vanderlae

'good' web hosting service?

Hi all

Newbie here.

I would really appreciate a couple of suggestions as to a couple of Aussie web hosting companies I should consider to for a website that I am getting developed shortly. The site will be a sort of 'client front' for my music production company, with the site sporting a 'show reel' consisting of very short splices of commercials I have written the music for. Potentially some kind of FTP or similar to send secure audio files over to the client. More just an informative site than a purchase point...no shopping cart etc. But the website will be pretty slick and will have a few bells and whistles because of the target market (advertising companies mainly, film directors possibly) but don't ask me what how they are created as I will just pay for the 'project' and don't know the technology going into it the site. So I guess that means it needs to support the regular programming things. Reliable, not overly expensive.

I'm not going to pretend I know ANYTHING about this side of the fence, so if you can comment on a couple of contenders that would be fantastic.

Oh, and somewhere to register the domains! Gees, how'd I forget that one?! The only one that has been suggested to me is Domain Hosting Shop

many thanks, very cool of you to help out! (apologies if this is in the wrong spot)

Edited by vanderlae

I used Total Choice to buy my domain and for the web hosting. It was recommended to me by folks here. Their support is great - when I've screwed something up I've been able to online chat with their support guys and fix the problem straight away...

A friend of mine runs this business Lake Hosting tell him you are from atomic and I sent you. He may offer a discount :)

Ill put in Synergy8 Alot of features, probably more than you need. Very easy to use though. Oh, and they can register a domain for you (probably like most host companies...)

Good luck with it!

I've been finding Cove quite good.

I am so angry! Cove - not a very good first impression. I went to register domains through them, though during the transaction process I decided to opt out because I was neither happy or certain what I was paying for - but despite browsing backward out of the transaction and emptying the shopping cart, the bastards invoiced me immediately via auto response. What is this? I have sent them an angry but considered note as certainly I am not liable for the invoice and they shouldn't have invoiced in the first place. I am so mad. If they don't cancel charges I will be irate.

way to go, Cove.

I've been finding Cove quite good.

I am so angry! Cove - not a very good first impression. I went to register domains through them, though during the transaction process I decided to opt out because I was neither happy or certain what I was paying for - but despite browsing backward out of the transaction and emptying the shopping cart, the bastards invoiced me immediately via auto response. What is this? I have sent them an angry but considered note as certainly I am not liable for the invoice and they shouldn't have invoiced in the first place. I am so mad. If they don't cancel charges I will be irate.

way to go, Cove.

Why did you give them your details if you didn't intend to buy it?

Does that even matter? I'm sure he thought he had a good reason, the point here is that the company wrongly charged him.

Does that even matter? I'm sure he thought he had a good reason, the point here is that the company wrongly charged him.

His actions triggered what is likely an automated system to send him an invoice. A simple email ought to clean up his mistake.

Easy peasy.

Rob.

Indeed, the point is however that there should not have been such an automatic system in place, until someone actually clicks buy.

Indeed, the point is however that there should not have been such an automatic system in place, until someone actually clicks buy.

I found it hard to believe that any automated system would do that.

Having gone to the website to order "dasgfss.com.au", I can see that I was right.

I'm on the shopping cart webpage, I clicked "Check Out" and javascript loaded up a form to enter all my details, choose my payment method, and then click "Complete Order".

So, in other words:

1) The OP was in the shopping cart where he could view items he was going to buy

2) He clicked "Check Out"

3) He entered his personal details, chose his payment method, and clicked "Complete Order"

I had assumed as much when I made my previous post, which is why I suggested that (despite the fact I believed it to be the OPs fault) a simple email would likely clear it up and that it wasn't something to go raging about.

Rob.

That's fair enough. Based on the OP, I had thought it was setup in a way contrary to how you describe, and he was incorrectly charged. It does say he opted out during the transaction, which would imply he had not yet clicked complete order.

Correct. I did not complete the order. The invoice was sent automatically using the details I had provided during the initial phase of the purchase. Payment details were not provided hence authorisation was not given. Regardless of selecting 'check out', again, the point is I reversed this (or so I thought) by back-browsing and emptying the checkout.

I have cleared it up now and in fact purchased what I intended on purchasing in the beginning after I spoke with a human. Lucky, because the option the automated process gave me wasn't clear and I had selected something which was irrelevant and not useful to me. Having been through this, I will say that I don't see any reason why I won't be happy with Cove now. Just an initial piss-off. I have now registered domains through them and hosting plan - thanks for the suggestion and all the replies.

Cheers

Payment details were not provided hence authorisation was not given.

There was no authorisation given for them to charge money from you. Authorisation was given to send you an invoice though.

Regardless of selecting 'check out', again, the point is I reversed this (or so I thought) by back-browsing and emptying the checkout.

A little tip for the future, don't click "Checkout", enter your details, and then click "Complete Order" if you don't want to be invoiced.

This applies double-y if you are not clear on what is actually being bought.

Rob.

Payment details were not provided hence authorisation was not given.

There was no authorisation given for them to charge money from you. Authorisation was given to send you an invoice though.

Regardless of selecting 'check out', again, the point is I reversed this (or so I thought) by back-browsing and emptying the checkout.

A little tip for the future, don't click "Checkout", enter your details, and then click "Complete Order" if you don't want to be invoiced.

This applies double-y if you are not clear on what is actually being bought.

Rob.

thanks for the hot tip

thanks for the hot tip

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be offensive or anything. Just that I really don't see what Cove did wrong, to be perfectly honest I think you simply made a mistake.

Not a big deal though, glad to hear that all it took was an email to sort things out. I do wish you good luck with whatever you have planned for the web hosting :)

Rob.

Despite what the others say I still recommend COVE. I have a liftime hosting and recommend it to my customers.