im building a rig for my cousin for a gaming pc but not over the top i was considering a e5200 as its cheap and using the extra money spare on a good graphics card i've heard these get 2 3.75 ghz pretty easy was just wondering if i got a 4890 wid one of these and 4gb ram i should be able to run latest games pretty well or will the cpu start to bottle neck i will be OCing it

The low cache might make it chug a bit on some things but they are a good chip for like $89

Edited by nesquick

agreed i thought i would be all right with this option he likes his older games like supreme commander any way cheers nessy for the input :)

If he only runs older games you could get a hd 4870 and get a better cpu? Or, you could get it and upgrade the cpu later on, if need be, to something better when prices go down.

I'm still running an E2140 1.6 (OCed to 2.9) with an 8800gt and have not come across a game I can't play, all be it at fairly low-res.

An E5200, in my opinion, is a very smart choice for those of us on a budget.

Also the Athlon II X2 250 is only just over $100 and already runs at 3ghz. Should OC well too.

agreed i thought i would be all right with this option he likes his older games like supreme commander any way cheers nessy for the input :)

Supreme commander is very CPU intensive and the more cores the better. For most other games, the fastest dual core you can afford is usually better.

Bit of a bump, just thought i should add my 2c.

Up untill today i was running an E5200 @ 3.85ghz (max @ 4.2ghz) with an HD4850. As the CPU was causing a bottleneck to the GPU IMO it would probably best to invest in an E7x00.

E5200 is EOL.

Your best bet in is the E5300. Same price anyway.

No Idea why you'd recommed an E6700 given how old it is.

If anything the sweet spot of CPU's is the E8400. These have dropped under the $200 mark now.