Takoma

The absolutely positively humungous post-your-photos thread

Posted Image

That is fucking awesome.

It reminds of Wallace and Grommits basement where they built their moon ship.

What processing did you do on that?

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Antraman: For this one, it was just dodging/burning, brightness/contrast, played around with the colour balance, levels/curves and a black hue layer.

Poor lighting made me shoot at 1/30s at f/2.5, which doesn't make for particularly sharp photos unfortunately.

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Antraman: For this one, it was just dodging/burning, brightness/contrast, played around with the colour balance, levels/curves and a black hue layer.

Poor lighting made me shoot at 1/30s at f/2.5, which doesn't make for particularly sharp photos unfortunately.

Its the colouring and lighting that make it special...reds and greens together, plus the dim lighting with bright highlights.

I'd buy a framed print of that if I saw it in a photo shop.

Much betterer! Bravo!

Cheers. :)

I've been using Paint.NET to edit my images. It takes me a while to clean the edges of the images because I have to do it manually (magic wand is too erratic). I guess it doesn't help that a large proportion of the image is transparent.

Much betterer! Bravo!

Cheers. :)

I've been using Paint.NET to edit my images. It takes me a while to clean the edges of the images because I have to do it manually (magic wand is too erratic). I guess it doesn't help that a large proportion of the image is transparent.

I think that if you're going to be doing product shots often you should look into a getting/making a light tent/box. It'll save you quite a bit of time removing shadows and background.

I've been laying down white paper under and around the objects. It helps, but the shadows are still an issue. Will have to find time to make me one of these light boxes.

A few more from today's outing:

That place is across the road to my place!

They are building a massive Channel Seven building there now. when they finish you can take some great shots of New vs Old shot :D

Edited by mecon2

They look great man, colours are spot on. Your camera doesn't seem to suffer from the slight cool shift mine does, I'm constantly having to warm my images just a touch. About the only thing I'd suggest is perhaps going to a smaller aperture (bigger F number) by a stop or two, and leaving the shutter open a bit longer. It'd smooth out the water a bit more, and might help with some of the softness around the edges. Not a really big deal though, I'm just nitpicking :P

If you have Photoshop, LordBug put me on to Manny Librodo's sharpening technique, which you can download as an action here. Really pops the details out, and it'd work wonders with the images you've posted. For example, (and I hope you don't mind)

Posted Image

You image, looks great.

Posted Image

After Manny's sharpening action. Pay attention to the rocks on the left, and the grass at the top. Deepens the colour a little bit, as well as sharpening all those little details. Once you've installed the action, it's one click. Done. That's not really a comment on your photos as such, more of a helpful suggestion to give your images a bit of extra pop :P

More photos :)

Every morning I travel down this road, and it has some really visually interesting subjects along the way, especially during the early morning fog:

Posted Image

Posted Image

c&c please :)

Here are some shots I took of my carnivorous plants coming into the spring new growth. These are raw, unedited. They're all taken with my little 7.1 MP shockproof Olympus camera.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can't wait to get a 'real' camera :)

If you have any advice on how to slightly improve them, please let me know! I have PhotoshopCS.

Here are some shots I took of my carnivorous plants coming into the spring new growth. These are raw, unedited. They're all taken with my little 7.1 MP shockproof Olympus camera.

I can't wait to get a 'real' camera :)

If you have any advice on how to slightly improve them, please let me know! I have PhotoshopCS.

The photos look a little blurry, so I'd try putting the camera down on a stand or maybe even those mini-tripods.

Also make use of the macro feature and get in amongst the plants to make for an interesting shot. Those venus flytraps would look more vicious if they were from a fly's point of view :)