Sign in to follow this  
krispy89

Xbox 360 RRoD

Yes the dreaded Red Ring of Death, it finally happened to me.

I've completed a repair report, and Microsoft has said that they'll cover the delivery costs, to and from their repair centre.

I only wonder if they'll send out a box which you can pack it in.

Has anybody else experienced this? What did they do to help you out?

-krispy89

No...they don't send you a box in Australia.

Bubble wrap and an Australia Post box will see you right.

Took about 2 weeks to get mine back from a RROD.

At least postage is Reply Paid.

Edited by hectorbustnuts

From a build quality stand point the 360 is a P.O.S. When even their revisions still suffer from RRoD that says there is something really wrong with their design. To their credit though the dealings i've had with customer service at MS have been excellent. I didn't RRoD but my drive crapped itself, had my unit back in a week. Just make sure you get back an at least equivalent unit, they'll send you a refurb and i've heard some stories of people sending in HDMI enabled units and getting ones back without HDMI.

From a build quality stand point the 360 is a P.O.S. When even their revisions still suffer from RRoD that says there is something really wrong with their design. To their credit though the dealings i've had with customer service at MS have been excellent. I didn't RRoD but my drive crapped itself, had my unit back in a week. Just make sure you get back an at least equivalent unit, they'll send you a refurb and i've heard some stories of people sending in HDMI enabled units and getting ones back without HDMI.

no shit , most of the ones ive repaired are lasting longer than new ones bought from the shop.

You won't get a box, take off the faceplate and the hard drive and send her off :)

No accessories either...

Happened to me- I now own a PS3

I dont get how that level of failure is even remotely acceptable. Its one of the biggest jokes in the history of stuff being bought.

I dont get how that level of failure is even remotely acceptable. Its one of the biggest jokes in the history of stuff being bought.

It's not acceptable, in any shape or form. MS is just lucky that their console is the PS2 of this generation.

It's not acceptable, in any shape or form. MS is just lucky that their console is the PS2 of this generation.

In what sense exactly?

Sales numbers?

Software sales numbers?

Software review scores?

Software release numbers?

Rabid fanbaseism?

I'm not sure what you are getting at but I don't think it's even remotely hit anywhere near any of the numbers the PS2 did in it's time.

It's sold more than ps3, it has the most games, and is unreliable. I'd say that's pretty comparable to the PS2

It's sold more than ps3, it has the most games, and is unreliable. I'd say that's pretty comparable to the PS2

Nonsense, just turn the PS2 upside down and it works fine :P

It's the defacto next-gen platform, it's got the best software base, it's the best priced and it's got similar reliability issues that are steadily improving over time.

Sales aren't at PS2 numbers, but that's because of Nintendo shitting in the pool. Or should I say 'wii-ing' in the pool.

Other than that, it's a fair comparison imo.

Edited by The End

I got mine back a few weeks ago after sending it in for the RRoD. They also fixed the drive (which would only open sometimes, or with a bit of persuasion) and gotta say I'm pleased with the outcome. Sure they could have done a better job with the initial design of the box but I'm reasonably happy with mine. This is actually the second time that I've had this happen and both got fixed without any dramas. First one got replaced altogether, and the second time it got repaired. Just glad I didn't get the box modded!

When I got it back they also gave me a 1 month xbox live gold membership card. Nothing big but at least its a plus.

Cheers

Edited by mattym

It's the defacto next-gen platform, it's got the best software base, it's the best priced and it's got similar reliability issues that are steadily improving over time.

Sales aren't at PS2 numbers, but that's because of Nintendo shitting in the pool. Or should I say 'wii-ing' in the pool.

Other than that, it's a fair comparison imo.

I think the biggest reason that X360 is not at PS3 sales numbers is because it started out exorbitantly priced and the fact that one of it's initial marketing tools (HD-DVD) wasn't built in.

PS2's sales numbers were highly related to the fact that it had built in DVD functionality.

All consoles start exhorbitantly priced.

Sadly, this generation the majority stay that way :/

When I got a PS2 it was literally nothing but a DVD player for the maybe first 18 months after launch. There was absolutely nothing to play on it, learnt my lesson after that. Never ever get a console at launch, you pay to much for it, it's inevitably buggy and there's nothing to play on it. Then the laser pooped itself and Sony ignored me and i had to buy another one.

I think MS have done a pretty reasonable job of dropping the price with the 360. The big issue they have is over charging on accessories, especially the ridiculously exorbitant price on the HDD. End of the day we cop it for being Australian and get overcharged for pretty much everything with consoles and games.

Iv done a bit of research and its not that difficult to fix (easy for an atomican) although its not always successful and ofcourse if you can send it back to microsoft thats the obvious way to go.

I'm genuinely surprised to see that the ps2 was considered to be unreliable. I've never had dramas with mine (i had to create a problem to get it swapped out when they released the version with the IR sensor in the unit) and i've only ever heard of minor, random issues occurring with the units (as in, the kind of thing you would expect after about 3 to 4 years of usage, especially when there are kids involved). And i used to deal with ext wty service on them!

However, TE, i'll say that while i agree that its not acceptable in any way, shape or form, its rare that anyone brings up the inherent problem in all 360 revisions when someone is asking which console to go with. Of course that shouldn't replace the usual response of "what games do you like" etc, but people definitely need to be pointed to the fact that there is such a high probability that its almost expected that they are going to have dramas within the lifetime of the unit. Dramas which have existed in the console for years, and still haven't been resolved.

No one would recommend a product that is just about guaranteed to fall over quite possibly from day 1 of purchase (and offer no warnings to those who are considering to purchase said product anyway), except in the case of the 360.

+1 Juggs

Its what has put me off getting a 360, i hate nothing more than a piece of tech fucking out on me when i have spent hours doing something

Microsoft is now renowned for their quick customer service when things go wrong but how can it be acceptible that good customer service and a manufacturer extended warranty make up for not only shoddy first gen hardware, but all the revisions after too? (not to mention sending out lower spec'd refurbs with no hdmi out to some unlucky folks, fuck spending the money on a 'jasper' system only to get the rrod and end up with something else.)

When i was 8 our boarder won a PS1 system through a competition, he didn't have a need or want for it so he sold it to my mum for me for cheap as, this was when there was no dual shock.

I still play that console today and i'm nearly 21, i had one of the first PS2's and that only fucked out when someone spilt bourbon on it hence the problem free PS2 slim that replaced it.

I've still got my dual shock ps1, but the earlier ps1's were pretty much a lucky dip as well. iirc, something to do with the laser housing failing, and needing the unit to be propped up on its side or sat upside down so that it would read disks properly.

but yes, my ps1 still goes strong. i'll never get rid of it. and it had plenty of beer spilt on it at uni too :)

I, too, have put off buying a 360 to the point where i dont think i'll ever own one. Considering that since the nes, the only other major console worth owning that i don't actually have is the dreamcast (i can list them all too, except for the sega's... i cant remember what i own anymore. and i'll exclude the atari's from this too :P), this is fairly disappointing as i normally don't hold too much to favouring one side of the fence to the other. However i don't feel i'm missing out on much anyway, so its no great loss to me.

Sure, anyone who does even the smallest amount of research can find that the unit is the friday model of the console world, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be pointing it out as a consideration when someone is weighing up their options.

At this point even with the RRoD still looming over every console I think it's a mistake to not own a 360. The choice of games and the co-op and online experiences you can have are second to none when it comes down to consoles. Yes I know online is superior on PC and they've been doing this stuff for years, but i'm not a PC gamer and I never really have been. The other big thing that should assuage your worries is MS customer service when it comes to the RRoD. Three year warranty covering the console and as has been mentioned and this is an assumption about the general level of the audience here at atomic but you can home fix the RRoD and it shouldn't be to hard with all the online tutorials and so forth.

This probably comes off sounding a bit fanboyish, admittedly it probably is. I really like my 360, it has given me some great gaming experiences. If I'd known about the RRoD before I bought mine I'd be hesitant as well but at this point the annoyance of a RRoD is well worth the enjoyment I've gotten out of the system.

Edit: speelink

Edited by Aki54

The only consoles that have given me 100% reliability is my Gamecube and my DS. I've had a PS1 blow it's power supply, a fat PS2 that doesn't like dual-layer discs, a PSP that bricked, a slim PS2 that completely shit itself under warranty and my 360 had an E74 error a while ago. So, sending shit off to the manufacturer isn't really that big a deal to me.

Hell, back when I had an Amiga 500, I think I wore out the floppy drive a couple of times...

Yes, but with the exception of the ps1 were any of the others from a known issue, or have a range of problems that were even half the notoriety of the 360?

I'm not talking about 100% reliability, and tbh i'm surprised that i've had that with my ps1, ps2 and xbox. What i am talking about is the fact that if you don't have a RROD or similar issue, you're almost in the minority.