FQC-00730(W7PRO32-1) Win Pro 7 32-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD

FQC-01166(W7PRO32-3) Win Pro 7 32-bit English 3pk DSP 3 OEI DVD

FQC-00765(W7PRO64-1) Win Pro 7 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD

FQC-01197(W7PRO64-3) Win Pro 7 64-bit English 3pk DSP 3 OEI DVD

GLC-00701(W7ULT32-1) Win Ult 7 32-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD

GLC-00863(W7ULT32-3) Win Ult 7 32-bit English 3pk DSP 3 OEI DVD

GLC-00736(W7ULT64-1) Win Ult 7 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD

GLC-00894(W7ULT64-3) Win Ult 7 64-bit English 3pk DSP 3 OEI DVD

Hmmm, looks like the usual M/S rip-off for power users or those that want to upgarde what they already have to a similar level.

So if I'm running the lowly Home premium I'm fine with an upgrade for $169 but if I'm on Vista Ultimate I'm up for $399 at a mere discount of $60 off the full price for a new copy, having been running Vista for less than 12 months that seems a little steep to me. Now I understand that there are more things in Ultimate (like 64 bit etc) but my PC is already running those things under Vista so for an upgrade to a similar level surely it should be for a similar cost (ie $169 for H/P and $200 for Ult)?

Seems to me Microsoft are just losing a possibility of seeing lots of people actually upgrade to a o/s that seems to work properly for once (in my view it is the o/s that I purchased with Vista but never got). As usual the bean counters just assume that a fixed number of users will upgrade therefore we'll charge what we need to "make a return on the investment" rather than if we charge half what we did last time we might just get 3 times the number of purchasers (and therefore make more). upgrading from the top of the line o/s to the next top of the line shouldn't be similar to buying a new copy.

Shame really as the copy of RTM I'm trying seems to have ironed out a few of the problems with Vista and seems to be blisteringly fast in comparison. I like the driver install which seems to be quite hands-off and seems to work well and even some of the bits of old hardware I am using like a German Professional Audio card works well. One or two bits of hardware don't but then they didn't with Vista (a nice faithful HP scanner I've had for nigh on 20 years) either. I'd like to upgrade but paying $60 less than a full copy really annoys me.

Corpsoft pricing listed below...

Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade for Home or Business Users Price

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 1 User Home or Business License - Now Available !! $299.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 3 User Home or Business License - Now Available !! $855.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 5 User Home or Business License - Now Available !! $1375.00

Microsoft Windows 7 for Government Users Price

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 1 User Government License - Now Available !! $218.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 3 User Government License - Now Available !! $627.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 5 User Government License - Now Available !! $999.00

Microsoft Windows 7 for Academic Users Price

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 1 User Academic License - Now Available !! $149.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 3 User Academic License - Now Available !! $417.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade 5 User Academic License - Now Available !! $645.00

Microsoft Windows 7 - Available for Pre-Order Price

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade $169.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium $279.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional $399.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade $399.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate $459.00

Now OEM prices have been unveiled by online retailer Newegg.com. Newegg says it will be offering Windows 7 Home Premium for $99.99, less than the suggested full (not upgrade) Home Premium license price of $199.99, and less than even the $119.99 suggested upgrade license price. OEM Professional and Ultimate licenses will be priced at $134.99 and $174.99, respectively.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=16368

Hmm, I might bite at that price.

Looks like it's $30 for students....grrrrrr.

http://www.win741.com/

Yes it's applicable here too.

How dare a company reduce prices for students. This is clear indication that Microsoft can sell their product for significantly cheaper than they do. I knew prices in the hundreds of dollars was not justified. It's so typical of the tyrannical and commerical dogs they are!

How dare a company reduce prices for students. This is clear indication that Microsoft can sell their product for significantly cheaper than they do. I knew prices in the hundreds of dollars was not justified. It's so typical of the tyrannical and commerical dogs they are!

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I dare say the only reason they do this is because they know most students would pirate it (i.e. they're poor). $30 is better than nothing!

But by the same token, most former students, as in (computer literate) citizens, could also pirate it too, so it could still be cheaper at retail. The educational version of Vista was still about $100.

Assuming you aren't being sarcastic, they make their products cheap for students so that they are literate in Microsoft products upon graduating. Taking that skill set into the workforce.

That's how they justify selling so far below the retail price.

for those who are Australian University / Tafe students you can get a windows 7 Professional Upgrade $49.95 Windows 7 upgrade

Good price for the upgrade if you can find a reseller who will supply at that price :)

Edit: yep I see now it is AU.

Edited by bowiee

Why is Windows 7 so expensive in Australia?

Just goes to show you that Australian's are getting ripped off blind, and that it is a significant difference between the price in other markets.

e.g.

Home Premium Standalone: AUS $299, US $199=AUS $216, UK= 149.99 pounds=AUS $265

Off to see my Uncle methinks.

Would really like a Windows 7 3 pack OEM. What versions are people getting? Looking at getting Windows 7 Professional. Price is not competitive enough.

Need to upgrade one pc from XP and 2 pc's from Vista. That should be possible.

Edited by 2SHY

Just bought three Windows 7 (64bit) OEMs for $119 each.

Doesn't seem to be any reason to go for the Pro or the Ultimate Editions.

BedeM

Just goes to show you that Australian's are getting ripped off blind, and that it is a significant difference between the price in other markets.

e.g.

Hmmm.... Interesting. With our aussie dollar around $0.92-0.93US at the moment I wonder if there would be any dramas in buying it from overseas?

All Windows operating systems seem to have the option of selecting different languages, regions, etc etc.... Can anybody see any problems with buying a US copy of Win 7? Has anybody already done this?

If you are looking at the Ultimate version it would make sense to save some dollars. (I wonder how hard it would be to buy an OEM version from the US????)

e.g.

Any excuse is a good enough excuse, right?

Going to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on my pc....Only thing i need to back up is my steam folder.....That could take a while.