Sign in to follow this  
Antraman

ASUS VK266H 26' LCD Monitor

Woohoo! Picked one of these up today at MSY Slacks Creek, they just got new stock in, as they have been out of them for the last couple of months. Got it to replace my ASUS 22" which my son claimed.

It is noticeably larger, in fact it is huge. Out of the box, not a single bright or dark pixel, and bleed appeared minimal. I was after this one in particular, as opposed some of the other brands' 26' models, because of its 2ms response time, and the 2MP built in webcam is a bonus should I need to have one. There are 5 or 6 RCA inputs which I gather are for audio in, I probably won't use them considering I'm using a Logitech 5.1 surround sound system. Another reason for going for the 26" was to allow the text in EVE Online to appear a bit larger, I had to squint a bit with the 22" running at 1680x1050. However, with the 26' monitor running at 1920x1200, I'm not sure the text turned out to be much larger...but it definitely gives me more screen real-estate not taken up by the UI elememts.

I have noticed a very slight judder at times in rapidly moving my view around in game, whereas I had none of that with the 22"...so I have probably reached the limit of my Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB VGA card...although I'm still using the Phenom II x4 810 instead of the the faster 955 BE. MSY is out of them at the moment so I'll have to wait before I can test with a faster CPU.

The screen is very bright, sharpness is very nice...text appears a bit sharper than on the 22", although it has a little trouble differentiating various very dark reddy-browns as did the 22". Whether thats a typical problem with that particular colour for all LCDs, or just the ASUS one's I am not sure...will have to research that.

Overall, very nice for the price.

Posted Image

<cough> $600 coz I paid by credit card...it was including MSY's famous 3% surcharge - I didn't expect them to have it in yet, as I wsa there looking for other stuff, and for some strange reason didn't have $589 cah in my pocketsess

:-)

EDIT: Just installed cat 9.6 drivers and set the game's graphics options to optimal for quality; the judder is gone completely and the graphics now look stunning...

Edited by Antraman