Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Windows 7 losing drives

Yeah, so its that time of the month apparently.

My file server does random HDD stuff and now my desktop too.

If I put ANY load on my D drive (say, defraggler), windows 7 loses both that drive and my ReadyBoost flash drive from My Computer.

Its no longer in device manager either, nor does the controller in the device manager recognise a drive attached.

NORMALLY id worry my drive was failing, but considering it happens simultaneously to my flash drive 90% of the time too, im not. Its also a fairly new drive which has recently passed tests.

Event viewer isnt pretty either:

as an estimate:

50X

DISK Event: 15

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, is not ready for access yet.

Error: ID 11

atapi

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort7.

1X VSS error

ID 6016

Express Writer error: failed while adding express writers from directory System.

and VDS basic provider:

Error code: 1

The Virtual Disk service entered the stopped state.

Unexpected failure. Error code: D@01010004

There are sporadic error logs in there too: "your registry is still in use, a force unmount was successful" when i shutdown, a couple of mentions of the other drives but they're VERY rare, and a cople of mentions of the Volume Shadow Copy Service being denied access to its own root directory. and a couple of "failed to flush drive cache" or something like that, i was stupid and cleared the logs this morning so I could see through the 1000 or so errors.

About the only thing I can think to try is dropping the SATA drives back to IDE mode rather than AHCI and seeing if the issue goes away.

*cry* why cant things work for me.

Edited by Master_Scythe

no, the HDD passes tests as long as im not in windows.

and yeahp, success.

Dropping the HDDs to IDE mode from AHCI in the BIOS has fixed the problem.

I used to able to force the 'drop' if i ran an analyse in defraggler, ive been able to do it 10 times now no error. i'll clear my event log again and see if anything comes up.

EDIT: looks like you're right.

Now that its in IDE mode, various tools seem to be able to do their job much better, and yep, there are a FUCKLOAD of bad blocks (or so HDTune says) as such, i'll test with Samsung Drive Tools, and if it says the same, this PC will not be used untill I get a drive to copy all my shit over to.

I guess im lucky I noticed eh?

Edited by Master_Scythe

how is it not? if i didnt notice the bad sectors could have continued and lead to corrupted data. I dont wanna lose my data.