Sign in to follow this  
Saponification

Delicious Dead Animal

Last night, I cooked some kangaroo steaks for dinner. My Indian house mate, I'm glad to say, was pleased with his first taste of one half of our coat of arms. I cooked it simply--rubbed olive oil into the steaks before dredging them in freshly cracked black peppercorns and sea salt, then threw the steaks into an incredibly hot pan and fried them for 3-4 minutes per side. Took the steaks out, rested them and proceeded to make a pepper sauce by pouring a shot of cognac (boom) into the pan, letting it reduce down some, adding some veal stock and then, to finish, a touch of butter. I'd been meaning to experiment more frequently with 'roo primarily due its affordability and I liked the results. Next up, I think, is a curry or pasta sauce of some description.

Thinking on this now, I'm curious--what meats (seafood included here, by the way) do y'all eat on a regular basis and an occasional basis? Do you only eat the big five (beef, pork, lamb, chicken and fish)? Do you mostly eat the big five but make room, every now and then, for a kangaroo steak? I've noticed a couple of you seem to eat kangaroo frequently.

For me it probably breaks down as follows:

OFTEN:

Chicken, duck, beef

OCCASIONAL:

Pork, lamb, camel, kangaroo, seafood, goat, turkey, quail

NOT OFTEN ENOUGH:

Emu, pheasant, venison

I always get blown away by how much effort put into cooking

I put a slab of beef into a plastic bag, microwaved it for 20 min and declared it a roast :P

But anyway, I really think we should all be eating more Roo. I haven't seen it often enough unfortunately but it has a great flavour and it just makes more sense for it to go mainstream than cow (in Australia at least).

I always get blown away by how much effort put into cooking

I put a slab of beef into a plastic bag, microwaved it for 20 min and declared it a roast :P

But anyway, I really think we should all be eating more Roo. I haven't seen it often enough unfortunately but it has a great flavour and it just makes more sense for it to go mainstream than cow (in Australia at least).

You haven't seen it often enough? I see it in every Coles and Safeway. Unless the supermarkets are wildly different where you live, you should be able to find pre-packed, Macro Meats stuff. If not, a butcher or poultry store would be more than happy to order some in for you. You can buy mince, roasts and steaks of various cuts, as well as pre-seasoned and pre-sauced stuff. Can't beat a pre-sauced kangaroo pepper steak in terms of low effort, healthy, affordable eating.

You haven't seen it often enough? I see it in every Coles and Safeway. Unless the supermarkets are wildly different where you live, you should be able to find pre-packed, Macro Meats stuff. If not, a butcher or poultry store would be more than happy to order some in for you. You can buy mince, roasts and steaks of various cuts, as well as pre-seasoned and pre-sauced stuff. Can't beat a pre-sauced kangaroo pepper steak in terms of low effort, healthy, affordable eating.

Ah, my local supermarket is all fancy wankery... cheapest meat starts at $13 a kilo and that's for stew beef :P

Might check out the nearby Woolies when I go shopping tomorrow night.

Often

Chicken

Beef

Occasionally

Pork

'Roo

Lamb

Almost Never

Fish

Veal

Wish I had more

Lamb

Scallops

Venison

Goat

I put a fair amount of energy into cooking. Too much, I think personally. But I enjoy the results so much that, in the end, I think it's worth it.

BBQ CHICKEN

BBQ CHICKEN

BBQ CHICKEN

BBQ CHICKEN

BBQ CHICKEN

BBQ CHICKEN

BBQ CHICKEN

BBQ CHICKEN

BBQ CHICKEN

OM NOM NOM

Chicken or Beef several times a week. Fish I eat maybe once a week, pork sometimes, though usually in the form of ham or bacon in a sandwhich, I don't know if that counts. All other meats significantly less.

I've been thinking of giving up meat altogether, except maybe some chicken or fish from time to time. I never feel that good after eating it. It is tasty though :(

Often

Roo

Chicken

Beef

Bacon (even if it's just a few chips to garnish a soup)

Sometimes

Fish / Seafood

Pork

Occasionally / I Wish

Lamb

Quality Seafood / Beef cuts

Rarely

Rabbit

Goat (gotta find a butcher near here that has it - there should be one)

EDIT: The sauce sounds nice. A bit similar to how dianne sauce is made. Love steak dianne - haven't tried it with roo yet, but I think a winey dianne sauce would go well, so possibly the next time I get a roo cut.

Seafood, Lamb, Chicken, Beef, every week.

Used to eat Roo at lot more, but my wife went off it when she was pregnant, all rare red meat really, and haven't really started cooking it again since.

We've just moved around the corner from an awesome market, so variety is soon to be the spice of my life.

Dad has also been teasing with the option of slaughtering some of their organic beef at the farm and butchering it there however we want. Apparently he was speaking to a guy who will setup on site and slaughter and butcher an animal for you, they have a mobile coolroom so you can hang it if you want. I really hope that happens.

OFTEN:

Lamb

Goat

Chicken

Bacon

LESS OFTEN:

Beef

Pork

NOWHERE NEAR OFTEN ENOUGH:

Duck

Duck

Duck

Fish

and Duck.

I really would like some confit duck right now :(

-X

Last night, I cooked some kangaroo steaks for dinner. My Indian house mate, I'm glad to say, was pleased with his first taste of one half of our coat of arms. I cooked it simply--rubbed olive oil into the steaks before dredging them in freshly cracked black peppercorns and sea salt, then threw the steaks into an incredibly hot pan and fried them for 3-4 minutes per side. Took the steaks out, rested them and proceeded to make a pepper sauce by pouring a shot of cognac (boom) into the pan, letting it reduce down some, adding some veal stock and then, to finish, a touch of butter. I'd been meaning to experiment more frequently with 'roo primarily due its affordability and I liked the results. Next up, I think, is a curry or pasta sauce of some description.

Thinking on this now, I'm curious--what meats (seafood included here, by the way) do y'all eat on a regular basis and an occasional basis? Do you only eat the big five (beef, pork, lamb, chicken and fish)? Do you mostly eat the big five but make room, every now and then, for a kangaroo steak? I've noticed a couple of you seem to eat kangaroo frequently.

For me it probably breaks down as follows:

OFTEN:

Chicken, duck, beef

OCCASIONAL:

Pork, lamb, camel, kangaroo, seafood, goat, turkey, quail

NOT OFTEN ENOUGH:

Emu, pheasant, venison

Beef, hoggett, chicken, fish. Pork if it's cured (ham, bacon). Lamb is over-rated.

I'll eat anything but the most common animal I probably eat is fish.

I did ram a Roo through the mincer the other night. Didn't turn out too bad.

Still, I'm not an overly huge fan of bowel cancer so am not in a rush to eat the world void of game, overnight.

Plenty of time for that.

....oh and sap...congrats on the first food post. :-)

Often

Chicken

Lamb

Pork

Occasionally

Beef

Turkey

Fish

Not often enough

Calamari (fried)

Yeah, I'm boring, but I do love my dead animal :P

:)

The circle here tends to be beef, lamb, chicken, pork, seafood, bacon, veg.

Roo comes and goes, I try offal, which I love, but I end up eating it alone :)

I just ordered a well hung girello for a dinner party I am planning, will be as a Wellington, and the butcher assures me he can get game, like well hung venison, with a little notice, cool :)

Cheers

I've wanted to eat a pigeon for as long as I can remember.

If anyone in Sydney knows where I can find them...apart from chasing one down in their backyard...

I'd love to know.

I've wanted to eat a pigeon for as long as I can remember.

If anyone in Sydney knows where I can find them...apart from chasing one down in their backyard...

I'd love to know.

Martin Place.

OFTEN:

Beef

Chicken

Lamb

OCCASIONAL:

Pork

Fish / seafood

Turkey

Duck

ALMOST NEVER:

Veal

Snake

Frogs legs

Snail

Goat

Kangaroo (makes me sick sadly)

Buffalo

Pigeon

OFTEN:

Lamb

Goat

Chicken

Bacon

LESS OFTEN:

Beef

Pork

NOWHERE NEAR OFTEN ENOUGH:

Duck

Duck

Duck

Fish

and Duck.

I really would like some confit duck right now :(

-X

Oh yeah, I LOVE duck. OM NOM NOM

Often:

Beef, chicken

Less often:

Sheep, pig, squid/octopus, shark

Not often enough:

roo, deer, duck, goat

How is venison, anyway? I've been meaning to try it one day.

It's tasty, is how it is.

Venison is lovely. Costly, but lovely.

I'm glad you said that and not "gamey."

I fucking hate it when people say it tasted gamey.

No, it didn't, it fucking tasted like VENISON you WANKER!