Sign in to follow this  
robzy

My issue with web design today

Atomic v2.6 wasn't too different. The actual content of a thread itself started more than 50% the way down the page. (On 1280x1024)

Rob.

It's actually harder than it looks =P

The Tmes looks like it's trying to manage the content itself, related content in a similar area, AND its ad space - all of which is important! The layout looks to be ~980px wide too, so it's not like they've tried to squish everything into a small sized site. I guess they could make the adds a tad smaller, and extend the content that way - but then the ads wouldn't look as good and that would possibly mean less ad revenue.

So yeah, the content's extremely important - but so is turning a profit for the business.

Just taking away the related content would make me happy, but it down the bottom so when people get to the end of the article they can go on and read more articles :P

Rob.

It's getting better as developers and, more importantly, marketing and commerce heads learn that more does not always equal more, especially now that there is a larger variety in viewing devices (phones etc).

A lot of the news sites are like this, which makes them harder to read than the dead tree editions.

A layout where the ads are above and below the article would work far better. That way the text and ads can expand in width to properly fill the screen.

There is a suspect reason for the ads down the right hand side, its so people can accidentally click them when trying to use the scroll bar.

Uh no, the ads are on the side so that ad content is visible no matter _where_ the user is.

http://www.thepunch.com.au/ has a nice layout for a news and current affairs based site, but it's probably designed with a different focus to The Times website (which seems to be much more focused on making money via the advertising).

Yeah, they could have done it a little better, but it's not hard to figure out why they've laid stuff out they way they have.

So sites that need more money have more ads? Wow.

It's hardly indicative of web design today in general.

Ads are not my problem.

On the "front page" 6% are ads, 12% are links to related stories, and 18% is content. The other 63% is largely wasted.

There are a few sites out there that have 12% linsk to related stories, >6% ads, and make more productive use of the remaining majority-of-area in finding a way to maximise the amount given to content.

(That particular link on Linux Magazine, though, got better as you scrolled down)

Rob.

Where are you getting your %'s from?

On my screen, a 15" laptop, there are baners on either side, about 12.5%, then the content is about %25, with ads for the site or something else being two columns of %25 each. When you scroll down the content becomes %50, with only one ad column.

Where are you getting your %'s from?

Firefox on a 1280x1024 screen.

I threw initial opening of the webpage into Photoshop, worked out the total pixels, the pixels dedicated to ads, the pixels dedicates to other content, and pixels dedicated to content.

As I said though, it thankfully gets better as you scroll down. With ~50% of area being dedicated to content.

Rob.

It's not as bad as you said it was initially, and is no no way a problem with web design today. Do you remeber around 10 years ago on the web? Things are generally far, far better today. Generally.

Edited by TheSecret

Do you remeber around 10 years ago on the web? Things are generally far, far better today. Generally.

Mate, I never said anything about the past being better or worse than now :P I was simply stating my issue with web design... today.

The Linux Magazine site isn't too bad, because at least once you scroll down the content takes up majority of the screen, but with the link in the OP the content continues being a minority feature. It annoys me. It is, in other words, my issue with web design today :P

Rob.

Yes, and the web sites you provide examples of are very very much a minority. Your issue with "web design today" has no foundation.

Yes, and the web sites you provide examples of are very very much a minority. Your issue with "web design today" has no foundation.

**My issue with some of the web design today

Rob.