nesquick

Wireless G covereage.

Hi guys I need some expert advice on a wireless G card for my sisters laptop, currently she is in Brisbane (near The Valley) so pretty close to the CBD and needs internet and the building she is staying in has a bit of concrete but she has large glass windows looking out to the street and is on the ground floor. So my question is would next G have coverage in there? the exchange is outputting the higher/newer frequency version of Next G if that makes any difference? I am a noob when it comes to these things sorry to say I just know the basics of internet connection and thats it.

The plan I picked out for her is the Node mobile data value 3GB plan for $39.95 per month with once off setup of $240 for the USB modem, USIM (whatever that is) and delivery so compared to most of the others that are lock in contracts this one seems good and I can add it our home internet bill to. more plans http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/isp-9-12/int...mobile-data.htm

thoughts suggestions?

Edited by nesquick

Is she staying in the V apartments? Godawful apartments they were...

The plan you linked to has nothing to do with Wireless G, but rather is transported across the 3G network, which just use cell phone towers. Being that close to the CBD you should be in perfect range and have perfect connectivity. The concrete walls won't make much of a difference, if at all.

Do some googling to find the optus coverage checker and check the address. Concrete walls often /will/ have an impact on reception due to their density and the steel reinforcement within them. It'll likely work if it's near a window or close enough to one but see if you can get a no-worky return guarantee from Internode just in case.

Also double-check that the device supplied by Internode is supported under the Operating System she's running.

Also 'NextG' is Telstra's product name; the Internode service is based on Optus' 3G data service.

Edited by segger

Do some googling to find the optus coverage checker and check the address. Concrete walls often /will/ have an impact on reception due to their density and the steel reinforcement within them. It'll likely work if it's near a window or close enough to one but see if you can get a no-worky return guarantee from Internode just in case.

Also double-check that the device supplied by Internode is supported under the Operating System she's running.

Also 'NextG' is Telstra's product name; the Internode service is based on Optus' 3G data service.

According to Internode the street address has coverage for 2100mhz Optus 3G so I guess it should be alright, thats the 7.2mb/s one isn't it?

also the modem supports every OS even linux and mac so thats a plus http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/view.do?id=1181

Like I said I don't really know the difference between telstra next G and Optus 3G, all seem the same to me lol although I can decipher plans easily.

Don't know what speed it is, but the speeds are radio data rates, not actual throughput so they don't mean much anyway. Some models of modem don't support 64-bit operating systems or don't yet have drivers for Fister, so bear this in mind.

What will your sister be using it for? DSL is always a more reliable alternative where available.

Don't know what speed it is, but the speeds are radio data rates, not actual throughput so they don't mean much anyway. Some models of modem don't support 64-bit operating systems or don't yet have drivers for Fister, so bear this in mind.

What will your sister be using it for? DSL is always a more reliable alternative where available.

The unit she is staying in doesn't actually have a phone line that could have a broadband signal passed through it so this is why she needs wireless, aparently the modem supplied with the node plan supports vista 32bit since 64bit was giving her some troubles on the machine I just swapped it back to the supplied OS.