bmandrews

Wireless N/Gigabit Network

I currently have a Desktop PC, a notebook, a media center PC, a Wii and a PS3. Currently I connect the Desktop Via Ethernet (10/100) and the remaining via a wireless G network. I am considering upgrading to a Wireless N network as I do a lot of media streaming between these systems. I would like to have the fastest speeds possible as the network currently isn't keeping up with the demand I am placing on it. I am talking particularly about intranet not internet access as I am only on ADSL1 (ADSL 2 not supported by my carrier in my area but thats another story). I would like Gigabit ports on the next modem/router and preferably dual band N. However the problems I am facing are is the fact that the PS3 and Wii are both b/g only going to cause a wireless N setup to give a poorer performance when streaming video from my media center to my desktop for instance. also I am finding it hard to find a modem/router that has both gigabit ports and dual band N. Am I being unreasonable in my expectations. As I live in a rented apartment I am unable to hide network cables if I was to run them thro the place so prefer not to do that. What are peoples thoughts, suggestions etc. Price isn't a huge factor tho would like to keep it reasonable so long as it works (im expecting between $400 and $600 including adapters if needed).

I looked at dual band a while ago and there didn't appear to be a high performance unit that had all the features I wanted(though I was just looking at routers, not modem/routers).

An option you may want to consider is a separate gigabit switch. This means you don't have to worry about gigabit ports on your router. There is a new netgear unit coming out you may want to have a look at. No reviews yet, but worth keeping an eye on...

There is one other issue I forgot last night. As The Wii and PS3, and Ipod Touch all only work with the G standard, will this cause an issue to the performance of devices running N when I upgrade. Would my best move be to get a gigabit switch and add both a G access Point for my G only devices and then another N access point for those which can use it? or is there a way with the dual band N routers to make one band G only and the other N only. Failing all this I am thinking I might have to move the modem/router into the lounge room, use the gigabit switch for the PS3, and media center and add a wireless card to my desktop. Only hassle there is I often have other peoples computers on my desk to fix for them and would like to have a wired connection there as well. any thoughts.

You could always keep the current unit, and have two SSID's, one B/G speed and one N

Just will need to be a bit clever with your networking and channel selection.

Nah, G devices slow down networks for sure, but N devices on a shared G\N network are usually still faster than plain old G. When you decide on a device, google reviews. every site does 'mixed mode' reviews.

your other option is using these:

http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.php?art_no=neNCnp285

http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.php?art_no=neDLdhp_301

you really only need the first one IMO, its more than fast enough, and in an 'apartment' you're unlikely to have issues using things like that. You'll be on a seperate circuit from the other apartments, and it'll be small and directly wired. Thats if its anything like every other apartment.

Otherwise look at SuperG devices from Dlink, i hear they suffer less from mixed mode performance loss, but really, what you describe (multiple users) you're looking at MIMO not DraftN, bandwith isnt directly the issue here, its about the fact the router can only do one or 2 things at once and you're trying to do 4 so it has to wait.

Yeah ive had a bit of a look into POE as an option however I believe it works best on the same circuit, I have a number of circuits in my apartment. I may be misunderstanding circuits etc but im assuming that due to my apartment being broken down primarily into 2 parts on seperate circuits with safety switch for each. As for MIMO - yes I am after this I thought that dual band routers were this, am I wrong and this is 2 different technologies?

All your power points should be on the same circuit unless you have a several power meters supplying the sockets. When people refer to different circuits they really mean beyond the meters, not to different fuses/circuit breakers.

So EOP does not work between say a house and a shed with different power meters, but should work fine between differently fused power points in the house or unit.

Ok so with the thoughts posted on here, and talking to people I know I am thinking of changing tact. Basically my office is about 10 - 15 meters away from my lounge room. I primarily have one computer in the office, however am looking at adding a 2nd, along with any computers I fix up for people. My PS3 and Media Center are in the Lounge. I Currently have a billion 7300G Modem/Router. If I was to place this in my lounge and connect both the PS3 and Media center to this, then add a Cisco SD2005 5 Port Gigabit Switch in the office this would give sufficient ports for further expansion. I am aware that the switch wont run at full speed as the modem/router is 10/100 but I will be looking to replace this when I can make my mind up on a replacement model in a month or 2. My understanding of networking is limited to basic stuff, but this to should work rather well. My understanding with the switch is that it wont matter if I am running a patch or crossover cable to my office, is that correct. Has anyone got any potential problems they can foresee with the setup I am suggesting. If this works I am considering replacing the Billion 7300G with a similar (probably billion) Wireless N product that has a 4 port gigabit switch and potentially adding a Wireless G access port for the Nintendo Wii as it only supports WEP encryption and from what I am seeing this has been ditched in the Wireless N product line up. If anyone has any thoughts it would be very much appreciated.

Mild bump. I just stumbled across this post on whingepool which goes into a bit of detail on the impact of shared 802.11g & n networks - allegedly the impact is not significant unless there are high levels of simultaneous transfers using both protocols.

Your proposed network setup sounds fine also.

If I was to place this in my lounge and connect both the PS3 and Media center to this, then add a Cisco SD2005 5 Port Gigabit Switch in the office this would give sufficient ports for further expansion. I am aware that the switch wont run at full speed as the modem/router is 10/100 but I will be looking to replace this when I can make my mind up on a replacement model in a month or 2.

Actually it will run at gigabit speeds if you are transferring files between two devices with gigabit ports, both hooked direct to the SD2005 switch. If one device is on the switch and the other hooked to the modem then yes the modems 10/100 ports will limit the speed to 10/100.

If both devices are on the gigabit switch but one device only has a 10/100 network port speeds between the two devices will be 10/100.

potentially adding a Wireless G access port for the Nintendo Wii as it only supports WEP encryption

Gah that's shit any wireless device with only WEP encryption may as well be wide open as far as drivebys go.

They can crack it in seconds.

If you really want to use the Wii to the network I would be disabling the wireless with WEP when not in use.