Sign in to follow this  
Cybes

[vid] Augmented Reality Zombie-blaster

Some people will say this belongs in Console Gaming. I think, whilst this is obviously both a game and on a handheld, this has a distinct general interest flavour. I can certainly see this tech having much broader application than just zombie-zapping.

I found that clip through a Wired article, btw.

I know I was the last to post, but it's been several hours.

Anyway I was hunting around for more information on AR tech.

Just installed one on my HTC Touch HD

AR Zoo

Works well enough. The instuctions say to print out the markers in colour, but I don't have a colour printer. Works well enough.

My phone doesn't refresh the image fast enough and you have to hold still to let the camera refocus on the markers but it works :D

Interested in more apps.

I'm just imagining ^this combined with something like this. You'd have a shooter where the player could be nailing stuff that nobody else could see - like a ghost hunter sniping with his magical ecto rifle, or something.

'Course, then you'd also have some idiot thinking real gunmen were on the loose and calling in Starforce. ;P

Having downloaded a few apps and trying them on my phone, I'm finding that it's too slow.

Hence why the zombie shooter is using nvidia's Tegra and not one of the current gen mobile devices.

Really this is either for Tech Talk or Portable & Mobile Tech section.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=16207

Edited by morris

Well, I'm not going to struggle too hard if you think it needs moving, morris. I stated my reasoning already, but I've been wrong on this sort of call often before.

Thanks to this thread the last two nights I've been reading up on AR.

Well I just found this demonstration.

http://geekswithblogs.net/kit/archive/2009/06/19/132918.aspx

Camera + Projector + phone (for internet) + hand gestures = best use of AR ever.

Impressed me more than Layar or anything else I've seen.

I laughed at when he drew a circle on his wrist to tell the time. Love to see where they take this, although I couldn't see myself wearing a portable projector around my neck like in the demo.