Milano

How's your cable management?

go shrink wrap n zip ties looks better having 1 black cable rather than a million colours ziped together

I'm gonna grab some cable ties before the end of the week and try to clean mine out. I've never really attempted cable management before; someone mentioned plugging cables in in the right order? What order specifically, PSU cables first? Any other tips would be appreciated

I'm going to remove everything & start installing cables in an order where the more fiddly connectors (the ones that are harder to reach) are plugged in first while the easier ones are left to later. I've got a CD-RW drive to get rid of 1 or 2 modular cables that won't be needed, so that should make things easier.

Also, as blesphemous as it sounds, i'm trying to avoid using cable ties. I'm going to see how a combination of plastic spiral wrap & velcro ties go, as the removal of these things is easier & less risky than using cutters deep inside your case to get rid of tiny cable ties.

Its all about having a plan in your mind as to where the cables need to go and have a few base parts in the system just to help the visualizing.

That's looking good c0nc0n, few things to consider:

-Buy a longer sata cable for the optical driver, then route the power and data cables around the back. See the holes in the 5 1/4" bay, well run the cable through into the bay and run the cables under the drive to the connectors.

-Turn the fan on the true around so the cable is close to the mobo, cable tie it just long enough to reach the header.

cheers

Well, this is the best I could do with the length of cables I have & the case i've got to work with;

Before..

Posted Image

After..

Posted Image

I'm happy with the spiral-wrap - neatened up the visible cables nicely, & taking out a CD-RW drive created some extra cable storage area, which freed up the space above the RAM sticks.

once i get a 4870X2 to chuck in.. ill find some way of taking pics and post some. its looks sweet now tho in the antec twelve hundred

I have the CM690 case, and I must say it's a great case for cable management. and no I'm not as anal as M0zes. but I did a pretty decent job myself, until I had to run 2 wires for my GTX2360, but I'm not complaining. the thing is great.

Here's some of my Cables from the back.

Posted Image

This is with the Old Fans, and old GFX card.

Posted Image

Here's the latest with new GFX card, Re-seat of the Tuniq, and my window Mod. The wires have also been cleaned up a little bit.

Posted Image

That really is a nice case for hiding cables, xguntherc. Makes cable clutter redundant & all old-style cases (like mine) so dated. Did all your stock cables for your gear reach their connection points, or did you have to buy extensions for anything?

How many fans did that case come with btw?

Looks like all stock cables milano, the cm690's a compact case with an excellent layout so cable lengths should be fine for most good quality hardware - only possible exception is some 3 pin extenders if using a fan controller or 8/4pin addapter for psu's with particularly short cables. Nice work there gunther i was actually wondering how long it would take you to post your rig given i knew the cabling was great. It's good to see someone putting the stock functionality of their case to good use instead of just running things around with out any thought, there's some room there for improvement but hey i'm anal. How's the distance between the mobo tray and rear panel? It may be worth seperating that large bunch into 2-3 smaller bunches if your finding they are tight up against the rear panel.

cheers

It's about ~12cm deeper & ~6cm higher than my current case (Antec 660AMG). I thought it looked much bigger. Pretty good then if stock cables are good enough. I'm sure this isn't the first case to contain one, but the cavity wall really is genius. It's kind of making it hard to resist getting one.....though, I did just buy a Noctua NF-R8 which'll go to waste if I do decide to change my case now, even though there's a spot behind the mobo to install an 80cm fan, I won't have enough mobo headers after I hook up the CPU, Front intake & Rear exhaust 120mm fans (which I think would be enough for that case anyway)...

The extra depth is a welcome addition, i used to own the 1080amg not a bad case but it was lacking in many respects. Any how you'll find the 660amg and 690 are actually around the same height internally as alot of the extra height comes from the large plastic top on the case and the feet also look to be larger than those found on the antec. The layout of the 690 is considerably better than the 660 though, if you have a look at how everything is placed you can see that the majority of required connection locations are all very close ie 24pin/pcie/hdd's. The cavity wall is old school, my old lian-li purchased back in 2002 had ample room behind the motherboard tray for cable routing, some cases are more generous than others. I hear that coolermasters up coming sniper case is meant to have very generous clearance, but the clearance is only useful if you can get the cables back around to the other side with well positioned holes in the motherboard tray. In that respect it's taken manufacturers along time to include these in their design, some are good others still lacking. Now i'm waiting for a case that has included water cooling tube routing built in, lets see who does it first.

By the way don't worry about the motherboard headers, just get your self a fan controller, doesn't need to be anything fancy just enough to get the job done.

cheers

In case you guys didn't see it in my thread.

Posted Image

I've made a few adjustments, but nothing major enough for me to take another photo. I will in a few days when I consider to do some vinyl or window +vinyl mod which will allow me to use my cathodes.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. I'm capped at the moment =(

Once the pic's been downloaded once, your browser shouldn't DL it again.

How's my cable management? Pretty damn good, I reckon.

Posted Image

I like a sexy box, very nice!Posted Image

Posted Image

xguntherc thats some great cable management, I thought mine was good , now...not so much

I did this for a mate about 2 1/2years now. I am really proud of this one as it is some of my best work. My current Antec 900 is only OK. Will post pics when I get around to taking some.

Posted Image

Well since I am getting so much help with my PC I thought you guys might want to see mine. I am ashamed.

Posted Image

Yes the CM690 is a great case for cables.. I didn't need any extenders or anything like that. As M0zes said it's very well designed to have no problems in that area.. The tightest one was the Power to Motherboard going from bottom behind the Mobo tray and around top and in. but It's still got about 3 inches or so left.

It's a very nice case. and even better cuz it's cheap.. It came with 3 fans. With 2 of them installed. but it has room for 6 fans.. 3 with filters.. and then you can mod it you'd like. It's also got feet so the bottom mounted fan is a intake fan, I got a strong 120mm x38mm for that one.

Also m0zes. your right about the back. It's very hard to get the back panel on. it's a little tight. but when installing I wasn't paying enough attention and once I got everything plugged in. that back big clutter had a wire wrapped around it all.. thats whats makin it hard to close. but that was a very very hard wire to plug in with the Tuniq installe.d The Power cable I was talking about. Was a tight fit. it's in the top left corner with the tuniq and exhaust fan in the way. No fun.

I've been thinkin about re -doing it. and I'm probably going to remove my Mobo Wednesday and reseat the Tuniq once again and If so I'll redo those wires into 3 little piles as you've said. Changing the Tuniq sideways for air to exit the two top 120mm fans was NO good. temps raised 3-4c vs it vertical blowing out the single rear fan. Not sure why. Might be cuz it affected airflow.

Thanks for the compliments there m0zes. I know your a perfectionist and getting the OK from you is probably hard. lol.

Nice seeing you around. It's been awhile. Thanks again for all your's and Nes help on building my machine. I enjoy it thoroughly now.

If I reseat and work in cables I'll be sure to post again.

edit* sorry for the Wall of txt, I'm famous for my novels. sorry. lol!

They must be pretty high feet because having an intake fan on the bottom would seem pointless otherwise, as it wouldn't be able to grab much air.

Also, since the mobo tray isn't removable, are you still able to install a bracket under the mobo for an aftermarket CPU HSF without needing to remove the mobo?

It is an old picture, but except for the addition of 1 more sata cable it hasn't changed in 2+ years

Posted Image

mozes thats awsome shows what ya can do with a modulae psu not like this mess. still need some work but its gettin there.

Posted Image

mozes thats awsome shows what ya can do with a modulae psu not like this mess. still need some work but its gettin there.

Posted Image

ooo.. its green