twinair

Heroes, superheroes and the banhammer, A new way of looking at hero ranks

I can see how the hero tag can be considered to be e-peen, based on the importance and imaginary significance some people place on it.

Well seems like e-wang to those of us who have only recently been introduced to the concept.

Urban dictionary defines it as:

1. Your e-penis

2. How confident you are online.

3. How much clout you wield (online).

Wouldn't it fit neatly into definition #3?

Hero rank confers no clout: being a Hero doesn't give you power over other users. I don't think it fits into #3.

And thus we once more descend into yet another navel-gazing episode on the nature of Heroship.

It's in the FAQ, people.

Obviously, it carries as much clout with each person as they concede to such a badge of honour awarded by the Mods and Gods.

Some degree of e-peen is inevitably involved.

Depending on your definition of e-peen, it may be nothing more than e-peen. But then your definition wouldn't be deprecatory, and the term kinda connotes that.

Edited by Kimmo

Hero rank confers no clout: being a Hero doesn't give you power over other users. I don't think it fits into #3.

Hero rank almost certainly has a level of clout associated with it. If not only because some users will respect those users more, and aspire to challenge or imitate them in some way. Even if the person holding the actual tag is not aware of this.

What clout?

I think a lot of people are cinfusing Heros with Mods.

They are completely different.

Heros can be any age.

Whereas Mods................?

...need to be freckly kids without a hobby who are embarking on their first power trip?

(kidding)

I don't think e-peen has to be a negative term. The reality of forums is that some people are opinion leaders, and what they say and do sets the agenda for a lot of others who are eager to fit it. On the forum my wife mostly frequents, they don't have ranks. You can easly tell you which members have big e-vagina ratings.

Hero rank almost certainly has a level of clout associated with it. If not only because some users will respect those users more, and aspire to challenge or imitate them in some way. Even if the person holding the actual tag is not aware of this.

The hero rank is a recognition of the respect that already exists. They only have as much "clout" as individual users feel they deserve -- it does not, in itself, confer any.

Heros can be any age.

Yes? Mods what?

Well, it seems a bit like Logan's Run, that's all.

lol

Except any "older" mods retire of their own free will.

amen to that.

The hero rank is a recognition of the respect that already exists. They only have as much "clout" as individual users feel they deserve -- it does not, in itself, confer any.

I disagree. Not all users, especially not new users are going to respect someone with a Hero rank. I've always understood the rank to be awarded due to the quality of contributions, ad not necessarily the respect held by the community. There are quite a few Hero's who people did not feel deserved the title. Any title or rank that can be interpreted as marking some users better than others is going to have clout. Even if that is not the intended meaning.

I disagree. Not all users, especially not new users are going to respect someone with a Hero rank. I've always understood the rank to be awarded due to the quality of contributions, ad not necessarily the respect held by the community. There are quite a few Hero's who people did not feel deserved the title. Any title or rank that can be interpreted as marking some users better than others is going to have clout. Even if that is not the intended meaning.

"Quality of contributions" and "respect of the community" are very much one and the same in this context. Of course, no-one is ever heroed without having some detractors -- that's just human nature. It is intended, however, as a mark of respect and gratitude, not as a means of improving "e-wang" or "clout" or any such nonsense. I have no doubt that some people see it that way, of course, but if that's all it was then the majority of the dissent over this whole issue simply wouldn't exist.

"Quality of contributions" and "respect of the community" are very much one and the same in this context. Of course, no-one is ever heroed without having some detractors -- that's just human nature. It is intended, however, as a mark of respect and gratitude, not as a means of improving "e-wang" or "clout" or any such nonsense. I have no doubt that some people see it that way, of course, but if that's all it was then the majority of the dissent over this whole issue simply wouldn't exist.

I disagree that quality contributions are synonymous with the respect of the community. Ultimately, it is not the community who decides who is heroed, as far as I am aware. Regardless of how much respect or lack of a person may have from the community. My point is just that the hero tag does confer clout. It does not matter if that if the intention or not. If it did not confer clout, then there would not be any dissent over the issue. I've always seen the Hero tag as an acknowledgement, which may go side by side with respect, but it does not have to.

the idea that the hero tag confers clout is false. There is evidence all around, one only needs to look to see if posts by heros are held in high regard because of the tag, not because of what was posted. If it happens at all it only happens rarely, by those in the first few months of joining. After that I'm sure they get the jist of the place :)

The fact that there is a discussion on this topic does not in any way prove that the hero tag has clout. It just proves that some people believe there is injustice, or the possibility of injustice. Heros have no power, no clout, and I think I'm in a reasonable position to offer such an opinion - I've held every tag except "God". I have no more or no less clout than when I was a Champion, though a bit more than a serf :)

just because you say heros have clout doesn't mean they do. I provided my reasoning which hasn't been disproved, no alternative examples have been provided, so I'll stick with it for the moment if you don't mind.

All I'm saying is, they should get tested. If they do have clout, and they don't know it, they could pass it on to someone else!

It's a tradition of the forum. You can call it clout, you can call it appreciation, you can call it Arial pt.10 R40 G144 B255. I think this whole discussion is much of muchness, with no real point other than finding insignificant aspects to argue about. You just have to look at the existing posts to see what I mean.

It's like a virtual roundabout, with no exits!