Sign in to follow this  
robzy

8gb for UT3?

So I saw that Steam were having a free weekend, and half-price deal, for UT3.

I think that it can't hurt to install steam, and download it during offpeak to see what it's like. I've been out of gaming for a very long time, and am looking for a game to casually play in my spare time.

That is, of course, until I see that in order to get UT3 digitally via Steam I will have to download 8gb?

All I can say is ouch.

I have a 12/24 plan split between 3 heavy net users, so that wipes out a large large proportion of my monthly "spend".

C'est la vie, though.

Rob.

You don't get 'free' quota of your ISP? Or know someone who can loan you the install disks?

You don't get 'free' quota of your ISP? Or know someone who can loan you the install disks?

Nope and nope :P

Rob.

it mentions you need that much disk space, not that it will download that much. (ie compression/installation/etc)

unless i am mistaked

edit:

its still a wadload to download however

Edited by clockworkman

What i would do if i was you is install steam at work and download the files, then put them on a USB Hard Drive and away you go. Nearly every workplace has an internet connection, take advantage of it =D.

God Bless Norway and unlimited downloads /love

I was just playing it...not much has changed from just UT :\

Edited by TheSecret

it mentions you need that much disk space, not that it will download that much. (ie compression/installation/etc)

unless i am mistaked

edit:

It said it would take 4h29m to download at 500KB/s.... which also works out to 8GB :P

Rob.

Yeh, I dont think steam compresses the files on 3rd party games unfortunately. Surely you have a friend who is on one of the good aussie isps? (internode etc.)

What ISP are you with? Many offer free PIPE for steam downloads through Internode or WAIX for free downloads through 3fl.

What ISP are you with? Many offer free PIPE for steam downloads through Internode or WAIX for free downloads through 3fl.

Optus.

Rob.

unless i am mistaked

edit:

It said it would take 4h29m to download at 500KB/s.... which also works out to 8GB :P

Rob.

then i stand corrected :)

You could ask nicely for one of us to post you our already downloaded files on DVD...

Thanks for the offer, but not worth the effort :)

Rob.

You could ask nicely for one of us to post you our already downloaded files on DVD...

Rob.

I did similar for a work mate last week... He wants to buy the Orange Box, but doesn't want to spend the bandwidth on it. I did a Steam backup of just the games in the Orange Box and put it on two DVDs for him...

I assume when he buys it, he'll get the 5 games listed in his games list, but appearing as 'not installed'... I figure if he then closes Steam and runs the exe backup I gave him, he'll get the games installed.. Without costing any (or very much anyway) bandwidth...

Rob.

Blank DVD: $0.49

Postage + CD mailer: $1.50

Going to post office anyway to post stuff to another mate: priceless.

I'm happy to foot the bill for the CD + mailer.

In fact.. you're in Melbourne if I recall correctly. We could use this as an excuse for an atomic meet and organise something, purely for the purspose of saving $1.50 in postage. Who ever said anything about needing a good reason :P

=)

Edited by sirsquidness

Nope and yep :P

Rob.

*fixed*

:)

You forget the melbourne community my friend :)

What i would do if i was you is install steam at work and download the files, then put them on a USB Hard Drive and away you go. Nearly every workplace has an internet connection, take advantage of it =D.

God Bless Norway and unlimited downloads /love

Or school, our school gets something like 1.5Mbps...better then my homes 50kbps.

GRiD's a 10GB download. GTAIV, installed from disc, is 14.9GB just in the /Rockstar Games directory.

Sure, it's not a big issue now that HDD's are so huge and cheap. But it hurts digital distribution, especially in this country where broadband's (relatively) slow and still encumbered by stupid caps.

You forget the melbourne community my friend :)

Good point :P Still, it was an impulse thing and Steam making me have to go through that reminds me that there are probably more important things i should be doing anyways :P

GRiD's a 10GB download. GTAIV, installed from disc, is 14.9GB just in the /Rockstar Games directory.

Sure, it's not a big issue now that HDD's are so huge and cheap. But it hurts digital distribution, especially in this country where broadband's (relatively) slow and still encumbered by stupid caps.

Yeah, I don't particularly mind how much HDD space is taken up, it's the size of the installers that makes me ":S"

Rob.

Good point :P Still, it was an impulse thing and Steam making me have to go through that reminds me that there are probably more important things i should be doing anyways :P

Like playing TF2.