Sign in to follow this  
roger explosion

5.25 floppy disk drive

Does anyone know where i could find a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk drive? You know, the old floppy B: drive?

My flatmate is after one two access some old diskettes he found.

What sort of connections would it need to connect the motherboard?

Second hand will be fine as long as it works.

Maybe ebay? Doesn't look like there's much there, but its late and I didn't look too hard. :) It might even be worth going into a local PC shop (somewhere they do repairs) and seeing if they've got any lying around.

Unless you get a really old one then I think it'll be an IDE connector.

Edited by discoInferno

There are floppy connectors which are quite similar to the IDE connector on your motherboard...hopefully.

5.25" floppy drives plug in to your motherboard in the same place that your 3.5" drive plugs in.

You'll need a cable with the right connector on it, though. It's an edge connector like a console cartridge.

I've got some old 5.25" disks lying around for the c64, and they still work great. Its gonna depend largely on how they have been handled all this time...

In saying that, there can't be anything too exciting on there is there? And you can pretty much d/l all nostalgia from the net anyway...

Would be fun though, and bring back memories!

I've got some old 5.25" disks lying around for the c64, and they still work great. Its gonna depend largely on how they have been handled all this time...

In saying that, there can't be anything too exciting on there is there? And you can pretty much d/l all nostalgia from the net anyway...

Living in a nice tropical place, mould pretty much kills disks here if the dust doesn't get them.

TBH, I can do without those particular memories (such as playing games straight off the disk).

Good luck tho!

If you haven't already sourced a drive, you might be able to find one at a school. School's often have old bits of shit like this lying about in some storage room, and providing you don't have to deal with a total prat, most would cheerfully hand you a box of 5.25 floppy drives and thank you for giving them a new home.

If I had one, I'd certainly have no issue sending it to you.