twinair

Heroes, superheroes and the banhammer, A new way of looking at hero ranks

This is just part of the ongoing efforts at providing a friendly yet vibrant community environment for all our members and future users. As always, the mods and I consider any 'new rule' such as this to be open to community review and ongoing feedback

Why lock the old one then if the above quote is the case?

Seems there are more than just a single person who want to discuss and provide feedback....so why lock it at all?

I think it's an appropriate discussion and therefore deserves to be left open to "community review and ongoing feedback."

Thoughts?

Edited by twinair

Dave's quote says it all.

I'm not trolling at all.

You watch the uproar of everyone else who wants to continue the discussion.

My problem with what was happening in that thread was that it was going on so long, with so many... alternate takes on what we were trying to do, that users were getting confused, believing all kinds of erroneous stuff. There were multiple instances of that in the thread.

What I expect to see in the future is discussion of specific instances of the 'rule' (and I really hate that term, but cannot think of a better right now), and then further modification - if necessary - of the rule based on those specific uses.

The announcement thread, I think, has served its purpose. It's gone on for 20-plus pages for well over a week, with nothing new added in the last three or so pages - just FUD.

Edited to add:

You watch the uproar of everyone else who wants to continue the discussion.

I warned I was going to be locking the thread yesterday morning, and gave about a day for that 'uproar'. Didn't see much.

Edited by hawkeye

If it makes so much uproar just get rid of hero tags altogether since it has 0 affect on the quality of the posts and 0 affect on the poster.

I'm sure at some point in the future I'm going to do something that a particular mod will think is dickheaded, so they may as well just take the tag now.

Ah, now there's a valid question!

I'd be inclined to take the title away entirely. Both tags are meant to denote a certain quality we would like new users to look up to, and if that's very much not the case, I can't see why we'd let a Super down to a Hero.

The world wide wide is a big place. How big? Very big.

But I defy anyone to find anywhere on the world wide web, a higher ratio of "thread topic" to "kerfuffle caused" than has been witnessed in this thread, and the two that came before it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, alert the Guinness Book of Records.

I'd be inclined to take the title away entirely. Both tags are meant to denote a certain quality we would like new users to look up to, and if that's very much not the case, I can't see why we'd let a Super down to a Hero.

Superheroes need to do more to achieve it in the first place, should they lose it for doing the same?

Edited by 1shot1kill

Why is MacDaddy a SuperHero SuperHero and 1shot is not?

He was a moderator which meant that the Mod tag replaced his SuperHero tag. For this reason, his rank was changed to SuperHero instead. Now that he's not a mod anymore, the SuperHero tag has been replaced, but his rank has not.

He was a moderator which meant that the Mod tag replaced his SuperHero tag. For this reason, his rank was changed to SuperHero instead. Now that he's not a mod anymore, the SuperHero tag has been replaced, but his rank has not.

So why is mine different? I was a moderator.

Because 1shot is an Immortal and MacDaddy is not. :D

Superheroes need to do more to achieve it in the first place, should they lose it for doing the same?

You can't exactly be a Hero in nature if you've managed to lose your SuperHero status. i.e. consistently being a 'dick'.

You can't exactly be a Hero in nature if you've managed to lose your SuperHero status. i.e. consistently being a 'dick'.

You can be less of a dick, tho'. Hey, Dave was wondering aloud, I'm just helping with his thought processes here. I've accepted the new rule/guideline, I know it's going to happen, that I'm not going to be a Superhero for much longer and that this rule is more than likely because of me.

Matter of fact, I'm thinking of pre-empting it.

Edited by 1shot1kill

So why is mine different? I was a moderator.

Not in V3 you weren't. As I understand it, it's a quirk of the new board that hasn't been ironed out, rather than some deliberate double-supering.

Yeah, what Fuzz said.

And, 1shot, if you're thinking of being a jerk just so you can get this over and done with, how about we nip that in the bud right now and save us both some hassle later?

You can be less of a dick, tho'. Hey, Dave was wondering aloud, I'm just helping with his thought processes here. I've accepted the new rule/guideline, I know it's going to happen, that I'm not going to be a Superhero for much longer and that this rule is more than likely because of me.

Matter of fact, I'm thinking of pre-empting it.

Eh, I kinda doubt it, man. You're not really a dick, more of a wise-arse :P

I have to say, some people are getting a bit wound up about this.

You think...?

Eh, I kinda doubt it, man. You're not really a dick, more of a wise-arse :P

Is pedantry really that serious a crime here?

;)

Edited by just_some_guy

I'm sure at some point in the future I'm going to do something that a particular mod will think is dickheaded, so they may as well just take the tag now.

Taking the tag would never be something lightly done, and unless you REALLY piss the usually sanguine Mr Hollingworth off (who can override the borg collective of the mod team), I'd almost guarantee that any move like that would take the agreement of the whole mod team as well as the abovementioned dwarvish leader.

It's all part of the checks and balances MacDude keeps yakking about. :P

I don't believe David (or anyone else) wants to see anyone have their tag removed, the same as he doesn't want to see anyone (except maybe the spammer that keeps trying to sell him shoes) banned. I do see him wanting to be a boy scout (or a girl guide?) and maybe put a first aid kit on the back parcel rack of the car and pack the aeroguard.