What program are you using for your HDRing?

Photomatix Pro 3.

I submitted the Apartment one and the Lounge one to InterfaceLIFT, where only the best get selected. They reckon if it's not up in two weeks, it's not going up, so kinda nervous to see if I make the grade :)

Edited by Takoma

Photomatix Pro 3.

I submitted the Apartment one and the Lounge one to InterfaceLIFT, where only the best get selected. They reckon if it's not up in two weeks, it's not going up, so kinda nervous to see if I make the grade :)

did you P/S the sky on the Apartment, a strange halo around the building and tree? Personally I like the 2CV one the best. Good luck.

Photomatix Pro 3.

did you P/S the sky on the Apartment, a strange halo around the building and tree? Personally I like the 2CV one the best. Good luck.

It's one of the by products of HDR processing. Here's some more to demonstrate (not mine, btw)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, 2CV?

--edit-- I think what I like most about HDR (not that you see it in many of my pics) is the incredible steel skies it produces. Here's one I took earlier today, a bit overdone, just to get the point across:

Posted Image

Edited by Takoma

what the hell is an elephant doing in Port Melbourne?

Pffft, elephant in Melbourne.

It's a mammoth, fool!

what the hell is an elephant doing in Port Melbourne?

Pffft, elephant in Melbourne.

It's a mammoth, fool!

Elephant, mammoth.......GREAT DANE!

So, not much difference really :p

The blurred shape in the background..I can't decide whether it makes or breaks that picture...I can't stop looking at it and wondering what the hell it is...but it certainly adds an eerie dimension to the image... The dog print in the foreground is very clear and sharp, something we are familiar with, and the ever increasing blurr on the shiny drops of water leads your eye away and upwards, into the back ground, towards...what? It does not look like a dog.

I see that as a graphic for a movie poster, like Where The Wild Things Are or something.

I really like the sharpness and richness of the sand detail in the foreground....everything seems just right in that pic. That is an enlarge, print and frame pic for me...

Edited by Antraman

This thread is rad.

I don't have much to offer and I've only got a P&S but here's a photo I'm somewhat proud of.

Posted Image

And here's one I took today while bushwalking.

Posted Image

Edited by nitro.vo

Ilford Multigrade IV RC Deluxe (pearl not glossy) ($10 for 25 sheets :))

3.5x5.5" shot as 3.5"x5" in speed graphic 4x5" camera with Kodak Ektar 127mm f/4.7 lens.

Exposed using Sunny 16 rule, rated at about ISO 3, 1/2 sec @ f/19 approx.

Developed in Rodinal R09 1+100, approx 20c (therm is broke, but is a nice warm day so water from the tap should be 20c) for 2 minutes in a biscuit tin plenty of swirly agitation.

Then fixed as normal, scanned.

Lottsa dust, prolly from being wet and waving it around in the air and outside to get it dry fast to scan (TONNES of dust in the sky D:)

here is the health of it:

excellent use of the scanner range :D

Posted Image

Image from Photoshop, shadows & highlights to lift up shadows so I can then increase contrast and local contrast accordingly without getting too dark, levelled out the sky.. perfect blue sky is boring in b&w and gives a low contrast flat look of being white but below white etc..

Posted Image

Detail crop:

Posted Image

Think I might try 1+300 since I can get this in 2 minutes... to increase dev time, and then overexpose a few stops so I can pull the image :):)

Might go to hardware store looking for copper sulphate to use as a bleach so I can do reversals :)

Also I may try Xtol diluted down a bit on this :)

The flare spots are probably from opening the biscuit tin outside of the change bag in the laundry slightly to drain out the and I accidentally opened it a little straight after I put the fix in in the change bag... since its the middle of the day and all I can do is close the door and the window blinds are stuck on what they are, the room is still light.. just no direct/hard light, and the paper is only approx ISO 3 so its not too bad :)

Have done this on ISO 100 4x5" film at night in the "dark" and no affect to the image at all :)

Posted Image

Fantastic shot OJ....as usual :p

A bit blown out with the upper right part of the image but I love it. Just makes me want to amble down to the waterline and see what's doing :D

Is the top shot from your hotel?

Posted Image

Fantastic shot OJ....as usual :p

A bit blown out with the upper right part of the image but I love it. Just makes me want to amble down to the waterline and see what's doing :D

Is the top shot from your hotel?

Thanks dude!

Unfortunately the whole time I was in Chile, there was mist absolutely everywhere, so whenever the sun came out getting some blown out bits was inevitable : ).

The top shot was from the office of a guy I was interviewing. It's through a window, but luckily I managed to avoid any reflections. I'd been up on the highest point in the city a few days prior, where that statue of the Virgin Mary is, but again the mist was so thick I could barely see the mountains, otherwise I would have taken my big 'this is Santiago' shot from there.

Santiago and Valparaiso are incredible towns, and none of my shots really do them justice. Some day I might go back for a holiday, but it'll have to be in one of the warmer months, and I'll need to bring a proper wide-angle and spend a lot more time looking for good shots, instead of just snapping them off when the opportunity presents itself.

Time to hit your flickr page again and have a trawl :p

But that shot's great - nothing like a good candid street shot; they're usually the best I find to capture the local feel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image