smadge1

Windows Home Server

First post in the Windows forum.

I'd like some feedback on those folks who obtained and installed Windows Home Server trial editions (or full versions)

What system did you use, did you install add-ins, did you setup remote access.

Do you have Vista x64 clients?

Thanks

Noice!

I have WHS (full version), I updated from the Ubuntu server box in around Issue 50?

Previously had an old AMD crap box running a RAID 5, but decided to rip up my MCE and replace the guts of the server.

Intel Core2Duo

GA-8S661FXM-775

2gig DDR

300gb WD SATA

ATI Radeon 9800SE

Promise TX4310 RAID Card

[incidentally, anyone know how to force ATi Drivers on WHS? I've tried all compatibility modes without success!]

I decided to give WHS a whirl because I was not familiar with linux enough if the shit hit the fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed my tinkering with it.

It ran flawlessly for the whole time, but the initial setup was a bitch.

I'm still coming to grips with WHS, especially is disk management functionality. I'm still trying to figure it out, as I've only been running it for a week or so.

So No add-ons atm. I'm keen to look into Avast for WHS, and other security related mods.. Have not setup RA yet, as I want to make sure it safe from the

evil haxxors.

I'm also keen to hear what others have setup, and if they've encountered any issues or cool bits yet..

WHS Full edition,

Running on old P111 512 SDRam133

Several HDDS

PCI/SATa card-USB2

DVD Dual Layer Burner

CDRW Burner

External Lacie USB HDD enclosure

Philips LCD 15' Monitor

PowerRite PLUS UPS Belkin Power strip

The above is coupled to my Network Cabinet 2" with 2KRONE K100 Mod Strips hooked to DLink 24 PORT 10/100 Switch. Netgear ADSL Firewall Router.

NetComm Wireless LAN Access Point (only 11MPS 802.11B)

We have network points in the following rooms:

Main Bedroom x3 + Phone point (Xbox XBMC Chipped + Laptop access)

Study x2 + 2 Phone points (Main Home computer Brother MFC/Fax)

Theatre Room x2 Points ( Windows Media Centre Computer + XBox XBMC Chipped larger HDD)

Kitchen x2 Points ( for future Fridge )

2nd Bedroom x2 Points + Phone point ( Currently Spare Future Second Study Room)

3rd Bedroom x2 Points + Phone point ( Currently Spare Waiting on Children to drop from Sky!)

4th Bedroom x4 Points + Phone point ( XBox XBMC Guest bedroom For Mother-In-Law!!!)

Family Room x2 Points ( Xbox XBMC Chipped larger HDD Crystal Edition, hooked up to home Stereo)

Workshop / Storeroom x3 Points + Phone point ( Work Computer + hookup for Carputer that's in Both our Vehicles)

So we use WHS for streaming Media files DivX Our private photo collection and use the backup faculity for all of our computer systems.

The whole system took me around 2 weeks to set up Hardware side of things, The Xboxes took about 3 days, and the Home theatre system is still a work in progress (works really good but I want it work better, and some of the extra wires I had to put in still need to be put into the wall cavity.

WHS allowed me to put all of the above together, and I stumbled on to it in April of this year through a Computer Mag.

The Wireless point is for the neighbours, allows them to access our system to print and share files, we have really great neighbours, they share there F*xT##l with us as well!

What system did you use, did you install add-ins, did you setup remote access.

Do you have Vista x64 clients?

I've been using WHS since January 2008 - I use the "120 day" trial (it's a long story how) - I do have a full copy sitting ready to do a reinstall when/if the 120 day trial ever stops

I hsve PP1 installed

WHS: Dell 9150 (aka XPS400) D940 3.2GHz dual core, 2GB 667MHz RAM, 500GB/400GB,/320GB SATA, 500GB USB, MSI nVIDIA NX6200TC Video running WHS PP1 with clients - 2 x Vista Ultimate, 1 x Vista Home Premium, 2 x XP Pro, 2 x XBOX360, APC ES BE700-AZ 700VA/450W battery backup

which is serving up data to my

Media Centre: Apache H-21BK ATX Case, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3, Intel C2D E8400, 4GB 800Mhz RAM, nVidia 8600GT, 500GB/750GB SATA, 19" Dell FP LCD & Fujitsu 19" LCD, Hauppauge NOVA T-500 dual digital tuner, ICETV EPG, Vista Ultimate connected to XBOX360 Pro x2, Fujitsu 42" P42HHA40US Plasma, AUSID HD Dig Tuner

I use remote access via my Netcomm NB6Plus4W ADSL2+ Router

I have three add-ins installed

F Secure Security 2009

WHS disk Management (a must in my view)

Whiist

No Vista 64 bit clients

If you want to learn more about WHS vist www.wegotserved.co.uk and check out the forums? there

I wanted to build a new server from the ground up to host a very large amount of data and I wanted to get it off the ground quickly without having to go through a Linux learning curve and configuration process. Windows Home server gave me everything I wanted in an OS with remote access capability and a rather unique storage capability therefore reducing the need for a RAID.

Currently its details are:

Hardware

Intel E4600 CORE 2 DUO

Kingston DDR2 4GB PC6400

Gigabyte G33M-S2L S775

4x Western Digital 750G

1x Western Digital 640G

Billion BiPAC 7404VGO(M) router

Software

Windows Home Server Full Version

Power Pack 1

Comodo Firewall

Avast!

Disk Management

Advanced Admin Console

Duplication Info

Orb

Utorrent

Windows x64 Client

VM Workstation

Originally the 640 drive was going to be the main system drive in the server but that wasn't applicable with Windows Home Server so now they are all just one storage pool with replication on for most folders. I have used over half of the pool already and I am looking at adding some Terabyte drives to the pool as well. I chose a gruntier CPU and more RAM because I am also running some VM's occasionally on the machine and wanted to give them a little bit of performance while I know WHS isn't the most ideal platform to host them but it does the job well enough.

Setting up remote access with WHS and the Billion was a difficult exercise I spend a day or two going through forums, reconfiguring my router time and time again until I finally cracked it. For someone who wanted to avoid long setup and configuration process I hadn't done that at all. However now I can remote desktop to the machine wherever I am and run VM's or download what I choose to. I have also setup Orb user and guest accounts so I can stream any media I have onto the net on demand through a browser window. Specific users have access rights to download what they wish off it although this is limited to how much my pipe can handle.

At home it is a media and VM server that I access through shares on the network or directly through remote desktop. It connects to a modded Xbox through XMBC and all my media can be run through it, eventually I will build a media center PC specifically for the task. I also use the x64 client for my main Vista machine to connect to it at home but personally I am more of a remote desktop user so I use that if I want to perform direct manipulation. I use the Home console if I want to quick check the status of the server even though I have given the console all the tools to use that it is practically a remote connection regardless. The x64 client has given me no troubles whatsoever.

Since I setup the system about a month and a half ago it has run stably and without issues. WHS does the job for now and I don't regret the decision. Although I need to check to see what other utilities are on offer now as well as continue research into easier and better forms of media streaming to remote clients.

Rion,

Did you buy the Avast WHS Edition, or are you just using the free home edition?

Also, does anyone know whether it is better to let WHS manage drives in the storage pool (faux RAID5 via replication)

or, like what I have done, and used a 4x drive RAID5 (that appears as a single disk?) in the storage pool?

Thanks,

a

Rion,

Did you buy the Avast WHS Edition, or are you just using the free home edition?

Also, does anyone know whether it is better to let WHS manage drives in the storage pool (faux RAID5 via replication)

or, like what I have done, and used a 4x drive RAID5 (that appears as a single disk?) in the storage pool?

Thanks,

a

I bought the Avast WHS Edition, does a fine job as far as I'm concerned. I attempted to use a RAID with WHS but there were a few problems getting it to detect the arry. Then once I got that sorted I thought the matter of the fact is that if I use a RAID I cannot expand the media pool properly or utilise the features of WHS drive replication as effectively. I pulled the RAID card out and just used the media pool which allows for quick additions/removals to the pool, rebuilding and replication fatures. Using a RAID over the top of this just made too many problems than solved for me at least.

Sorry I haven't posted my stuff in this thread, I will do, (I've tried twice... one system freeze and one brown-out later I decided to give it a rest)

I have the WHS specs in my profile, if you click my username or Av, it will take you there, I'll post up in the thread tomorrow.

For those of you with lots of windows PCs at home it could be worth using WSUS on your WHS boxes.

WSUS

Once set up it should keep all windows 2000, XP and Vista computers updated, which may simplify the update procedure for you.

For those of you with lots of windows PCs at home it could be worth using WSUS on your WHS boxes.

WSUS

Once set up it should keep all windows 2000, XP and Vista computers updated, which may simplify the update procedure for you.

When you install it, only pick the OS'es and apps you're actually using.

I learnt that the hard way, as WSUS happily filled the disk to the brim, and Exchange/OWA fell to a heap.

Thanks for your help Rion.

I eventually got it working ^_^

On a side note is there anyway to purchase a full version of Home Server and just enter the serial without having to reinstall completely when my Trial version runs out?

On a side note is there anyway to purchase a full version of Home Server and just enter the serial without having to reinstall completely when my Trial version runs out?

Sorry no there is not - but you can do a server reinstall as opposed to a new install and save your data and back-ups - it's all explained here

I have recently installed Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 onto my Windows Home Server. I've shoe-horned it onto port 80, which tends to break things, but at least it's better than the default page.

http://atomicwhs.homeserver.com/

iam actually intrested in using home server as its kernel is supposed to be much better suited to multi core cpu's. Is it possible to use it as your main os for playing games on?

cheers

Well, it's a 2003 kernel, some people have used it for games, but it's uncharted territory.

After using this till the trial ran out I didn't like it as much as I like 2003 server r2. I think I want to move over to 2003 r2 for home. This way i use it at work and at home and I have a machine to do training on.

Home had some really good features but I just didnt like it enough to warrant it over 2003 server.

It is a V1 product, hopefully they'll take a lot of feedback on board for the next version.

I know this is an oooold thread, but we don't have bumps anymore.

I'm in the process of installing this now, so we'll see how it goes :)

In 2.6 if you posted in a thread > 3 months since last post it would append a [bUMPED] to the title to warn people it was an old/dead thread.

2 months, but meh, it was a silly rule anyway.

People have been able to get a lot of Server 2003's functionality out of WHS. Set it as a DHCP server, DNS, Domain Controller, WDS, etc.

Me? I just use it to store my crap, in a redundant fashion, and to backup my clients every night. Remote access is a bonus!

Yep it's going to be for the missus' backups because she can't handle manually putting them on the samba share :p

See, I never used to do backups, but this way is a no-brainer, and it captures snapshots every night, and you can set how long you want to keep the daily, weekly and monthly snapshots.

Edited by smadge1

Well I have WHS installed again, this time on a little ViaC7 1.5Ghz integrated CPU system. 512Mb ram and 2 320Gb HDDs at the moment. Two passive heatsinks on the cpu and northbridge and the only cooling fan is the PSU 120mm one. Sits in the corner making hardly any noise torrenting away and doing backups of my work PC. So far so good.

Power packs 1 and 2 seem to have tweaked things from the original release.