Sign in to follow this  
RenascentMisanthropy

Worth getting an SSD to speed up my laptop?

Alrighty folks, I'm considering the possibility of swapping the HDD in my laptop for an SSD one, in the hope that it will speed it up a bit and do me for another couple of years. I'm not really that clued up on them, but I know I want one that doesn't stutter. I'd be looking at either a 60 or 64GB one preferably under $400.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1501 with an AMD Turion X2 1.6ghz, 2GB of 667 (max) and currently a 120GB Sata.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy

You want one that doesn't stutter for under $400?

TBH, I haven't seen any that fulfill that specification.

If you have a cheap 120GB SATA now, you'll probably notice considerably improvement with a 7200 rpm standard drive. Nowhere near a SSD, but definitely no stutter at the price point you are looking for.

I'd opt for a new laptop.

Faster CPU and drive with SATA2 would do you just as good as an SSD (per Tinny's comments).

Get a new laptop ... the Turion isn't cutting edge mobile CPU tech and 2GB RAM is limiting.

Cheapest 60G SSD worth getting is the OCZ Vertex, which, lucky for you has just dropped to around $350

There will be a slightly cheaper version (same controller, cheaper flash) called the OCZ Agility. Not sure how long till that one is available though.

SSDs are fast and chew low power so you can be rolling for say like 30 minutes longer... or less depending on hardware + monitor...

They are quite expensive and i wouldn't bother.

The Inspiron 1501 was the cheapy of the Dell fleet when it was new.

Now... jesus christ.

The SSD doesn't have to stay in the old laptop. I would make a huge difference, and it can move to a new laptop when/if you can afford a new one.

I would wait a little longer however. SSDs are falling in price, and most of the 1st/2nd gen issues are being dealt with. I think post-Win7 (post-trim cmd) ie. end of this year. Will be the time for it. I think we will have good 120G SSDs for <$400 by this Christmas.