Sign in to follow this  
danin316

Why cant i get my avatar to display

But the search isn't.

O RLY? Try doing a search on 'avatar wont display' and see what happens.

More help, less one-upping of n00bs, kthxbai.

But the search isn't.

Be lazy and just search for "avatar" like most and you'll find everything you need :P

Be lazy and just search for "avatar" like most and you'll find everything you need :P

LOL. Laziness. Now why didn't I think of that? :D

But the search isn't.

Or search on avatar and there is a few threads with the same problem and the same solution.

The atomic hosting thingy is brokened.

not really, but a lot of people think so...

Or search on avatar and there is a few threads with the same problem and the same solution.

Of course, putting this frequent question in the FAQ, or maybe even stickying a post in the Feedback forum, where the question keeps getting asked, or changing the upload instructions in the user control panel, would be too much trouble.

Instead, Atomic expects new users to discover that uploading an avatar isn't working the way the control panel still says it should, realise that the problem they're experiencing isn't actually unique, and then be able to search with the right words - which arent anything intuitive like 'avatar wont display' - to find threads where this has been previously asked and answered(!)

And there's a 17 page thread about whether Heroes are setting the kind of welcoming tone you're aspiring too...?

Edited by just_some_guy

Of course, putting this frequent question in the FAQ, or maybe even stickying a post in the Feedback forum, where the question keeps getting asked, or changing the upload instructions in the user control panel, would be too much trouble.

Yes it would. That's the devs job, and they take forever to do anything.

Instead, Atomic expects new users to discover that uploading an avatar isn't working the way the control panel still says it should, realise that the problem they're experiencing isn't actually unique, and then be able to search with the right words - which arent anything intuitive like 'avatar wont display' - to find threads where this has been previously asked and answered(!)

It's expected to search before asking on an online forum. I tried 'avatar problem', 'avatar issue', 'can't upload avatar' and 'avatar' and they all had related results. I don't think it's unfair to expect a user to search, nor is it unfair for a moderator to point this option out. Considering the solution was posted before that of a moderator, it was a fair call.

And there's a 17 page thread about whether Heroes are setting the kind of welcoming tone you're aspiring too...?

I don't believe the act of 'moderating' was being questioned in that thread, because that's what you're effectively arguing against.

Sure it may have come across as harsh, but it's the duty of a moderator to guide users.

1. "The devs take too long to add a few words to the FAQ, or change some words in the forum instructions" is simply not a good enough excuse from a commercial organisation trading clicks on its website. Just re-direct a few of the minutes the mods and staff invest telling new users they're idiots, and the job could be done with less angst for all and fewer disgruntled potential new customers.

2. Who would think that the instructions in the forum for a mainstream tech magazine would be actually wrong...? It's such a counterintuitive thing that I spent an hour of my personal time repeatedly trying to do what your forum code told me I should do, before eventually concluding that there must be some unique problem with my browser, and giving up for a month. And then, when I searched, I got zero results. Is it 'unfair' to expect a moderator to point this out? Or is it 'unfair' to expect a new user to your forum make the several leaps of logic to get to this point?

3. 'Sure, it may come across as harsh'?! Yes. And rude. And dismissive. And entirely hipocritical given the moderators are now (rightly) threatening heroes if they don't behave nicely to n00bs.

Yes, it's the duty of moderators and staff to guide users. Not belittle them or their suggestions, and make them feel unwelcome.

But the search isn't.

Is it more helpful to suggest that searching instead for "avatar won't display" does bring up a result?

Pesky punctuation, pilfering peoples presumptions : (

1. "The devs take too long to add a few words to the FAQ, or change some words in the forum instructions" is simply not a good enough excuse from a commercial organisation trading clicks on its website. Just re-direct a few of the minutes the mods and staff invest telling new users they're idiots, and the job could be done with less angst for all and fewer disgruntled potential new customers.

And now we're calling people idiots? Please. I think you'll find any reason to complain. To correct your assumption, we cannot modify the forum. Only the devs can. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!

2. Who would think that the instructions in the forum for a mainstream tech magazine would be actually wrong...? It's such a counterintuitive thing that I spent an hour of my personal time repeatedly trying to do what your forum code told me I should do, before eventually concluding that there must be some unique problem with my browser, and giving up for a month. And then, when I searched, I got zero results. Is it 'unfair' to expect a moderator to point this out? Or is it 'unfair' to expect a new user to your forum make the several leaps of logic to get to this point?

It's a 3rd party forum, the issue is their fault. Regardless, we have no problem with people asking for assistance. This doesn't mean we won't remind people of the search function.

3. 'Sure, it may come across as harsh'?! Yes. And rude. And dismissive. And entirely hipocritical given the moderators are now (rightly) threatening heroes if they don't behave nicely to n00bs.

Yes, it's the duty of moderators and staff to guide users. Not belittle them or their suggestions, and make them feel unwelcome.

Sorry if it came across as bad as you claim it did. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I still don't see how this is in any way related to that Hero announcement, but I know this'll turn into an infinite loop of playing on technicalities if I argue.

If you have issues, feel free to report them, or PM a moderator. We can then come to a conclusion without polluting threads.

The atomic hosting thingy is brokened.

not really, but a lot of people think so...

Anything which does not work reliably is broken. Nobody can count on the Atomic image hosting to work all the time, therefore, the Atomic image hosting is broken.

Please feel free to suggest a method whereby the site's own hosting will work, all the time, for everyone. Prove me wrong.

This thread is going nowhere. Locked.

>.>

<.<

It seems my powers are broken temporarily. I'll be back.

its a jpeg image its 2.51k and its 96x96 wat gives wat am i doing wrong

Welcome to Atomic, where even simple threads like this can turn intense :P Don't be intimidated, though, it doesn't take too long at all before you start to get into this place.

As for the issue that's been raised:

Dear Mods,

Can we please have a sticky up the top of Atomic Feedback that deals with commonly posted issues? Perhaps with a title of "Commonly asked questions. Read before posting"?

Such a thread could, of course, be de-stickied when the applicable updates to the FAQ have been made.

Love forever,

Rob.

Rob.

Can we please have a sticky up the top of Atomic Feedback that deals with commonly posted issues? Perhaps with a title of "Commonly asked questions. Read before posting"?

I don't see why not. If anyone wants to start one, feel free, and I'll be happy to pin it.

I still don't see how this is in any way related to that Hero announcement, but I know this'll turn into an infinite loop of playing on technicalities if I argue.

Ok, I'll let someone else do the heavy lifting and explain how 'a thread about Heroes behaving well towards people' directly relates to 'a suggestion that moderators and staff should behave well towards noobs and their questions and suggestions'.

Because, I certainly wouldn't want to 'play on a technicality', and apparently any explanation I could give wouldn't valid because it's just 'finding a way to complain'.

Edit in response to Robzy's post:

No, it's much easier to keep telling people that 6 months ago someone asked a similar question and it's their own stupid fault if they can't find the answer to it. Edited by just_some_guy

While I dislike the tone of JSG's point, I can't help but feel he has one iamthemaxx, you were kinda a bit brash.

*bats eyes all pretty like towards JSG* Feel like writing a quick "Guide to Atomic's Gotchas"? :P

Rob.

While I dislike the tone of JSG's point,

I get angry about staff being rude or dismissive to new people, not least because that's what happened to me in my second week here.

It created a bad impression. I didn't buy the following three issues of the magazine. And frankly, if my staff treated their customers and suggestions like some of the magazine customers ocassionally get treated on this site, they'd be out on their arses finding somewhere else to have a bad attitude.

If Atomic is serious about improving its site - and I believe David is genuine on this - then I'm going to keep calling these instances out, and making suggestions for the improvement of the site, regardless of how much that may piss people off.

And, regardless of what Training Wheels Moderator perceives, I'm not actually looking for reasons to be critical. I'm just not prepared to ignore things.

Edited by just_some_guy

...a ...FAQ ...?

Like a FAQ, except without any of the drawbacks of the FAQ (updated quickly and to-the-point)

I get angry about staff being rude or dismissive to new people

Well, I think it's first important to note that the mods aren't staff. That being said, though, I understand where you are coming from.

I just don't believe that your tone (which I wouldn't have too much trouble describing as rude) was necessarily the best way to resolve the issue.

Rob.