Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
robzy

What's the go with system monitoring these days?

What's the least resource intensive program I can get to give me quick info on clock speed and cpu temps?

(Gigabyte 965p mobo, and Win Vista x64)

Thanks,

Rob.

Real Temp seems to do the track, but no idea why it seems to be reporting 47/49 for an E6300@2.1Ghz with no voltage increase :S

That sounds a little high, doesn't it?

Rob.

41/42

Exactly 5deg under whatever Real Temp reports...

Which to believe? :P

Rob.

Edited by robzy

41/42

Exactly 5deg under whatever Real Temp reports...

Which to believe? :P

Rob.

I think they work differently - hence the 5C difference. Someone here once explained the 5C difference but I can't remember who.

Anyway, your CPU isn't going explode at those temps.

I think they work differently - hence the 5C difference. Someone here once explained the 5C difference but I can't remember who.

May have been me.

As to the OP. Stock cooling? Might be a bad heatsink install. Those old Core2 chips came with push-pin heatsinks didn't they? Notorious for not making good contact. Might be worth applying some aftermarket thermal goop and re-seating the heatsink.

May have been me.

As to the OP. Stock cooling? Might be a bad heatsink install. Those old Core2 chips came with push-pin heatsinks didn't they? Notorious for not making good contact. Might be worth applying some aftermarket thermal goop and re-seating the heatsink.

yea even the new i7's still retain that legacy, god I hate push pins...

I don't like AMD's mechanism either, I guess I am just a fan of proper backplates and screws.

Edited by nesquick

Fucking push pin, worst idea ever.

That being said, my post came right after i applied new thermal grease and reseated the HSF. It was all in firmly.

Beforehand though the HSF was absolutely covered in dust, must've been no airflow what so ever.

Rob.

I'm currently using both Speedfan and Coretemp. Originally was worried because Speedfan would report crazy temp up around 70c. A few thermal paste experiments down the line it reports about 60c max whih is still pretty high. I just downloaded Coretemp and now its reportng much better temperatures (max 47c) and most cores down below 40c.

Who to believe? I hope Coretemp is right because Speedfan just seems like its always been unrealistically high.

speedfan is good. I've always used realtemp. utilities that comes with motherboard doesn't work really well most of the times. I'd stay away from them.

You need to calibrate Realtemp.

Find of the TJmax of your exact cpu, then punch it into the settings option.

You need to calibrate Realtemp.

Find of the TJmax of your exact cpu, then punch it into the settings option.

for me speed fan also needs to be calibrated as its 10-15c out depending on the cpu.