Aki54

Slim PS3 basically confirmed.

Hmm, apart from discounting original stock, it doesn't sound like there will be an price-cut accompanying the slim.

The Slim hasn't even been formally confirmed, so you might want to cool your heels there a bit, champ.

Slim PS3 will happen, but not this year. MAAAAAAAAYBE for Christmas. Maybe. But I don't think so.

Next year with a big game launch and PSP Go.

EDIT: I'll get excited about it when the new PS3 is the size of a "fat" PS2 and they bring back PS2 BC.

In fact, how a mod would that be!?

Edited by thesorehead

Everyone knew it was coming. The manufacturing costs of the PS3 being lowered by 70%, the drying up of the supply chain, the various leaked pics online blah blah. I'll have to have a laugh in person at some EB chump I overheard last weekend saying there is no PS3 slim because Sony hasn't told EB about it yet. lolz

edit: ehh...blind!

I'm not sure what a $100 USD price cut translates to for us. Anyone know?

Edited by xfu

Yeah. Worst kept secret.

I still get at least 3 people a day asking about PS3s. I wish people would do their research.

Yeah. Worst kept secret.

I still get at least 3 people a day asking about PS3s. I wish people would do their research.

Asking what about PS3s Morris? I said worst kept secret because the audience here has a higher than average general knowledge of gaming, as Ug said we all knew it was coming.

Edit for speeling.

Edited by Aki54

Asking what about PS3s Morris? I said worst kept secret because the audience here has a higher than average general knowledge of gaming, as Ug said we all knew it was coming.

Edit for speeling.

Biggest surprise for me is still the timing. We all knew the announcement was coming but I think mostly people expected the actual machines to be a way off - holiday season maybe. Apparently they'll be available in a couple weeks.

So I am guessing that these even with the price cuts will be like $~500 still? considering how retail they know they can rip Australians off and nothing will be done about it?

Here's another interesting bit of info:

PS3 slim is sans the "other OS" feature, so no Linux. Why the hell would they do that?

was guna pickup a ps3 this week...but after reading this thread i mite hold off a bit...its been awhile since i had console...will be worth it to hold off for a few months i think...

PS3 slim is sans the "other OS" feature, so no Linux. Why the hell would they do that?

Because they're Sony, and taking features away has been a cornerstone of the PS3's development.

First backwards compatibility, then card readers, then SACD support, now Linux support.

Fuck Sony.

Hrm. Glad to be proved wrong on this one.

I like the look of it - matte > gloss, especially a black component. IMHO they should have gone with a more "standard hifi component" size and form factor - they're not marketing it as a toy, so they really should be comfortable with not producing it as such by now.

another link here

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/n...90819-epov.html

i wonder if this one will be as easy to upgrade the HD and does it have BC

It is listed on the EB website as 120Gb $499 and Sept 3rd availability.

Also there is no Backwards Compatablility yet. It is not on the public list of Firmware 3.0 features.

I don't really like the look of it but the reduced power consumption is welcomed.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/ps3-slim-vs...xbox-360-fight/

And from these photos it doesnt look like an easy upgrade for the Hard drive you may have to separate the shell and loose your warranty.And look at the cheap arss eject and on/off buttons. The corners have been amputated IMO to bring down the price , Ill be sticking with my Phat thanks.

LOL

I guess the repair guys at sony got sick of polishing the waranty refirbs.

Edited by donaldo74

Yeah I can confirm the September 3 date and the recommended retail price is $499.

I got some details at work today, but I read the news this morning before work so I knew what to expect.

Yeah. Worst kept secret.

Edit for speeling.

People asking if I have PS3s in stock. Even today I was asked. I just told them about the PS3 slim.

The regular gamers that come into my store to discuss games with me had predicted the PS3 slim already, just like most of us here on the forums.

EDIT:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/ps3-slim-vs...-fight/2217123/

Does the PS3 slim have any vents for cooling?

Edited by morris

Jeez... I've just been having a jack over at Gamespot and have ended up spending an hour and a half reading the comments page on the new PS3 page, very, very entertaining nuggets in between the fanboys.

The 360 camp has gone from "it's overpriced" to "the online sucks and who needs Blu Ray" in 5 seconds flat and there are plenty of muppets posting about how Sony's going to take over the world blah blah blah.

It really makes me laugh, as has been said time and again, buy the console with the games you want and if it's a factor, the console you're friends use online.

I personally don't like the look of the new console that much and even though I knew it was coming I got a PS3 a month ago.

What swayed me from the 360 was the defect rate and the lack of my 2 favourite games, Gran Turismo and God of War. Additionally and this may well only be for me but I have absolute shit loads of media content on my computer, some of which can't play on the PS3 (or 360 for that matter) so I use Tversity to transcode directly and over 10/100 it can't handle allot of err....h264 material and associated 5.1 etc so the 10/100/1000 connection makes a world of difference in that area.