Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Friml

iphone OS 3.0

You still can't buy em in the US direct I see. You are bound to AT&T.

I'd say it'd be the exclusivity agreement over there, whereas the iPhones are available on all our networks.

That's fine though

Apple now sell the iPhone 3G 8GB & 3GS 16 and 32GB unlocked direct from their online store

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop...one?mco=MTE2OTU

Don't the ones from Apple lock to the network of the SIM they are activated with?

The ones from Vodafone can be unlocked for $75.

That would be interesting.

Seeing that you have bought the phone outright. I understand phones being locked on the carrier if you get it on a plan, but if you buy it out right, it shouldn't lock to any carrier.

But that being said, i don't know if it does or not

That's fine though

Apple now sell the iPhone 3G 8GB & 3GS 16 and 32GB unlocked direct from their online store

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop...one?mco=MTE2OTU

Don't the ones from Apple lock to the network of the SIM they are activated with?

The ones from Vodafone can be unlocked for $75.

As far as I know, these ones are completely unlocked, any sim can be used and it won't lock to that network.

Although, if you bought one, you would most likely already be on an iPhone plan or something with high data plan otherwise it wouldn't really be worth getting one.

So i would imagine that this is for all the people on a contract who want the new iPhone!

Although, if you bought one, you would most likely already be on an iPhone plan or something with high data plan otherwise it wouldn't really be worth getting one.

So i would imagine that this is for all the people on a contract who want the new iPhone!

Or people who want the phone on prepaid, or just existing caps.

I can't even remember what my cap was when i chucked my contracted sim into my ebay special 2G iphone, i think it was something like 200Mb and that did me fine.

I bought my 3GS from the apple store in Sydney yesterday. Was cheaper to get it from there than to sign up for a new contract with my current provider. In fact I'm posting from it right now!

Willkshake,

worthwile getting the new updates GS one? how much quicker is it in RL?

cheers

Willkshake,

cheers

Well I'm not too sure on the comparative speed increase since this is my first iPhone. I'm enjoying I thus far but annoyed about the lack of options for the alert mesages. (Ignoring jailbreak options for the moment)

Willkshake,

Yes, the speed increase is very noticeable. The network speed is what surprised me most, not having to wait for email and web pages etc. Loading games too is awesome. Oh, and the camera too! No lag with video recording. And 32GB makes me wet.

It's a shame the current contracts a bullocks. I won't be updating my contract anytime soon (I hope you're listen Optus -.-).

Don't waste your time jailbreaking it, unless you want to deal with poorly hacked together apps and an unstable phone.

Edited by AIMBOT

Don't waste your time jailbreaking it, unless you want to deal with poorly hacked together apps and an unstable phone.

Bah. I've had a "few" iPhones and all of them have worked better with 3rd party apps, bar none.

People won't jailbreak because they are scared of breaking their "Jesus Phone"

How is it fun if you follow the rules?

But the only reason I have at the moment to JB the phone is for the SMS tone. Not really fussed about changing the background image/colour or the number of icons on the dock.

Bah. I've had a "few" iPhones and all of them have worked better with 3rd party apps, bar none.

People won't jailbreak because they are scared of breaking their "Jesus Phone"

How is it fun if you follow the rules?

It's nigh on impossible to screw it up with a jailbreak these days though, the baseband isn't even modified with the unlock on the 3G and 3GS

Mail, sms, missed call notifications on the lock screen are a nice addition.

SBSettings is another good one too, toggle Wifi, Bluetooth and 3G etc just by swiping the status bar.

The camera on the 3GS is brilliant, check out this photo I took with it. unedited.

Posted Image

The camera on the 3GS is brilliant, check out this photo I took with it. unedited.

I hate you and your sexy bike -.-

Mail, sms, missed call notifications on the lock screen are a nice addition.

As is Backgrounder.

IMO.

I hate you and your sexy bike -.-

Only 3 Weeks until i can ride it again!

Running jailbroken 3.0. Had some initial issues with Cydia, but then they released an update and it's all good now.

Cringing at the cost of the 3GS. Gonna go see Virgin and find out how much it will set me back to upgrade my contract.

Running jailbroken 3.0. Had some initial issues with Cydia, but then they released an update and it's all good now.

Cringing at the cost of the 3GS. Gonna go see Virgin and find out how much it will set me back to upgrade my contract.

When you find out, let me know!

When you find out, let me know!

Why? His upgrade cost will be different to your. The cancellation fee of your current contract is usually 1/2 monthly cost X months remaining, and then sign you up to a new contract. Right now Optus are offering 30% off the cancellation fee if you upgrade to the new iPhone.