Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Reb1rth.

Overclocking E6600 on an Intel 975XBX2

Yo.

I posted about this ages ago, but I forgot about the thread and now it seems lost in the depths of Atomic forum.

Anyway, I'm trying to OC my CPU to 3.0GHz and this board is proving to be a pain for doing so.

I've Googled for info on OC with this board and even found specific settings for this CPU, but half the options (like FSB frequency) seem to be missing from my BIOS.

I am running the newest BIOS (I actually updated the other day as I thought the mission options might be in a newer version - but weren't).

I managed to get it to 2.6, then did a restart and upped it to 2.61 (it seems to shit itself and refuse to boot if I go more than 1 at a time), then my PC tried to boot, and it went straight into a Windows recovery thing (Win7 x64 7127), and kept doing so until I returned it to stock speeds.

I'm new to this whole CPU OC thing, so I'm looking for tips/tricks to get my CPU to 3.0GHz on this board.

Hopefully one or two of you have OC on this board before!

Looking for info on why some options might not be in my BIOS, too? I remember reading something about Intel Watchdog? But I have no idea what that is.

Any help appreciated.

PCFREAK has an E6600 on that board still, he claims he was was able to get it to 3.6 24/7 from memory.

-The setting you want to change is the "MHz Host Clock speed" set it to around 333mhz which is the same as 333FSB

-now set your RAM to its lowest possible speed, it will be 667mhz so it doesn't interfere with the overclock

-add some more Vcore maybe up it to 1.35v

-set the CPU multiplier to 9x

-turn off eist and C state settings

-reboot

you should now be at 3ghz

also get Coretemp and realtemp to keep an eye on the temps and get CPUZ to see if you are at 3ghz

edit: judging by this screenshot http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1690_5.html I can see why you are having trouble the bios is a bit of a ghost town in terms of settings.

Edited by nesquick

Cool, I just wrote all that down... I'll go try it.

If it doesn't work out straight up, should I try going in 10MHz increments or something?

EDIT;

Did I do it right?

It says on these programs that the multiplier is 6x, too... when in the BIOS it said 9x (and wouldn't let me change it)... and the frequency on these temp programs keeps changing from 1999 to 2999 and anywhere inbetween.

Posted Image

Edited by Reb1rth.

yea mate that is perfect, its just EIST and C1E lowering the clocks to save power and reduce overall heat so never mind that unless you want 3.0ghz all the time just leave it how it is, it will go up to 3ghz under load however.

You need to stress test it using one of the following:

-occt for about 2 hours

-prime95 for about 4-8hours

-20 passes of LinX

-about 20-40minutes of the Linpack test in OCCT

if it passes one of those its stable ;) just keep an eye on temps anything over 70c is not good.

Edited by nesquick

Yeah. I'll try the stress stuff when I get home from work.

Also I turned that EIST thing off in the BIOS when I did it, but I couldn't find anything called "C state settings"...?

Yeah. I'll try the stress stuff when I get home from work.

Also I turned that EIST thing off in the BIOS when I did it, but I couldn't find anything called "C state settings"...?

to be honest it doesn't really matter, you wont see a discernible difference when it slows itself down compared to being at 3.0ghz since it will only do it at idle.

I bought a 4870 IceQ4+ today and after installation, booting my PC - shit itself on startup and I had to set back to default CPU clocks to get it going again.

So I'm re-doing it now, I'll keep an eye out for that 'SpeedStep' thing, thanks Squall.

Edited by Reb1rth.

Being an Intel board, the option might be called SpeedStep...

I couldn't check what it was because I was shaped and loading a picture takes like half an hour.

The EIST thing is Speedstep - I just checked.

Anyway, I am back at default clocks, as I just went through the same process to get my CPU back to 3.0GHz and it just flat out refuses to boot at anything above stock. :|

All that's changed is now I have a 4870 instead of a 3870...

Any ideas?

Being an Intel board, the option might be called SpeedStep...

I couldn't check what it was because I was shaped and loading a picture takes like half an hour.

oooh don't you just hate that, three days ago I was suffering from shaping, even atomic was taking ages.

Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W.

EDIT: Nobody can help? Ack... I need that little extra bit of power for ArmA II. :(

Edited by Reb1rth.

Try searching the archives for information relating to this board. Youll find that i posted a few tools and links to information that proves invaluable for overclocking this board.

It should also be noted that alot of the BIOSs released for this board are utter crap with a few FSB bios holes and some bugs. From memory the best BIOS i found was released not long after the board was released. :)

Xtremesystems had a bit of information regarding the board too however the boards following as long since died. It didnt live up to its older brother and was quickly forgotten in favour of some of the 965 boards which proved to be brilliant overclockers :)

Also make sure to have a fan on the NB it can get very hot.

Edited by PC FREAK