Electr0

16:9 vs 16:10

I'm in the market for a new 24" monitor and I really don't get the whole 16:9 vs 16:10 thing. I understand what the difference is between them but at the end of the day, which is better for gaming on a PC?

I've have read some different articles and opinions but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Some say 16:10 because a PC game and utilise the extra height but then others say that you get 1080p with a 16:9 and most game support that.

Can someone help clear this up for me.

16:9 v 16:10, just a discussion of ratio's is rather pointless when comparing these two, why? Over the entire area of the screen the differences are minor, a 16:10 screen has slightly more surface area for the the same " value, but then again 4:3 ratio screens have even more and there basically dead and buried now. 16:10 was rather a strange ratio to begin with, i still can't fathom why monitor manufacturers ever released such a ratio as 16:9 has long been the standard widescreen ratio.

Ratio's aside for me the main reason to stick with 16:10 for the time being comes down to screen quality. Right now 16:9 ratio screens are limited to tn panels, if you want higher image quality you'll need a va or preferably ips based screen and these are all 16:10 for now. If you're happy with tn then my advice to you would be buy what ever is cheapest, that is if you can find a 16:9 ratio screen of equal quality of a 16:10 but cheaper then buy it and vice versa. Resolutions of 16:9 can be a little strange, but most newer games should be good to go out of the box and older games are very easy to set for custom resolutions by generally modifying a .cfg file.

if you have the choice, try to get a 16:10 monitor that can do 1:1 pixel mapping in the vent you plug in a souce such as a PS3 that outputs at 16:9. that way you can display 16:10 resolution content while keeping the 16:9 image from stretching to match the panel.

I think another comparison between 16:9 and 16:10 is its backwards compatibility.

With Windows, how the display handles resolutions especially when using an analog connection (D-Sub), and also how older games are displayed. This includes games that either have no support for widescreen resolutions, or have no support for 16:9 resolutions.

Can anyone advise on this?