Sign in to follow this  
krispy89

Xbox 360 RRoD

I'm not pointing any of it out as any kind of justification for the 360's unreliability. I'm just saying that given my history, I'm not as precious about it as others may be.

Well what I think that comes down to is more the dissemination of information regarding the problems. Spend enough time online and all you hear are the horror stories. Back in the PS1 days I didn't know a person whose system didn't crap itself and need to be turned upside to work or shaken to turn on but Sony never came out and said anything about it and the interwebs didn't exactly get up in arms about it either. The PS2 had known issues with its laser and again Sony completely ignored it, the interwebs got kinda riled up about it and there were a bunch of home solutions for it because Sony ignored it. That's why RRoD is so in the front of everyone's mind when it comes to the 360, MS came out publicly acknowledged the problem and took it on the chin to make it right. Then we got the resulting media coverage, which folks like us with a gaming passion are hyper aware of and all the fanboy wars and baiting.

Gah, as I reread this before I post it I sound like a massive flaming douche nozzle of a fanboy. For me and I know there are a swath of different stories and opinions out there my experience with the 360 has been about 98% positive. Even when I had a problem it was handled so quickly and easily it didn't really phase me. So yeah, I'll shut up now. I think the 360 is good and MS customer service is top notch, if the PS3 was cheaper I'd probably be raving about that as well.

I'm not pointing any of it out as any kind of justification for the 360's unreliability. I'm just saying that given my history, I'm not as precious about it as others may be.

is it really being precious tho? i'm not after any justification for the unreliability of the 360, rather that people just stop glossing over the inherent problems with the system with the whole "i've had problems with other systems too" argument, and admit that it is something that needs to be taken into consideration if deciding to purchase the unit.

As said above, any other product and you would at least get a warning alongside a recommendation. People rarely seem to give even that.

I dunno, seems to be a bit of a straw man argument. It gets mentioned plenty. My argument is that there are more than enough upsides to make it a pretty minor complaint. Italian cars used to be unreliable as fuck, yet their industries are going strong.

I guess it depends whether you want something that's awesome and cheap but occasionally falls over for 2 weeks, or something that's built like a brick shit house but is a better bluray player than it is a games console...

Edited by The End

I guess it depends whether you want something that's awesome and cheap but occasionally falls over for 2 weeks, or something that's built like a brick shit house but is a better bluray player than it is a games console...

Thats a bit of a harsh call TE, I've got both consoles and the PS3 is a great gaming machine, I bit the bullet and picked up an 80Gb model after my 360 shat itself for the third fucking time. Since then I havent used the 360, not because I dont like the games, it has a WAY better games catalogue too choose from, but because I work a lot and my time off is precious so when I'm keen for a good gaming session and I cant play the games I want because my console decides it wants too fuck out for the fourth time its sure to be more fucking infuriating than when it did it the third time.

Also, I personaly dont get the price bitching about the PS3, when it was $1000 fair enough but now that its $680 (what I paid on the launch day of the 80GB) it just seems to be a big wank. Sure its $680 as opposed to $550 but you dont need to pay $50 a year to play online (fuck you Microsoft!!!!) and you get a great bluray player. I'm sure that once you add up the price of the 360 elite, rechargable batteries, the HDdvd player, not too mention the $50 a year to play online (fuck you again Microsoft!!!!) it would come to at least $680 and probably more.

Once again I'm not a sony fanboy, I acknowledge the 360 has a better choice of games, that most of the cross over titles look better on the 360 (only just though, nothing too wright home about and nothing thats really noticable when your actually playing the games) and that the PS3's exclusives are all but a joke, just someone who has been assfucked three times (shame on me) by the most unreliable peice of tech I have ever owned.

Edited by disolusiond

I'll be sending off the 360 this afternoon.

Expect two weeks.

Mine is currently at the mail centre in Sydney somewhere, forgot the name of the burb.

I laughed at people that got the RRoD early on as I thought, I dont play mine that much, I'm not a "hardcore gamer" until one night I had a huge game of battlestations pacific going on and I forgot to open the cabinet that it sits in.

It had been running for around 4 hours and then pop, everything turned off.

I was shattered. I then thought about all the shit I had given to my mates that RRROOooooD and knew Karma had come and bitch slapped me.

I sent it in two weeks from tomorrow, I'll probalbly see it back tomorrow.

I've been through the worst two weeks of my life lol (just kidding, going to bed early was actually good for me).

Can't wait to get back into it.

For all the PS3 vs Xbox debate, I got mine because it was cheaper than PS3, I was a PS fan I had the first one, then an xbox, then compared the two (ps3 and 360) and chose 360.

Sure bluray would be nice but I'll get myself a dedicated bluray player thanks.

PS: When you are viewing the onlince service, you will notice that 1 week after sending it still may not show up as being recieved. It's there, jsut sitting in their room thats all and not processed.

I got AP onto the job and they said it should be there. So I sent a mail to MSsupport and they said blabla blaa generic email sent back. Then a week and a bit later, bingo yes they said they have it.

3 days later, it changes to sent to client.

Expect two weeks.

Mine is currently at the mail centre in Sydney somewhere, forgot the name of the burb.

I dont play mine that much, I'm not a "hardcore gamer"

I don't play mine that much either, besides, I'll pass the time with work and time on the forums :)

Had mine do it twice, nice repair time turn around.

Keep the nice box and padding they send it back with. ;{D

It may just come in handy. heh.

One mate has sent 3 machines off a total of 5 times so far. Once with the other error they are finally covering now.

I'v actually been wondering this for some time but even though mircoshaft are loaded, how much are these constant hardware failures costing them?

There can NOT be that many refurbs floating around so surely many people end up with new 360s

How much does microsoft lose on a 360 in the first place?

I'v actually been wondering this for some time but even though mircoshaft are loaded, how much are these constant hardware failures costing them?

There can NOT be that many refurbs floating around so surely many people end up with new 360s

How much does microsoft lose on a 360 in the first place?

How could they lose? Mass produced is very cheap.

Repairs on the other hand.

Labor at $20.00 per hr (dont need any trade experience to do the work), would probably take no more than $15 minutes and $1 worth of parts to fix.

They would also have an amazing deal with Aus Post going, very cheap rates there to, I think a repair would only cost them $10-15.

For the record I loved my 360. And was supremely dissapointed when it RROD'd not once but twice.

Im loving my PS3 for different reasons, its a better cornerstone to my home cinema (which is obvious). And the best of the best games on it are as good as the best of the best on 360.

I think Killzone2 is the perfect remedy for getting over the loss of GOW :-)

I sent mine in last week sometime I think it was, forgot to take the faceplate off, what will they do?

*EDIT* Says they still havent received it....how long does it usually take for it to get to them after you post it?

Edited by nukejockey

I sent mine in last week sometime I think it was, forgot to take the faceplate off, what will they do?

*EDIT* Says they still havent received it....how long does it usually take for it to get to them after you post it?

C'mon at least read my post, it's only a few above yours ffs.

There I explained that although you may have sent it a week ago, it will still not be logged in their system.

Faceplate, no problem I'm sure you are not the only one that forgot. If was a custom one I'd be 15% worried that you will not see it again.

I got mine back!

Guess what!

It still does not fucking work!

It's the power block that shat itself and not the actual console. So they plugged it in ticked the box "nothing wrong" and sent it back to me.

I looked at the light on the power block and it's orange when the console is on and red ringing. So as per a look through teh interwebs I diagnosed that the problem was the brick.

Now the indian dude tells me, send in your power and we will send you out a new one.

Great another 2 week + wait.

It's sold more than ps3, it has the most games, and is unreliable. I'd say that's pretty comparable to the PS2

Not to jump to high but i checked out the Xbox360 games list and all I could really find was Gears of War and Halo series games and both games don't really seem to be that great from the people that have played these. I don't mean to drag this out of shape but sales really don't make a big leap considering when being in this generation that we are looking at games and functionality and ever since the PS3 was released I was able to hook any USB digital device and plug and play. Even had a card reader and Blu-Ray which has taken from the HD-DVD (Don't really care if HD-DVD won can't see a difference in quality) but I strongly disagree that the Xbox 360 is at least functional let alone reliable. In my strongest opinion I don't really see why a electronic device such as a gaming console should even pass the green light if it continues to fail, i just don't understand why people continue to let it go.

I own the Xbox360 just simply because all my other mates have one and i can talk to them on Xbox Live which I think is great but I also think Playstation Network is great to, even when you have a can of cold Pepsi right beside you :)

Edited by pepsi

hmm

I did not mean to start anything, just simply having an opinion but I don't mean all out on the Xbox because it is cool in its own right :)

Edited by pepsi

I got mine back!

Guess what!

It's the power block that shat itself and not the actual console. So they plugged it in ticked the box "nothing wrong" and sent it back to me.

I looked at the light on the power block and it's orange when the console is on and red ringing. So as per a look through teh interwebs I diagnosed that the problem was the brick.

Now the indian dude tells me, send in your power and we will send you out a new one.

Sorry to hear that man, my power brick was green when mine bit the dust, so I won't have that problem to worry about. Edited by krispy89

I got mine back!

Guess what!

If you actually listened to MS they tell you to check the power brick BEFORE you send it off. You fucked up. Deal with it.

I got mine back!

Guess what!

If you actually listened to MS they tell you to check the power brick BEFORE you send it off. You fucked up. Deal with it.

Listened to or read?

The neverending loop of webpages that their support is setup in. lol.

Both, they went through that shit with me and my gf over the phone when ours broke (twice) not to mention it's int he official checklist of the XBOX List.

Granted it's crappy that you need to wait again, but you did indeed screw up a bit mate.

Lmao....kinda. Just plugged in the 360 for the first time in what must be a year and a half and I see Microsoft have raised the gold membership price to $80 a year. All I wanted too do was play some GoW online and I was also intrested too see how the 360 sounds now that the useless fucks have fixed the problem of the jet engine that obviously lived inside my console, aperently you can put your games onto the hard drive now so its not so bad, only took em two and a half years, well done MS.

Well fuck that, after the year and a half of quiet, perfectly funtioning and FREE online gaming I've had with the PS3 I'll be damned if I'm going too start paying to play again, dont know why I ever did in the first place, oh thats right, I fucking had too. Well I can do without GoW1 & 2 and the few other exclusives the 360 has, its going back in the box and back into the spare room of rarly used gaming tech, probably never too return.

Fuck you once again Microsoft, fuck you in the ass with a chainsaw made of acid and hate!