Sign in to follow this  
hectorbustnuts

:O

http://kotaku.com/5262528/secret-of-monkey...on-sails-to-360

Both a mysteriously disappearing German rating and sources close to Adventure Gamers seem to indicate that a special edition of The Secret of Monkey Island is on its way to the Xbox 360.

We first caught wind of this via GamerBytes, who managed to snag a picture of the German listing before it was removed from the Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle website. The listing was for The Secret Of Monkey Island - Special Edition, with the system listed as the Xbox 360 and the publisher Activision Blizzard Deutschland GmbH, the European publishing arm for LucasArts.

Adventure game website Adventure Gamers claims that independent sources have already confirmed the existence of the project to them, with a planned revelation during E3 2009 in two weeks.

So what could the special edition tag mean? Is this a completely overhauled HD remake, or just the original title stretched and filtered? Will it be an Xbox Live Arcade title, or a full on Xbox 360 retail release? Does the project even exist?

We've sent out requests for more information to both LucasArts and Microsoft, though if the game is planned as a big E3 reveal, chances we'll get official confirmation before then are slim.

If this turns out not to be a real project, someone needs to get on it immediately. There's a whole generation of gamers who have no idea what game we're talking about, and that needs to be rectified as soon as possible.

Update: As expected, LucasArts doesn't comment on rumors or speculation.

Oh.

My.

God.

Fingers crossed this is real. I'd love to see Lucasarts revisit some of these old franchises, be it through redistribution as a "Classics" line on consoles, or actually giving us new content.

I've been playing with my ipod touch these last few weeks and I'm astounded they haven't ported the games over to that yet as it's an ideal system for point and click games I feel.

But yeah...hope this is real and I hope it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Full Throttle and Grim Fandango or bust. Surely if you jailbreak or do whatever it is you have to to you ipod touch there'd have to be a scumm emulator out there for it wouldn't there?

Edited by Aki54

Yeah, SCUMMVM is available for jailbroken iphone/touch, but I'm reluctant to fiddle with jailbreaking yet as I've not found a tutorial I'm happy with.

If anyone knows one, point me to it!

Awesome news.

Insult sword fighting in HD glory.

I hope they do go over the game with some glossy paint, the old school graphics stretched out will be as respulsive as a monkey in a negligee.

Yes! That much like your fiancee!

i'm using scummvm on the iphone atm, its pretty damn cool. Although I have fat fingers which can get annoying.

back on topic though, this would be great on wii.

Edited by Solid_Snake

Seriously do want.

My favourite LucasArts adventure game is still Grim Fandango, but Secret of Monkey Island is up there with the classics (as well as Curse of Monkey Island).

Yah heard about this, will be a 100% certain purchase for me, as would all of the Lucasarts adventures (LOOM FTW!).

Would be easy achievement points too ha.

Ohgodohgodohgod!

Please be true, and please have a nice HD makeover.

Also, do it for the whole series.

And Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle

And Sam n Max

And also bring out the Samn n Max seasons

Also, Grim Fandango & Full Throttle. Maybe even The Dig. Just give them all to me and I'll pay!

Please make this available on PC as well. The originals were on PC, and the majority of people who played them on PC the first time around are most likely still PC gamers.

Plus, mouse controls suck on console.

Would primary colour cartoons actually look any better at a higher resolution???

Take a look at Castle Crashers or SSF2HD Remix.

Would primary colour cartoons actually look any better at a higher resolution???

Take a look at Castle Crashers or SSF2HD Remix.

Yeah...I was going to point out those two as well although it wouldn't be a quick port over then. (Although "Curse of Monkey Island" wouldn't be too difficult, I suppose)

IT'S TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://kotaku.com/5273950/new-and-old-monk...es-in-the-works

The rumors of a remake of the original Monkey Island for Xbox Live Arcade are true, but it gets much better, as LucasArts and Telltale team up to deliver all-new episodic Monkey Island adventures.

Starting this July, Telltale will be releasing Tales of Monkey Island, a five-episode monthly adventure game series for the PC and WiiWare featuring the further adventures of Guybrush Threepwood and nemesis, LeChuck, as Guy accidentally releases a voodoo pox that threatens to turn the swashbuckling men of the Caribbean into pirate monsters, which is the only thing worse than just plain pirates.

Meanwhile, LucasArts is internally developing The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, which is a completely update version of the 1990 original, complete with new graphics, a remastered musical score, and full voice-overs. FULL VOICE-OVERS.

This could either be very good news, or very sad news, depending on how they handle it. The Secret of Monkey Island is due out this summer on Xbox Live Arcade and the PC.

:O

:D~

EDIT:

The one Hector linked above me is for Telltale Games' 5 episode monkey island game.

LucasArts are also working on a monkey island game - Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

This one is the one mentioned in the OP.

It's for PC and XBox 360. And the screenshots look great.

Edited by morris

Hmmm... it looks like he shaved the sides of his head and fluffed up his hair.

Okay... everything else looks great.

I'm just glad that so many people that worked on the old one are working on this one.

Just ask Al Lowe what he thinks about the last two Leisure Suit Larry games (or just check his website)

Wow. The remake looks like shit.

All the resolution offered by HD, and it looks LESS detailed than the original.

I'm excited about the voice track and orchestral music, but I REALLY hate the graphics.

Maybe it'll look better in the flesh... but I'm skeptical. And playing it in it's original 320 x 240 res isn't going to cut it, unless there's smoothing available. I'd be better off playing it via SCUMMVM on my PSP or PC, if that was the case.