Nich...

Aion

Aion: The Tower of Eternity is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) released in Korea with new localized versions in development. The game developer is NCsoft's own Aion Team Development Dept, a major Korean game developer. Aion combines PvP and PvE in a fantasy dream setting. A major feature of the game is flying, both to reach new areas of the game and for aerial combat.

Posted Image

It's an MMO, you hit stuff with pointy sticks and it dies and gives you t eh phat lewts...

Or is that too much of an oversimplification for you?

Probably the first thing you notice about the game is that it is absolutely gorgeous (using the CryEngine) but it runs like a dream. It may not be pushing the engine to its limit like certain other games on the engine, but I was getting a fairly constant 100+ fps on my 4870 at max settings with AA turned on and loading times were pretty much non existent on the rare occasions you need to swap zones. This is how you want an MMO to run (I'm looking at you WAR...)

Ok, maybe I lied. That's probably not the first thing you'll notice, that'd probably be ye olde character creation screen. You pick your character from four basic archetypes (Tank, Healer, Mage, Scout) with each class getting a choice of two 'specialization' at level ten. Then you get to use what could be considered a game in itself, the character customization screen. There's more sliders and options here then a slidery optioning thingy... But you only want to know about one of those right? You want to hear those two magical words...

Boob Slider.

Yes it's there. There also everything from height (and with it age for all you weird lolicons) to arm length, foot size, head size, facial details and more options then I can care to remember. All that matters is the boob slider...

Combat starts of fairly similar to WoW (select a target, press fireball, pew pew, loot) but later on you start getting 'chain skills' that can only be cast after you use a specific skill before it with multiple chain variations becoming available later on. So(to use a dirty WoW analogy) instead of just pressing two over and over for a fireball you'd have to scorch then you'd get an instant cast fireball and the option of then using an instant cast pyroblast or a frostbolt of that. The hotbars can be set to change spells as you press them for chains and options also come up in the middle of you screen to click on for the keybind challenged...

The game doesn't seem very 'grindy' for an asian MMO with the vast majority of exp seeming to come off quests. Hell, one thirty second long quest at level nine dings you straight to ten but that is also the all important class specialization level and of course with it, wings. Specialization is basically like choosing whether you want your scout to be a rogue or a hunter or your priest to be holy speced or a retnub.

You can't fly everywhere so theres no cheesing your way through quest mobs and in the early areas where you can fly you can only fly for so long before you'd better find somewhere to land (there's a reason to it, but you can read the quest text for yourself...) You can glide pretty much anywhere and there seems to be updrafts here and there so it's not uncommon to go looking for a cliff to throw yourself off to speed up your travel time a little. The sadistic glee you get when you first get challenged by a warrior and proceed to fly off and nuke him while he cries he can't find the fly button is worth the price of admission. I've only really had a chance to fiddle with low level STV arena style pvp since the 'real' pvp doesnt start till twenty five but it didn't seem to bad with a competent group and a smaller group did seem to stand a pretty good chance against a larger group.

Mudflation doesn't seem to be too bad and something every other MMO seems to overlook in every other game is handled well. White/common gear us actually useful and is comparable to green/uncommon loot a few levels below it. The white gear you craft will get used and you even get decent exp for crafting/harvesting materials.

Combat starts of fairly similar to WoW (select a target, press fireball, pew pew, loot) but later on you start getting 'chain skills' that can only be cast after you use a specific skill before it with multiple chain variations becoming available later on. So(to use a dirty WoW analogy) instead of just pressing two over and over for a fireball you'd have to scorch then you'd get an instant cast fireball and the option of then using an instant cast pyroblast or a frostbolt of that. The hotbars can be set to change spells as you press them for chains and options also come up in the middle of you screen to click on for the keybind challenged...

So like LOTR:O? =P

I've never played Lotro, but a glance over some wiki's makes me think what you're talking about is more like something out of FFXI which is nothing like the Aion system. Feel free to link me to a decent description of the Lotro system and I'll get back to you on that.

AION - Open Beta

http://games.on.net/filelist.php?app=1565&menu=1

Wickid Trailer

http://tvpot.daum.net/playaion/

I want to run this Maxed out...But Its not in my native tongue/natural reading spectrum.

Did you download the engrish language pack or do something else.?

Cos AFAIK this is Korean Default....?

$$

http://forum.mmosite.com/topics/245/200905...time=1244485164

It's an MMO, you hit stuff with pointy sticks and it dies and gives you t eh phat lewts...

Or is that too much of an oversimplification for you?

Edited by StoolSample

That's the Chinese version not the Korean one. It's stuck at the version 1.0 for <insert conspiracy theory about bots or publishers not wanting to pay for updated versions here> rather then the 1.2 or 1.3 the Koreans are at (I can't recall which off the top of my head). But yes, you can get an English language pack for it that is nowhere near engrish. All the quest text and abilities make 100% sense and I've only come across one tiny piece of text that wasn't translated on a vendor in the Asmodian side. Just make sure to set your languages on your computer to American English or the pack won't work.

Your other option would be to get ahold of a preorder/closed beta key and play in the next event starting on the 19th. The lag coming out of the American servers is next to nothing compared to the Chinese ones and the text in game looks to be the same as the English pack for the Chinese version which does make one wonder whats taking NcSoft so long with the English release or why the closed beta that just ended was only on version 1.0 whereas the Taiwanese one that just started is on 1.2. They've promised a later version for release, but I guess the next beta weekend will show how close they are to actually delivering that promise.

I've never played Lotro, but a glance over some wiki's makes me think what you're talking about is more like something out of FFXI which is nothing like the Aion system. Feel free to link me to a decent description of the Lotro system and I'll get back to you on that.

I didn't play every class in LOTR:O but "'chain skills' that can only be cast after you use a specific skill before it with multiple chain variations becoming available later on" sums it up fairly nicely.

Most classes have a couple of skills that have 2nd lv skills that open as options and some a third.

The Warden class specializes in "gambits" which are special att/defences that require multipe button combinations before they go off.

If anyone happens to have/know where to get beta keys for the open beta this coming weekend, can you please let me know?

Ihsan is, as you'd expect, being completely useless after virtually forcing me to download the 6+GB client ; )

Hi,

Yea i played the Closed Beta #3 and will be playing again this weekend I don tknow if it interests anyone still but i will paste an impressions post i made on my old wow guilds forums about how i felt about Aion online form the beta. Please excuse typos and such.

Levelling: Not so much a grind as you might expect the quests are story driven for the most part and are broken down in your quest log into 2 category's Campaign quests and Standard quests.

Campaign quests are story's that follow you specificity and in some cases are compulsory to progress in the game as the rewards for these quests are on occasion class skills, stigmas (talk about later) or the ability to fly.

Standard quests are the type of quests you would expect to find in wow levelling up, "some dudes are fucking up our farm go kill 5 of them and bring me some loot".

The level cap is 50 for the final release of the game, the beta allows for up to lvl 20, there is a mix of Campaign, Standard and Group quests from 1-20 and for the most part the trip is smooth. I hit 20 in probably 20 or less hours played if you were to weed out the hours i spend in the main city setting up a guild watching pvp using AH (Consignment) and back tracking to help Armd , Stretch etc. The only possible criticism i could draw would be in some cases the questing is a little thin leaving you with quests that are a touch above your lvl on occasion but nothing too serious.

Control and movement:

Past level 10 the game features flying and ground movement the ground movement is just like any mmo you can run / walk to your quests the flying is where it gets interesting there are 2 types of flying Gliding and free flight, each zone features multiple areas where free flying is possible flying is limited by time which is based on your level and also gear you can get potions that restore flight time the time limit ranges form 1minute to 15minutes ofuninterrupted flying at end game. Gliding is for the areas of the game where you cant free fly and involves you spreading your wings and gliding somewhat close to the ground controlling your elevation to maintain enough speed to stay airborne depending on the terrain it can be a challenge to stay airborne.

During combat there is also some dynamic to movement while in combat strafing you gain an evasion bonus, moving backwards there is a Defence bonus at the cost of a damage nerf, moving forwards there is a damage bonus at the cost of defensive nerf. This sort of system makes you think about what your doing while you are fighting in pvp you aren't going to run straight at a ranger nerfing your defence while he blows your head off instead you can strafe towards him etc.

Combat System:

The games engine is strong and the combat system is well done, similar to wow its a target based combat system with ability icons that activate your attacks however Aion goes 1 step further then wow with the combo chain skills.

Combo chain skills is a combat dynamic that allows you to use particular skills after you have used another skill, skills are broken down into category Chain 1, chain 2, chain 3.....

Using a particular Chain 1 skill will unlock the use for a few seconds to use a chain 2 skill often multiple chain 2 skills. For instance my Gladiator at lvl 20 has a combo chain which strikes for good damage then gives me the option of chaining to a defensive shield OR to another damaging attack which chains again to a knock down. This is just one chain of many that the gladiator gets and this one in particular branches out again you can forgo the knock down for another 2 damage attack for a pve dps chain.

Each attack for every character has a unique animation they are elaborate and detailed compared to wows 2 attacks per race and 1 special attack. There are times when you are playing Aion thinking these attack animations look like they have been pulled out of a console game like Devil may cry or something.

The mobs respond to being hit and all have unique animations for being knocked down and stunned, each attack has unique sounds, the combat gives great feed back in the sense that you feel like you are hitting something.

Zones and Environment:

The Game is set in a Fantasy world which is colourful not unlike FF but not that extreme. You can defiantly feel the Asian style of fantasy unlike wows more western approach but in a sense it makes for a slightly more mature atmosphere. The Zones are detailed and well laid out maybe a little less open then wows approach but this leads you to have to fight your way too something rather then wow where you tend to run around everything to the 1 guy you need to kill then leave. The mobs in aion are a little less conventional then that you are used to in wow you will see fewer humanoid mobs and more strange animal like creatures on your way to 25, once 25 however questing in one of the 3 giant pvp zones called the Abyss becomes possible where you will see many of the opposing faction + a dragon race which questing against and killing provides you with bonus exp and Abyss points.

PvP: Anything I post about pvp would be speculation based on what i have read because the beta doesn't allow for pvp at this point. What I will say though is that it is focused at end game towards group combat similar to past RvR games but with a twist of PvE involved. There is a massive zone called the Abyss where there are Forts which your guild (Legion) can control and capture then use this fort, within each fort are pve dungeons that reward end game loot and abyss points (similar to wow honour).

You can acquire abyss points through direct pvp or pve in the abyss zones.

Performance:

The game is built off a modified version of the original Cry Engine, which featured good graphics for great performance, in the beta between Stretch, Armd and myself we had no crashes, disconnects or performance issues. I was running the game on close to max settings with 1920x1200 resolution on a pretty mid range pc now a days.

So far though the game is hard to fault, its also bug free and feels more polished then the final release of recent mmos AoC and WAR.

I still haven't touched on the economy / professions or any of the instances / world bosses.

I will provide more information as i play more betas and read up more about the game.

I apologise for making another post about Aion I felt that the last post it went off the rails somewhat.

Try keep this post for questions or further feed back on the game i know Armd and Magikz wanted to post some stuff.

Wall of text crits you for 3k.

*Edit*

http://www.aionsource.com/

Also if you want to hook up with us we will be in closed beta #4

playing

Server: Israphel

Race: Asmodian

Player names: Bundy, Bundywow, Paii, Armd, Stretch.

................................................................................

(From the beta boards - schedule)

Fourth Closed Beta

* Friday, July 17, 2009 - Noon PT, Monday, July 20, 2009

* Asmodians and Elyos, levels 1-25, and a first taste of the Abyss!

Apparently it's a WoWkiller?

Not a chance. The WoW generation are going to hate it.

You don't get given epics for logging in for an hour a day. Hell, there's no raiding instances in the game and the world bosses aren't going to go to whoever 'taps' a mob. You do the most damage, you get the loot. I can't wait to find a raid with a mob to 10% health, killing them then taking the spoils. Not that the spoils will be that awesome, most of the best gear comes from PvP or crafting (procs) and it's pretty much all BoE for that reason. Farming the mats will be another thing though when you're in the abyss and everyone wants to kill you and take your Abyss Points (ie WoW's CP) off you. There's no farming scenarios for AP either, you actually need to go out and look for other people and take a little more risk then just sitting afk in a spawn point till you find a team you can beat.

Leveling isn't something that's do in a few hours. You need to actually read quests and you can't get powerleveled by someone higher. Trying to solo your way to 50 is going to make them cry. You actually need to group to do some of the best exp quests. Shocking isn't it? Actually having to group to do quests in an MMO... Soloing elites? There's buckleys chance of that and even if you have a class that might be able to pull it off you'll need a single pull and a lot of spare time. Hell, pulling two or more normal mobs at once is usually death for a soloer.

PvP actually requires a little co-ordination and skill. You can't just roll your face on a keyboard with the latest FotM class and expect to win. Expect 5-10 minute fights against someone competent, there's very little chance of killing someone in 1-2 hits. Even then the chances of getting a 1% proc on a godstone while blowing a one hour cooldown 4k DP skill are... well, 1% but I'm sure someone will turn around and spend the time to make a video of nothing but these things and the tears on the forums will flow. Although crying to NCSoft for buffs for their class won't help. NCSoft aren't listening unless you're playing the Korean version (God the tears when they realize this are going to be worth it).

It's not going to be the WoW killer, but it's going to be fun for all those of us that wish to return to the days of old when an MMO simply didn't reward you for logging in and being incompetent. The WoW generation will come, cry it's too hard or grindy and then return to their precious stale WoW where they grind out the same instances week in week out, roll pugs in scenarios and think that their abomination called the arena is actually PvP.

I love you lhsan, I cant wait for this game now...

Just remember that when I set up a shop on your face :P

I find wow killer interesting people talk as if there isnt room for more then 1 mmo, when infact there are millions of people who play other online games WoW wouldnt even make up 1/4 of the mmo community, They have a very large slice of the pie sure but ther eis plenty of room for mmo's to run along side eachother.

I would be worried if i was AoC or WAR because they stand a chance of loosing more players because of flaws in their games being RvR also people may try Aion if thats what drew them to thoes games int he first place.

I love you lhsan, I cant wait for this game now...

Just remember that when I set up a shop on your face :P

Good luck. I may choose to completely avoid you, somehow. :P

Edited by nukejockey

Isn't it funny how AoC, WAR and a slew of other MMO's are having free return for a week offers just before the September launch of a slew of MMO's?

AoC was an abortion. It should of never seen the light of day. The only remotely good thing I can say about that game was that Tortage was a great single player game.

Ok, you've got me, two things. It had a bewb slider.

You've only got to look at Mark Jacobs recent departure from Mythic (I'll leave the conspiracy theories of why to you) and the 'merger' of Mythic and Bioware to know EA has basically given up on WAR. It wasn't the license to print money they wanted so they're going to move all the staff to Bioware and have them put out the biggest solo carebear game they can to try and take on WoW that they can (and it will probably work).

Mythic however have no one to blame but themselves. The people said they wanted 'DAoC2' and nothing resembling WoW. Mythic gave them a woefully optimized version of the DAoC engine that should of never seen the light of day. People getting less then 10fps on top of the line computers should of been their first clue that something was wrong. although to be fair they probably knew this but just had EA breathing down their necks to release the game. Their next problem was they caved to the WoW generation. Having a path of least resistance to PvP gear that involves avoiding PvP at all costs is something so stupid I fail to see how anyone could come up with it. People just lumped together into zergs and ran from objective to objective, zone to zone. Any time they came across more then two people from the opposing faction they threw themselves off a cliff to their own death and swapped zones faster then you could say 'AoE'.

There is definitely room in the MMO market for more then one game, one game alone having more then eleven million subscribers proves that. Although that being said, that game has just lost over half of those subscribers while it's regional servers are down due to legal proceedings and it does make you wonder how many of the remaining five million subscribers are actually players and not gold farmers...

I was reading that even though WoW has half is player base or close to it in China that the Asian wow generates less money because of the payment structure. Ill try find the link to where i read it.

I was reading that even though WoW has half is player base or close to it in China that the Asian wow generates less money because of the payment structure. Ill try find the link to where i read it.

Wouldn't surprise me. They've no incentive to ban accounts there to make people go out and buy new copies of the game like they can in the western market. Typically they they tend to give the game away for free and then you pay by the hour.

hehe Ihsan I saw someone with a shop saying "Taking a beak for my personal health" last night, there are afew "Cheaper than that guy ====>" shops around too 8^P.

Sadly I've been away most the weekend and only got to play for afew hours last night, But managed to get my lvl8 scout to lvl11 ranger in that time. I love the game ATM but i'm kinda bias since this game has alot of gameplay elements which i've been wishing for in an MMO for AGES ^_^. Its great to see a real Archer class back in an MMO (I really don't like pet classes, unless you have direct control of their skills), there is also no min bow range 0_o I can still pew pew while being eaten alive.

I didn't realise it was the "most damage done gets loot" system untill I accidently ended up KS'n a mob off someone. Hoping to try my hand at crafting a little later tonight if they servers are still up.